Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Car/truck Buying Advice
Reload this Page >

Truck purchase advice needed

Notices

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM
osualum78
New User
osualum78 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello, new here and it seems as if you all can of great help.

I'm not new to Fords (I have an 03 SVT Terminator) and my first vehicle back in the day was an 85 Bronco II Eddie Bauer (<-- yeah I typed that lol). Anyways, I currently have an 02 Tahoe 4x4 I'm getting out of and I'm wanting to get into a truck. I narrowed my brands down to Ford or Ram (I almost considered Toyota as well). Obviously this being a Ford forum everyone will be pro-Ford. No problem. I'm looking for help to determine which truck will suit my needs the best.

First let me start off with my requirements:
- looking at model years 2014, 2015, 2016, preferrably the newer the better
- crew cab
- short box
- 4x4
- SRW
- gotta be bale to stuff my son (3 years old) and another baby (trying for number two) in the back in car seats and the wife in the front seat
- price isn't an issue between a 6.2 gas and TD. I'm not looking to waste money, but I want the truck that best suits my needs
- looking at Platinum package
- do these have the child LATCH system in the rear seats? The F250 I test drove just had the top latch connector in the rear wall, not the bottom tabs for the child seat (was not a Platinum model, was a "plain" Lariat or XLT I test drove)
- please do not suggest an Ecocrap. NOT considering one of those contraptions
- GOTTA BE ABLE TO TOW APPROX. 12,000 lbs (28 or 30 foot enclosed car hauler that has all options, toolbox, tools, generator, golf cart, extra fuel etc.)

PLEASE NOTE: my towing needs will be around (maybe a little less) the weight listed above. My towing quantity would be roughly 20-30 times a year, all within 80 miles round trip, 70% being to my local drag strip which would be around 20 miles roundtrip. I may travel once/twice/three times a year longer distances (at least +2 hour drive time, one way). I will not be towing every weekend nor during winter months. My primary use with the truck will be city/stoplight driving for hauling kid(s) and drive to and from work. I'm not concerned with the "best" fuel economy if that truck doesn't meet my needs.

So I really wanted a 6.2L Raptor (no, please do not suggest the new Ecocrap one coming out soon). I love everything about it, but due to the long suspension travel it's OEM towing rating is well below my needs. I know lots of people put air bags under them to get the towing rating to where it needs to be, but doing that is not really my cup of tea.... but doable if needed, so a Raptor isn't out of the question. I also know the 6.2L Raptor get worse economy ratings than a F250/350 6.2L because of the different ring and pinion ratio and the bigger tires. There are many pro's for a Raptor such as expected higher resale, they have HID projectors, having 2 SVT's would be cool, etc.

But I'm resigned to swaying away from a Raptor and going with an F250 or F350.

An F250 or F350 seems to better suit my needs over a Raptor. Better fuel economy, higher towing rating, meets all my other needs, etc. The feature that kills me on the 250/350 are just standard halogen headlights. I do drive at night. I like to see. Halogens are junk compared to HID projectors or the new F150 LEDs.

My dilema:

Go with a 250 or 350? It seems they only big difference is payload? Payload doesn't matter to me btw

Go with 6.2 gas or 6.7 TD (aka Powerchoke as they are called around here). I know my towing needs (weight or quantity don't really dicate going with a 6.7, but I'm not ruling it out).

I know this. I do not want the truck breaking down on me left and right. I don't want to have to deal with EGT issues or injectors getting hung up or heads lifting like that can happen on older Powerstrokes.

I was set on the 6.2 gas 250 or 350 but the towing advantage of the turbo diesel and fuel economy advantage are why I'm not sure which way to go.

So would I be better of with a:
F250 6.2L
F350 6.2L
F250 6.7 TD
F350 6.7 TD

Please reply with your knowledge and why, and feel free to ask me any questions
Thank you

Old 07-21-2015, 12:41 PM
1956MarkII
Post Fiend
1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.
1) How many miles per year will you be putting on this thing?
2) Is it conventional or fifth-wheel towing?
3) So the trailer is 12,000 lbs. fully loaded: how much weight are you putting in the bed?
4) How long do you plan on keeping it?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 PM
osualum78
New User
1) it will be my DD, so average DD miles 10-15k, like I said mostly city stoplight kid hauling/to and fro work. Tow miles would around 3k-5k of that (to my local drag strip and local open track mainly)
2) bumper pull trailer (I have not purchased a trailer yet though, that what my weights are a range in some regards)
3) it should be just under 12k total gross weight for the trailer loaded down. All three modsel meet my payload requirements
4) keep it t least over 3 years but prolly more than 10

Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 PM
1956MarkII
Post Fiend
1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.
1) Diesel vs. gas, I have to use local prices of $2.85 average for gas, $3.15 for diesel. Basing this on what's been posted on FTE for mpg for these motors, it looks like one can expect upwards of 14 for the 6.2 (highway, steady 55mph, no towing) and about 20 for the 6.7. At 15,000 mi per year, it would take about 12-13 years just to break even buying the diesel, and that doesn't account for additional sales tax or finance charge.

2) If a Ford truck is rated to 12,000 lbs and you're towing a 12,000 trailer, you're done: your payload capacity is ZERO. You also have to have an empty cab (no passengers, no cargo or gear inside). If you're carrying additional items in the bed, you need to subtract that weight from your towing capacity. This is why I asked how much you'll be carrying in the bed: if it's significant, that may force you to go with the 6.7.

3) The Platinum will give you everything you need, but if you should go with a lesser trim, make sure you get all the options you want.

4) The hook behind the carpet panel, about 6 inches below the rear window, is the LATCH for child-safety seats (there should be three of them).

Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 PM
osualum78
New User
All modern cars (like my Tahoe and my wife's Acura have the "hoops" where the seat back and seat bottom meet. The 250 I drove didn't. Our Recaro car seat uses the latching system for those hooks

Old 07-21-2015, 11:15 PM
osualum78
New User
I agree on your diesel vs gas analysis hence why I was going to go gas, unless my pull weight dictates the diesel. I won't need payload for the bed when towing because everything will be in the trailer, ezcept other occupants. This other everything was part of my rounding up calculation in my gross pull weight. I didn't account for other passengers though. I'm estimating around 6k for the trailer dry weight, 3500 for my car, 1k for golf cart, around 300 for extra fuel, around say 150 for a generator = 10950 lbs. Add in tools and people and I think I'll be around 12,000 lbs... maybe under... but I can only estimate at this point.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 PM
osualum78
New User
I can't post a pic of the proper LATCH system I'm talking about? If you provide me another means to get a pic to you I will if you don't have experience/know what I'm taking about in regards to that.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE

It's great to find out what you really want - but can you afford it? I mean really afford it. Dave Ramsey, the financial advisor fellow, suggests that unless one simply pays cash for a vehicle, one can't afford it.

That may be a little extreme - but I was taught to never borrow money to buy a depreciating asset. A vehicle certainly qualifies. Most financial advisors suggest taking on no more than 36 months payments. I think this is a good balance. Anything longer and the buyer will always be underwater.

Check out these stats from Experian. Don't be these guys. Younger folks may not understand, be ause they have no prior experience to base things on. Lunacy is all they've known. Trust me, this is crazy stuff.

By the numbers (Q1 data from Experian):
Average loan term for new cars is now 67 months &mdash; a record.
Average loan term for used cars is now 62 months &mdash; a record.
Loans with terms from 74 to 84 months made up 30% of all new vehicle financing &mdash; a record.
Loans with terms from 74 to 84 months made up 16% of all used vehicle financing &mdash; a record.
The average amount financed for a new vehicle was $28,711 &mdash; a record.
The average payment for new vehicles was $488 &mdash; a record.
The percentage of all new vehicles financed accounted for by leases was 31.46% &mdash; a record.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 AM
osualum78
New User
Tedster9, thanks for the welcoming.... but what do my finances have to do with anything? They're not yours or anyone else's business. I'm simply asking which truck will better suit my needs. Beyond that, no one should care. Advise me on what meets my needs/wants and which truck is best for those, not what I should or shouldn't do with my finances. I could be financing, I could be paying cash. It's irrelevant here

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Yes, i appreciate you have your opinion. I'm not meaning to beat up on you, sorry that you took it that way. I apologize for that. Maybe out of line. I promise to end the lecture.

This IS a public forum though of course, what I'm getting at is thousands of others will read it - hopefully somebody will learn from others mistakes, including my own.

That was really my only thought there, as I've seen it so often, and as the latest stats show, apparently nobody is being taught this stuff anymore. I disagree at one level - it's all kinds of people's "business" whether you can afford something - the finance company, credit reporting agencies, the dealership, your spouse, the repo man, the divorce attorney, etc. see where I'm goin' with that?

If not here, where?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
1956MarkII
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by osualum78 View Post
All modern cars (like my Tahoe and my wife's Acura have the "hoops" where the seat back and seat bottom meet. The 250 I drove didn't. Our Recaro car seat uses the latching system for those hooks
Don't ask me how Ford gets away with this, but there are no lower anchors for child safety seats in any Super-Duty. The owner's manual says that the 3-point safety belt holds the base of the seat in place, and the anchor on the back wall is for securing the top of the seat. Both RAM and GM have the lower anchors, at least in the half-ton models we have on our used car lot.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM
KSwartz2010
New User
KSwartz2010 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here is the official Ford spec for towing:
2016 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com

If you are going to be towing 12K have you thought about a DRW? I know you said a SRW but if you are looking for towing power mostly, then a DRW Diesel might be a good option for you. Either way you go, for towing, a diesel might be your best bet. Just make sure you get the bigger 4.30 axle ratio. Or a F-350/250 gas DRW can tow 15K.

In my opinion, I would get a gas DRW. But that would be me if I were in your situation.