Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2005 Ford Escape History

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:55 AM
donsabi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford Escape History

I bought my 05 Escape new. This was a replacement for my 4x4 F150 gas guzzler. I was doing a lot of traveling at the time and soon had 5k miles. I noticed the ride and handling wasn't as good as at first. Dealer did nothing to help. I soon learned the problem was the cheap Continental tires and at 10k miles replaced them with a leading brand. The car immediate handled and rode so much better. All that money for a new car with junk tires, that is just sad.
Then I noticed a vibration at 45-55mph and was getting worse. I took the car in many times but again no faults and the dealer could not duplicate the problem. (Sound familiar)? Finally I exceeded the warranty 3/36k and now they said it was the tranmission fluid which I had changed several time over with no improvement. I looked into replacing the tranny at a cost of about $5k. I went to an aftermarket tranny and their cost was $27OO with a six month guarantee. The mech. there told me to drive it until it falls out before fixing it. I took his advice. Finally got to 60k miles and a fellow Ford retiree riding in my car and noticing the vibration told me it was called "shutter" and Ford knew all about it. He recommended a product called, Dr._____ Shutter Fix and it worked. I drove the car until 150k miles adding that product as needed. Please remember, Ford never heard of this problem.
I did all the recommended maintenance and just after the 150k mark had a check engine light. I took my car to the dealer I am dealing with now about my 2015 Escape. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, cleared the fault, and charged me $150. Within a week the car stopped dead. Diagnosed with seized catylic converters which did a lot of damage to the engine. I had to junk the car.
Bittened once I didn't learn. I am a Ford retiree and wanted to believe in the product. I bought a 2015 Escape from the same dealer who failed to diagosed the problem on my 05 Escape. Well, here I am again. I have a hesitation problem that Ford/Dealer fails to acknowledge and the tactic is to stall until the warranty runs. out.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. This will be the last Ford product I will buy.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
You need to find a Ford Dealer with competent technicians. The cats in my 01 Escape clogged and for $65 the tech diagnosed the problem in about 10 minutes after hooking it to a laptop. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this dealer. I am a Ford retiree also and the cost of and number of repairs on my Escape mainly and other Fords made me go a different route this time.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:42 PM
donsabi
Freshman User
I would if I could but there are 3 dealers in my area and the one I am going to is the better of the three.
From my experience with my 05 Escape I know I will need to trade this 15 Escape before the end of my 3/36k. I am suppose to take it back to the dealer and of corse they will not find anything wrong. I will be looking into the lemon law. I am convicted Ford is aware of this issue and is trying to cover it up.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by donsabi
I would if I could but there are 3 dealers in my area and the one I am going to is the better of the three.
From my experience with my 05 Escape I know I will need to trade this 15 Escape before the end of my 3/36k. I am suppose to take it back to the dealer and of corse they will not find anything wrong. I will be looking into the lemon law. I am convicted Ford is aware of this issue and is trying to cover it up.
Where do you live? I am sure someone on the forum could point you to a better Ford Service department.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
donsabi said:"Diagnosed with seized catylic converters which did a lot of damage to the engine. I had to junk the car."

Well, even if the converters melted into a pile of goo, they would not do a lot of damage to the engine as far as I can tell. All they would do is block the exhaust gas from leaving, and the engine would run slower and slower until it quit. Once the pressure relieved, it would repeat the process. I do not see how that could/would damage the engine.
In your case, with your experience, I would do two things: 1)get the extended powertrain warranty from the dealer or a good independent. and 2) find a local mechanic that is reputable, able to do good diagnosis, and is reasonable in charges{does not need the boat payment or the daughters braces paid for in one shot}.
You likely were charged for two hours work for the diagnosis, which is about 2 times what it should have been. Melted, clogged, destroyed, pick your adjective, converters are simple to diagnose. The engine will run, and it will not be able to exceed low rpms after running for a bit. There may be whistling noises from the smallest leaks in the exhaust system. If you remove the upstream O2 sensors, the engine will run fine again, but might have a tendency to melt stuff under the hood, so is not a permanent solution.
You can give up on the product, but I suggest you give up on the dealer. You do NOT have to go to the dealer for normal maintenance, and may even be able to go to an independent for some warranty work.
You can also talk to the 'zone manager' who handles an area of dealerships, tries to resolve problems amicably and fairly, and will sometimes provide $$ type resources when it seems the customer is being charged for something that should have been covered. They can unofficially do work after the time/mileage limits have been passed, and either contribute parts or labor.
tom

Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
ol'yeller
Senior User
My experience with my wife's 2005 Escape Limited AWD is completely different. Hers now has just over 120K and has been virtually troublefree. We have been fairly good about oil changes and she did have a complete service at 60K. Other than a battery a few years ago, and a couple of brake jobs (all normal wear and tear) there have been no issues. The AWD is a joy to use in the snow.

The original tires were an issue and replacement didn't solve all the cabin noise issues but I have to say that this has been one of the most trouble free vehicles I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of vehicles.

I have many design bones to pick over it and it isn't my car of choice but my wife loves it.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
donsabi
Freshman User
The reasons the 05 Escape was that it's blue book value was around $3k. The estimate I got from the servicer was almost the same and I was cautioned that this price did not include any engine damage. I was looking at at least $3k in repairs on a car worth the same. I was paid $1k for the car.
I had a check engine light. Went to dealer who said nothing wrong, cleared the fault light, and charged me about $150. In the following week the car was running rough especially on hills. I took it back and was told it was because of the damp, rainy weather we were having and to bring it in when the weather cleared. At the end of that week with the car running slower and slower it finally was hardy able to move and it came to a stop and would not start.
This was my only car.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:27 PM
donsabi
Freshman User
I am in the Tri-Cities area. When I lived here years ago I went to Ramey Ford in Johnson City and got good service.
I recently moved back to the area and thought I was going to Ramey Ford only to find out Ramey sold and changed names. New owner and the service was dissappointing.
I have been thinking about going to Greeneville or Elizabethton for service but have not heard anything about them.
Any suggestions for this area? Thanks.