1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought '53 f100 , making a DD . A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM
TwoToneBullnose
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought '53 f100 , making a DD . A few questions

Hey, just bought a '53 f100 , i have a few questions , anyone know where to get cab corners?? I see one side available on ebay .... looking for both or I'll just have to fab them my self i suppose... Other than that trucks pretty clean .

i'll try to snap some pics . thanks !

Old 07-19-2015, 05:43 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Right and Left $66.50 at NPD, (National Parts Depot).

Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts has both front and rear cab corners, as well as the often also needed inside reinforcement panels on pg. 107 of the catalog. You can download their catalog online, but there is a wealth of useful information and drawings in it that you will want to have a print copy next to you when working on your truck. Give them a call and request a print copy, it's free (including the call)! All the gals there (it's all female owned and operated!!!) eats sleeps and dreams 53-56's, has hands on experience with about everything they sell and are very helpful. They are also sponsors here.

A NY truck that only has rust in the cab corners??? Did you bring it in from WAY outside the state? (I grew up in Buffalo and most 6 year old vehicles had major rust issues, much less a 60 year old one.)
You may find my post on forming a build plan in this forum topic https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1955-f250.html of use to you.

Post some pix of your truck we love pictures! It's easy to add pictures to your posts if you have digital pix on your computer or on the internet or cloud.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:08 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
CRS forgot about Mid-Fifty. They have items not available elsewhere. Thanks AX

Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GLR
CRS forgot about Mid-Fifty. They have items not available elsewhere. Thanks AX
That's what makes this place great, none of us has all the answers all the time, so we have each other's back for those CRS moments!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer?
If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the
pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose
a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon
at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog
box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to
find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose
copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from
the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now
left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to
have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these
days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture
and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your
picture taking device before you can post it.

If you are a supporter than just right click on an image from anywhere like Facebook
or whatever. Than left click in your post and paste it in. So simple even a monkey
could do it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:37 PM
greenmachine55
Tuned
Excellent info!!! I could not of said it better! All you guys rock!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 01:19 PM
TwoToneBullnose
New User
wow so many replies thank you . I'm going to snap a pic for you guys, the trucks looks to have been inside , not fully out of the elements maybe an old stall or barn?? Still looking for the cab corners , the one company said " description .... parts are crinkled and not that good" haha wow .

Old 07-27-2015, 02:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TwoToneBullnose
wow so many replies thank you . I'm going to snap a pic for you guys, the trucks looks to have been inside , not fully out of the elements maybe an old stall or barn?? Still looking for the cab corners , the one company said " description .... parts are crinkled and not that good" haha wow .
If that was from Mid Fifty, then you aren't going to find better anywhere else, if not from MF, call and ask about the quality of their corners. They are very honest about it, and they seek out the very best quality available, if theirs aren't as good as desirable, there isn't anything better out there. All the gals at MF have hands on experience with using their parts, unlike the sales people at most everyplace else.
The reality of this hobby is it's a very tiny market, so there is only a couple manufacturers at most for any given part. All the suppliers must get their parts from these few sources. Most will buy the least expensive parts, warehouse them and the sales people often never even see or touch them, must less use them. I have to give MF credit, they hold on premises classes for their employees where they all do hands on install of their parts on an actual truck.
The only other option would be to make (or remake) your own parts, just like we all had to do back in the (bad/good ol') days when you couldn't buy them at all.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Just on craigslist not that far from you.
1953 1954 1955 f-100 f-200 truck parts
do I see a cab corner?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
What's an F200? Is he selling the whole thing or parts?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM
TwoToneBullnose
New User
Hey ! Reporting back , have most of the truck sanded down to bare metal , used a variable speed buffer/ with a 6" sanding pad hook and loop , tears paint off in one pass .

Does anyone know how to remove the back window? Is it a pain in the butt??
I have some welding / a few pin holes to patch up and dont want to melt the seal or discolor the window .

Thanks in advance , trust me i have more questions too .

Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Best to cut the seal rather than try to pry the window out. New ones are available.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Yep cut the seal and save the glass. I just put a new seal and glass in my 53 and it was a PITA! I even bought the rope and handle install tool but it was still hard to get in. Once in it fit great.

Quick Reply: Just bought '53 f100 , making a DD . A few questions