Sponsored by: DP Tuner

interesting plug found on truck, need help locating jumper cables for it

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting plug found on truck, need help locating jumper cables for it

Ok, I been really poking around the truck now that I have a few days off from work (about time) and I have this blue connector (see pictures) that reads "Anderson Power Products" and I am assuming that it is a booster cable connector for jumping other vehicles.

what I would like to figure out is where I can purchase (other then ebay) the jumper cable end of the plug (the cables for jumping cars) so I can have a complete system!

also if anyone knows a good way to remove the corrosion off the terminal ends with out breaking the whole thing apart (its one piece) please let me know!! kinda want to clean this up so I can use it if needed!!

Thanks for your assistance!

Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use Googley to find dealers in your area.
We use these for large equipment at work- very nice connectors. The contacts come out of the housing (see the data sheets for each connector), with some force required.
You can just buy new contacts and crimp them on. If you don't want to do that, you're better off taking the contacts out to clean them, otherwise they'll look this bad again in a short time (days).
If you scrape or sand off the corrosion, you'll be taking off the copper of the terminal and it may not make good contact when you need 'em.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Check with your local forklift dealer those are used on all electric forklifts. Different amperages use different size plugs so you can't hook the wrong charger up to them. You might want to get a dummy end to attach to it once you have it cleaned up to keep all that dirt out. It looks like you have some serious rust up under there too.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On the rear, most probably for a lift gate.

I have one Front & Back to Jump Start Vehicles for my business. And, a set of 06AWG 15' Jumper Cables. If I'm working on a road call and the battery has been exhausted I hook those up immediately with a 12,000 RPM Idle. When I'm done they're full charged again.

Order the same end at Grainger's and you can make up the set.

Yours looks to need some serious cleaning. use Battery cleaner or contact cleaner.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Cool, I think I have a granger place near by so ill check there, as for removing the contacts, how can I do this with out breaking the connector (i want to reuse it again for when I need to help jump a car)

thanks for the info so far guys!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Cool, I think I have a granger place near by so ill check there, as for removing the contacts, how can I do this with out breaking the connector (i want to reuse it again for when I need to help jump a car) thanks for the info so far guys!
With a new plug you will see how they're held in with a tab on the back side. Sometimes difficult to separate. But, patience will prevail and you will win. Separate ONE AT A TIME! Unless Welding!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas White

If I'm working on a road call and the battery has been exhausted I hook those up immediately with a 12,000 RPM Idle. When I'm done they're full charged again.
Really.....Pretty fast there.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
If I remember correctly, The ends are held in with a strong flat spring. You just reach in and push the flat bar down to release the end and the end pulls out. You most likely can clean the contact surface with a wire brush. Once cleaned, just push them back in until they snap I place. I never crimped the ends on, I soldered them.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I ran the same connectors for my jumper cables when I had my Zena welder installed. I picked up a few extra connectors at my local 4 wheel parts store (WARN). Many others make them and put their name on them so shop around.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would strongly suggest you disconnect the other end of those wires before you start messing with those connectors. You don't want to see what 75 amps of flash does to your electrical system. My bet says they are either hooked up direct to the Batteries or at least to the main Power tap running EVERYTHING!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well I am considering just leaving it alone, its not hurting any thing right now and I don't feel like damaging anything until I know more where things are located on these things....may try and find a local place that knows more about these and see if they might be able to help with cleaning them up sadly the stupid bolt holding it in place sheerd off so I got to figure out how to get it out or remount this thing....oh well...

thanks for the useful info sheet tho should help!

Old 07-23-2015, 05:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My company has several battery "rooms" - areas where a forklift can drive in and swap the battery out. Just to show what those connectors are typically used for, here is an image of a forklift battery - but the connector is bigger than the one on the OP's truck. This battery is about 40" wide, and it takes a hoist to lift it into the forklift.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas White

I have one Front & Back to Jump Start Vehicles for my business. And, a set of 06AWG 15' Jumper Cables. If I'm working on a road call and the battery has been exhausted I hook those up immediately with a 12,000 RPM Idle. When I'm done they're full charged again.

Order the same end at Grainger's and you can make up the set.

Yours looks to need some serious cleaning. use Battery cleaner or contact cleaner.

what engine you got that will idle at 12 grand????

Quick Reply: interesting plug found on truck, need help locating jumper cables for it