1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie with a '52 F1 (imediate rebuild and much more)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 PM
_Chuck_
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie with a '52 F1 (imediate rebuild and much more)

Hi Folks, I am new to the forum and relatively new to old trucks. I just picked up a 1952 Ford F1 for fun. I knew the motor was in bad shape when I test drove it. I didn't know it couldn't make it the 50 miles home. AAA came in handy. ...the paint job really shines :-)

I have been reading up on the truck, and spending quite a bit of time reviewing the great posts on this forum--tons of information and insights--thanks! It might have helped to read-up before my impulsive buy. Then I might have realized the pickup had a 223 in it, not the original 215, as the Prior Owner claimed. Oh well, I'm committed now, and still happy to have it and the hobby it will be to fix it up.

At the top of my work list is getting another motor in it, preferably a 215 or next best case rebuilding the 223. It has been decades since I rebuilt motors in my backyard, so I will farm out most the heavy lifting. Here is the rest of my initial work list, intending to get it back to looking original:

1. Replace or rework the motor. I have just started searching for a 215. If I cannot find one quick I will get the 223 rebuild, save any headaches trying to undo any prior retrofitting. Also need some motor mount rubber bushings.

2. Install some seat belts, so my 5 and 6 year old grand-sons can take the occasional errand run with me.

3. Find some original wheels and replica whitewalls. I have found quite a bit of information about wheels and tires in this forum, though I have not found some reasonably priced wheels. I did find someone in WA with some really rusty ones, holding firm on $185 ea. I can run the current custom wheels for a few months while I look for a fair price.

4. Level the cab; it seems to list an inch to the driver's side. I am hoping I can find a way to resolve any worn or split frame pads to resolve this. ...zero experience in this area.

5. Get the dash gauges to work, or replace them. ...not sure where the disconnect is for the speedometer. The other gauges likely did not survive the 12 volt conversion. Will probably need a 6 volt converter to get the gauges to work.

6. Put in an original or replica radio and speaker with original mounting and cover. This will replace some 'nice' black sheetmetal someone put in to fill the hole.

7. Put in an original or replica wiper switch. Otherwise, repairing defrost conduits will pretty much clean up the interior.

8. Replace the spare tire carriage.

9. Repair the wing-window seal.

10. I have some replica mirrors arriving this week.

11. Solve for how the bumper conceals the license plate.

12. Plug a 1.5" hole in the driver's front ender, and holes from the aftermarket driver's-side mirror.

13. Put a key-lock back in the driver's door; and, get the passenger door to lock. I have some original key-locks arriving next week.

14. I think the '52 should have a wood bed, so I need to figure out what's up with the apparent steel bed that it has.

That's my work list so far. Here are some pic's.

Chuck Tremblay
Portland Oregon

Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your 223 is in some ways better than a 215, I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it. For one thing parts are easier to find. Besides, it's there!

An economical way to get "more original" wheels is to use 70's - 80's F-150 wheels with the same bolt pattern. But they won't accept the older hubcaps. I got mine at the boneyard for $20 each. They are wider and have safety features the old wheels don't have, and are made for tubeless tires.

The license plate being "somewhat" obscured by the bumper doesn't seem to bother most LEO's.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking truck you have there. The cab tilt is most likely a bad rear cab mount. If one mount is bad, they probably all need replacing. regarding the license plate, either the truck came new without a bumper, or someone used the wrong bracket for the taillight. There were two bracket, one with and one without a rear bumper.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Youve got a nice starting point there.
Ive got some original 16" wheels
Available if your wanting original.
Way cheaper than what you mentioned.

Also have a spare 223 but dont know its condition.
Anyway. Sounds like youve got a good list of things to work on for a bit.

Josh

Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think your truck only had the key lock on
the passenger side originally. None on
the drivers side. Be careful as it is easy to
lock yourself out of the cab.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:12 PM
_Chuck_
Freshman User
Hey, thanks for the opening comments, Folks.

Ross, I may be headed the 223 rebuild route.I have not had much luck finding a 215 on short notice.I have the truck at a local mechanic ship, and I really want to have it come out running in a few weeks.And, thanks for the other tips.

Joe, do you think it would be possible to replace the cab mounts without pulling the cab all the way off, say one at a time?Interesting that there might be a license plate bracket that can work with the bumper.I will do some looking.

Josh, I will send you a note regarding those wheels. Thanks.

Arctic y block, thanks for the lock tip.After that I looked as several restoration photos; it seems some have driver door locks and some don’t.I will watch for references to determine whether it was an option or something.To your point, now I am eager to repair the passenger door lock, so that I don’t get locked out. J

Chuck

Old 07-07-2015, 04:47 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome Chuck. That is a nice looking truck. Cab mounts can be replaced without removing the cab. They are available from several sources. Here is one:
LMC Truck cab mounts

If you replace the front mounts as Joe wisely suggested make sure that you check the mounting holes in the frame to see if they have been wallowed out. If so a little simple weld will fix it. If you don't fix it you may have erratic closing of the hood as a shifting body translates to quite a bit of movement out at the front of the hood.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
_Chuck_
Freshman User
Thanks Pete, great tip!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 PM
_Chuck_
Freshman User
Well, I have pretty much given up on finding a 215, and started pulling the substituted 223 for a rebuild. :-( I did see a 215 on Craigslist, but the owner did not want to ship and it looked like junk anyway.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:28 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
There is a set of 16" s on eBay also.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Chuck! Good looking truck. I believe the Five Star cabs had the additional options, including a DS lock, windshield chrome, and some interior elements - none of which appear to be present.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome Chuck, we have got a few new members (soon to be friends) as of late. I think is great. If you've been following the site for a bit you already know this is special one, where other members seem to be more friends than anything else. Pretty nice truck you got yourself there, if you enjoy the experience 1/2 as much as I have you are in for a wonderful time.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For simplicity I just put my response in red in your quote.
Originally Posted by _Chuck_
Hi Folks, I am new to the forum and relatively new to old trucks. I just picked up a 1952 Ford F1 for fun. I knew the motor was in bad shape when I test drove it. I didn't know it couldn't make it the 50 miles home. AAA came in handy. ...the paint job really shines :-)

I have been reading up on the truck, and spending quite a bit of time reviewing the great posts on this forum--tons of information and insights--thanks! It might have helped to read-up before my impulsive buy. Then I might have realized the pickup had a 223 in it, not the original 215, as the Prior Owner claimed. Oh well, I'm committed now, and still happy to have it and the hobby it will be to fix it up.

At the top of my work list is getting another motor in it, preferably a 215 or next best case rebuilding the 223. It has been decades since I rebuilt motors in my backyard, so I will farm out most the heavy lifting. Here is the rest of my initial work list, intending to get it back to looking original:

1. Replace or rework the motor. I have just started searching for a 215. If I cannot find one quick I will get the 223 rebuild, save any headaches trying to undo any prior retrofitting. Also need some motor mount rubber bushings.

215s are easy to find when you are not looking for one! It like anything else, once you get the 223 rebuilt 215s will start coming out of the wood work. For sanity's sake , once you commit to the 223 quit looking for a 215. Are you sure the engine needs a total rebuild?

2. Install some seat belts, so my 5 and 6 year old grand-sons can take the occasional errand run with me.

At minimum you'll need three good lap belts. There are child restraints made for smaller children that use a lap belt. This style looks like a padded board with shoulder straps. It's designed for the center lap belt in a pickup. The trucks belt needs to be pulled incredibly tight to install a child restraint. There are locking clips available to lock the strap.

3. Find some original wheels and replica whitewalls. I have found quite a bit of information about wheels and tires in this forum, though I have not found some reasonably priced wheels. I did find someone in WA with some really rusty ones, holding firm on $185 ea. I can run the current custom wheels for a few months while I look for a fair price.

Fortunately wheels are a lot more common than say a 215. Ford cars used the same wheel to 1948 so for a 16" skinny disk wheels late 30s to late 40s Ford car is the same wheel.
Ford Model A pattern 5x51/2
Ford car 1928-48...not counting the artillery wheels of the mid 30s Of course Model A and early V8 spoked wheels will bolt to the hub but will not clear the drum....You need the late 30s up disc wheels.
Ford truck...1928-1996
Chrysler....1930s-80s the early MOPARcars used the same pattern as did Dodge trucks to the 80s? watch the offset!
****** Overland....****** car pre war and post warJeeps use the same pattern but Jeep wheels have no provision for the cap.
Easy button.....1966 up outie Ford truck wheel. Use a 1957 Ford dog dish cap.
One word of caution .......if using a 1950s and older wheel you must use tubes even with a tubeless radial. These wheels were made so the old tube tire could be dismounted by hand. If a tubeless tire is run on low pressure on a tube type wheel, the tire can dismount!

4. Level the cab; it seems to list an inch to the driver's side. I am hoping I can find a way to resolve any worn or split frame pads to resolve this. ...zero experience in this area.

It could be the bed/body panel alignment not the cab.
You need to get under there and find out what the problem is. I'm a little above average and it's really easy for me to get stuck under an F-1 on it's wheels. The fenders and boards act like a Chinese finger trap I can slide in under it easy but sliding out is a different matter...it grabs me.
A lift would be great, other wise you'll have to use proper jack stands or ramps and of course observing all safety precaution.
Look for home made mounts.....
Look for chassis damage.
Look for broken springs.
Look for deterated rubber and rusted away factory mounts
Look for frame twist
I was fire officer for 20 years Our 1983 Pierce Dash Pumper had a slight list from when it was new. No real detriment it just had a slight lean....Maybe the torque of the engine???? Any how The city went back and fourth with the manufacturer. Long story short....It still has that lean to this day and has served it's city well for decades. I mention that only in case no detrimental frame, cab or chassis damage is found. If it aligns good and drives well it may be better to just live with it.

5. Get the dash gauges to work, or replace them. ...not sure where the disconnect is for the speedometer. The other gauges likely did not survive the 12 volt conversion. Will probably need a 6 volt converter to get the gauges to work.

The amp gauge usually survives. Most who do a conversion have no idea what they are doing as do most who "re wire" a vehicle.
Ford used low voltage gauges up to EFI...maybe beyond. From 1956 up Ford used a voltage reducer incorporated into the dash harness to protect the gauges.....1955 last year for 6 volts....... That dash gauge reducer is still available It's not the cheesy porcelain Chrysler ignition reducer that gets hot and burns up over a short period of time, it's a quality component deigned for that purpose.
I would try see whats salvageable. The AMP gauge could care less whether 6 or 12 volt, the oil, fuel and temp gauge may be fried ...maybe not.
Also I would double check how the voltage is reduced to the ignition coil. As said the porcelain blocks are a PIA. I would use a quality 56 up Ford ballast resistor wire to the ignition coil.
Lastly I like to use mechanical gauges for the oil and temp.....give a n excuse for moon eys and is much better than idiot lights.

6. Put in an original or replica radio and speaker with original mounting and cover. This will replace some 'nice' black sheetmetal someone put in to fill the hole.
You should be able to find most of that stuff. Worse case would be cutting it out of a parts truck if the dash needs repair.

7. Put in an original or replica wiper switch. Otherwise, repairing defrost conduits will pretty much clean up the interior.

I use the vacuum motor on mine...I like it.

8. Replace the spare tire carriage.

Good luck finding one from 1952.

9. Repair the wing-window seal.

10. I have some replica mirrors arriving this week.

11. Solve for how the bumper conceals the license plate.

For me that's a non issue. States vary but in most the laws are based on original equipment. Vehicles built before the adoption of laws..rules...DOT standards..ect ect ect....Are "grandfathered" as long as it is original equipment or replica replacements of original equipment. For instance in my state the tag location is legal because that's where Ford put it even though the factory/dealer optional bumper blocks most of it from the rear. Just make sure the tag light functions. Here and I think most states as well these trucks are street legal in their 1952 form.....one tail light.....no seat belts....tag/bumper location all legal.
Now whether the local LEO or even judge knows this....that's a different matter.

12. Plug a 1.5" hole in the driver's front ender, and holes from the aftermarket driver's-side mirror.

13. Put a key-lock back in the driver's door; and, get the passenger door to lock. I have some original key-locks arriving next week.

Watch Andy Griffith or "Highway Patrol" most get in and out through the passenger side and slide across the bench seat. So that's the side that has the lock. I believe that was the law in most places back then as folks parallel parked on the curb and they could be ticketed for exiting the drivers side into traffic.

14. I think the '52 should have a wood bed, so I need to figure out what's up with the apparent steel bed that it has.

1948=52 F-1s actually had a steel plate over the wood bed. If it's the factory steel floor you are very lucky as most are long since gone. Replicas for this factory plate cost crazy money. Most of the time it's simply a piece of metal a PO had put in there. Ford used Oak Chevy used pine...you can use what you wish. Most wood beds were painted body color.

That's my work list so far. Here are some pic's.

Chuck Tremblay
Portland Oregon

Old 07-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Keaton_w
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, Chuck! Glad to see the enthusiasm. I am at a similar starting point with '51 in your neck of the woods. Love to hear if you find any particular shops in the area worth referring.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome Chuck!
So far all good advice as usual here.
If you are planning on carrying young ones I'd highly recommend putting in 3 point seat belt/shoulder straps, not just lap belts. It's a very short distance to the very hard and unforgiving dash and windshield. Same for the driver, the steering column does not give any and can do some very serious damage even in a relatively minor collision.
Slight sag to the driver's side is quite common, can be deteriorated rubber pads, bushings in the rear dogbones, sagging spring or spring eye bushings from nearly 70 years of more weight on the driver's side.
I'd suggest calling Classic Haulers Home - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts and requesting one of their free print catalogs. There is a wealth of very useful info in it in addition to just a list of parts, and they are great people to work with.
I posted in this topic my suggested way to develop a build plan rather than using the shotgun approach: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1955-f250.html

AFA speedometer: it is mechanical not electric (except light) it is driven by a cable inside a sheath that is driven off the transmission. Often when the speedometer doesn't work the inner cable is broken. It's an easy fix if it is.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a '52 F1 (imediate rebuild and much more)