best carburetor for truck 390? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

best carburetor for truck 390?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:46 AM
eclectix
Senior User
eclectix is starting off with a positive reputation.
best carburetor for truck 390?

what is the best carburetor for a truck 390? i will probably get an edelbrock performer intake manifold to go with.

i have received one suggestion to go with an edelbrock carburetor.

i am looking for reliability and simplicity as well as fuel mileage.

i might be putting this together quickly so any timely specific (no jargon please, i am not technical in this area) advice appreciated.

thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Roger C
Senior User
Roger C is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm going to use a 4100 on my 390. It was on my 352 and worked great.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:27 AM
lee
Elder User
lee is starting off with a positive reputation.
2x4 or 4x4?

If mileage is your concern, stay with a 2bbl, if you must have a 4bbl then stay out of the secondary.... good luck with that ;-)

If you do alot of 4x4 stuff, the Holley Truck Avenger is a good Carb. Carbs don't like large angels and bouncing. The Truck Avenger is made to compensate for this.

Any Holley in the 650cfm range should do fine but,... stay away from the double pumpers as they are more of a Strip/race carb. Use a vacumm secondary Holley.

Edelbrock made good carb too. I have ran the Street Avenger with success.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:10 PM
eclectix
Senior User
Thanks for the useful tips guys.

The 4100 referred to-- is that autolite? is it the stock ford carburetor that comes with a 360?

It sounds as if i could stick with the 2 barrel stock carburetor for the moment, and explore the 4 barrel notion later (if ever). I had heard that the Edelbrock carb has an economy mode at low throttle. Also that the Holley carbs were prone to decay.

For the future, how about EFI then (say an Edelbrock kit), would that help gas mileage and if so, how much?

(I am asking this in relation to the notion of replacing my 360 with a 390, and wondering what else i should attend to while doing that.)

Old 07-12-2015, 04:51 PM
lee
Elder User
lee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, the 4100 is an Autolite carb.

I don't have experience with EFI but would imagine it would be more efficient. Trouble is that to recoup the cost of the EFI purchase/install you would have to drive the truck a lot.

To be honest, the FE family of engines were known to be decent output engines that could take a beating and survive. I have read of a 511 stroked monster putting out ~800 ponys on methanol!!!

They were never known to be good on the gas though, especially by today's standards.

If I were you, the first upgrade I would do would be to get rid of those horrible stock exhaust manifolds and replace with headers/duels..... if you haven't already.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 AM
eclectix
Senior User
Originally Posted by lee View Post

I don't have experience with EFI but would imagine it would be more efficient. Trouble is that to recoup the cost of the EFI purchase/install you would have to drive the truck a lot.

To be honest, the FE family of engines were known to be decent output engines that could take a beating and survive. I have read of a 511 stroked monster putting out ~800 ponys on methanol!!!

They were never known to be good on the gas though, especially by today's standards.

If I were you, the first upgrade I would do would be to get rid of those horrible stock exhaust manifolds and replace with headers/duels..... if you haven't already.
The advice of the shop installing the new exhaust headers is to perform all of the engine modifications at once rather than one at a time.

so i am scoping out all of the possibilities now instead of afterwards when it is too late to second guess doing it one at a time, at more cost.

thanks for your input. i may just hold the line at exhaust headers for now. but i have to explore fully all of the options currently open to me now. hope this makes sense.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Depending on cam ,heads , C/R
stock ish a 600- 650 should work well
check out the Factory Holley Refurbished on Ebay you can normally save some good $$
I bought my 3310s 750 holley on there very happy with it

Old 07-13-2015, 01:39 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
I put a Holley Street Avenger with electric choke on my 428 2 years ago and haven't had to touch it since.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM
PROSTOCK
Posting Guru
PROSTOCK is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had numerous Holleys over the past 30-some years, and I've worked on them A LOT. When I converted my then 352 to a 4v intake I needed another carb and wasn't going with another Holley. Alas, I found a factory Ford Holley off a 460 I believe on ebay for $35 and bought it (635 CFM IIRC). Swore I wasn't going to use it but after cleaning it up I bolted it on and I have not touched it since. I mean even the elec. choke works ok. That was 2001. I'm a firm believer now that a Ford made by Holley carb is better than your typical aftermarket carb. That said, I've heard they are much improved today.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:13 PM
eclectix
Senior User
this seems to be the best alternative

edelbrock performer fe 2105

Intake Manifolds - Ford - Big-Block - Performer Series - Edelbrock, LLC.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2105

$349.14

edelbrock 1406 performer 600cfm carburetor electric choke calibrated for fuel economy

Performance Carburetors and Accessories - Performer Series Carburetors - Edelbrock, LLC.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...FU2SfgodVBADMA

$329.95

Old 08-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Wklink
New User
Wklink is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by lee View Post

4100 is a good carb. Never ran one on a truck but my T-birds and Fairlane both have a 1.10 or 1.08 version and the things are nearly bulletproof.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 PM
PA74F250
Posting Guru
PA74F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The classic 4160 Holley 600 vac secondary is my vote. Not overly fancy but a good sized carb for the application. If it's right it will do better than the 2 barrel on gas and have the performance when you want it.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 AM
tbm3fan
Postmaster
tbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Wklink View Post
4100 is a good carb. Never ran one on a truck but my T-birds and Fairlane both have a 1.10 or 1.08 version and the things are nearly bulletproof.
I agree whether a 4100 or 2100. In fact my Dodge has a 2150 on it since none of the crap Holley 2bbl, from the era, can run worth a damn.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 AM
7Ford6
Senior User
7Ford6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by eclectix View Post

For the future, how about EFI
Quadrajet the poor mans EFI.. I adapted one to my 390 and love it.. I never could get my holly or eldebrock to run as well on the same engine.. Thus they collect dust.. Guess it all comes down to what your comfortable working with.. I'm just better with a Q jet in hand..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:43 AM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.DeepRoots has a good reputation on FTE.
I've got a little of the best of both worlds kinda thing...
I run a Holley 4010 600cfm.
It is essentially Holley's take of the Autolite carb.
It takes cheap/available Holley replacement parts, yet has the design and annular boosters of the Autolite.

13ish mpg in a pickup truck and great engine responsiveness.
I believe Summit makes a carb now that is modeled off the 4010.

Only complaint? It isn't the best machining, and the metal is kinda soft, very easy to strip out bolts if you are too rough with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best carburetor for truck 390?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.