Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Leveling my 84' F-250

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:00 PM
QUEBEN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling my 84' F-250

Can anyone help me? My project truck, (84 F-250 2WD w/460 is coming along well. I have replaced my shocks all the way around with HECKTHORNE 8000s, that helped the ride and a lot of the noises I was getting from the suspension, but my front end is still way lower than the rear. My ultimate goal is to get 32X11.50s on the truck, preferably without lifting it. Problem is noone makes a leveling kit for an 84 F-250 2WD, Broncos F-150s, 4WDs, No Problem , but my truck (as luck would have it) just doesn't have one available. Can I use springs off an F350? I was told that a leveling kit for an 86' Bronco would do the trick. The original springs are still on it, and they are about shot so replacing them is pretty much a neccessity, I 'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. Thanks for any help you can give me.............

Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Leveling my 84' F-250

Your Front Coils are Junk! bottom line... I recently replaced the Front Coils in my 1984 Bronco which has a 460. It had the stock 351W springs up there. The 460 weighs about 200 or so pounds more. I have been running 32x11.50 R 15 BFG A/T's for awhile. They won't rub.

Since you have an 2wd F-250 you have the TTB-IFS front end. So you should just be able to get springs that are made with a larger diameter coil and with a heavier spring rate.

I installed front coils that had a rating of 1442 lbs and a spring rate of 337. Your best bet is to call your local spring shop like I did. They will be able to help you out!

If you are in New England - Give Palmer Spring a call, they are in Portland Maine (207) 772-0121, Woburn Ma (781) 376-0130 or Providence RI (401) 351-8300

Let me know how you make out

Old 07-30-2003, 11:22 AM
QUEBEN
Junior User
Leveling my 84' F-250

Thanks for the information! I was hoping this could be a simple fix, I bought this truck for about $1500, and have redone the entire electical system, all the shocks, the fuel system, the interior, and added power windows and a cap for the bed. It needs mostly body work now, (not much) though I have changed out my timing chain and all the engine seals and the ignition system. It ran when I got it but knowing it was 19+years old I have just been replacing everything that looked worn or wasn't working. Now it runs great and it's a daily driver. Even my wife appreciates a good running truck that works hard and is dependable, although she doesn't care too much for the Primer grey color scheme. Hopefully with these new springs I will be able to get the rims and tires I want, and then paint it. Though I won't know what to do with myself once everything is fixed. Thanks again for the information! One more step to having a brand new-Old truck!!