Sponsored by: Moser

2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost hesitation from idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 AM
KentuckyKid
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost hesitation from idle

Hello all, and let me introduce myself. I have recently purchased a 2011 F150 Ext cab with 3.5L ecoboost with 69k miles. I have no experience with these engines prior to now. I've always wanted a full size truck and after driving my 98 S10 for 17 years, I decided it was time for a new truck. I hope I made the right choice in going for the 3.5 instead of 5.0.

On to my question. I've noticed that the truck hesitates from a dead stop or anytime the RPM's are under 1k. It feels like its missing or running lean/rich during the spin up of RPM's. When I drive it hard, it does seem to subside for a little, and I've heard people say that they run better when run hard. I can attest to that, but is this hesitation normal for an almost 70k mile engine? I am getting 15ish MPG on almost all city driving since I have bought it, but I do expect that to change (job hunting and current commute is less than 2 miles each way).

The only time I get to open it up is when I go run errands out of the immediate local area or visiting friends and family. On one of those trips, before I noticed the hesitation, i attempted to accelerate from 60 to pass on the expressway and it bucked and resisted like a horse. It finally took off up to 80 and completed that journey with no issue but the check engine light came on for a bit. The check engine light went off when I shut it down and hasn't come back on since.

Any helpful tips for where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

New ride: 2011 3.5L Ecoboost

Old 06-25-2015, 02:27 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd change the spark plugs. FoMoCo recommends 100k mile plug changes but I know people who have had misfires at 40k. The early ecoboost F150 spark plugs had bigger gaps. Now they tightened the gaps down to .030. It's real easy to change plugs on these trucks. Get some Motorcraft SP534's, they come pre-gapped @ .030, but I'd check the gaps anyway before installing them.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KentuckyKid
...I've noticed that the truck hesitates from a dead stop or anytime the RPM's are under 1k. It feels like its missing or running lean/rich during the spin up of RPM's...
Welcome to the forum, Stephen, and congrats on the truck! It sounds like you're going to try the DIY approach for now, but keep in mind that your local Ford Dealership would be happy to check this out for you. If you decide to get them involved, let me know and I'll do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps it's a bit of turbo lag? It's still a good idea to check those plugs on a truck with that many miles that may have never had them looked at, but if you're not used to driving a turbocharged vehicle, the lag might be more noticeable. The aftermarket larger turbo on my 7.3L was quite laggy, but I was used to it. And once it lit, look out!

BTW, I know these turbos spool fast, but someone not used to it might be more sensitive.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Joe, what do you know about turbos?!!!!! (that was a joke. Joe knows a lot about turbos, especially the 7.3's) You may be on to something though. With a CEL, that code may tell you what the problem is. Unfortunately, you may need to take it to a garage or dealer to get that read. I know the PSD's you have to be picky as to who you let hook your truck up to a computer. Have you run some fuel injector cleaner through it? What about air filter? Does it have one of those filter minders on it? That's a site glass thingy with a gauge on it. (I hope that made sense) Could be plugs as you mentioned. I must admit, the only sparkplugs I've changed in years were on lawnmowers and chainsaws.

Also, welcome to FTE! It's like I've known you all my life!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:50 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I'd change the spark plugs. FoMoCo recommends 100k mile plug changes but I know people who have had misfires at 40k. The early ecoboost F150 spark plugs had bigger gaps. Now they tightened the gaps down to .030. It's real easy to change plugs on these trucks. Get some Motorcraft SP534's, they come pre-gapped @ .030, but I'd check the gaps anyway before installing them.
^^^^ Do what he said

and learn what codes are present.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plugs would be the first place I would start. It sounds like a misfire condition.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
To add to this, I had the bucking condition a couple times (twice I think), and both times it went into limp mode with the wrench icon on the display, but *no* CEL. Turning the truck on & off cleared the conditions both times. When I pulled the codes, there were none, not even when I stopped with it still in limp mode. I haven't pulled the plugs yet, but mine is a '14 and just came from the dealer after the original owner traded it after ~20k miles.

I haven't looked at the plugs yet, but I don't think they're the culprit. I wish I knew what it was though. Frustrating.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:22 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
With a CEL like the original poster has, a code should be present, shouldn't it?

I guess the wrench is different than a CEL.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
...I haven't looked at the plugs yet, but I don't think they're the culprit. I wish I knew what it was though. Frustrating.
Hi Izzy351,

Have you considered swinging by your dealership so they can take a look? If that's something you'd be interested in, I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager. Just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; leave the rest to me.

Crystal

Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 PM
KentuckyKid
New User
Haven't had it looked at yet, but an interesting change of performance.

I filled up with a full tank of Shell 91 octane, and put in a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner with it. Have burned through about half the tank so far. I have also been turning off both trac control and Advanctrac every start up. It still has what I attribute to be turbo lag, but doesn't sound like it's missing any more and I have not been able to duplicate the "spitting, bucking, hiccup missing" followed by a warning light that I have only experienced the 1 time.

It's due to for it's 70k service soon, and will make sure the plugs get looked at/changed, but I believe the issue is not serious and may be resolved with the fuel cleaner and better fuel.

Stephen

Old 07-08-2015, 03:07 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice looking truck. I would be carefull about adding anything to the fuel system. Hopefully I copied this link correctly. It's a good video.

The EB might feel a little slow out of the hole but it is faster than most things on the road.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

Yup! Once she builds a little boost it's game on baby!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Wmilo
New User
I have a 2011 3.5 ecoboost and I experienced this exact same thing yesterday however afterwards my engine light stayed on and has not gon off. It actually felt like my work truck did when it was being derated because of a def issue. The up side is the hesitation from stop is gone now but think this is over my head. Perplexing!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Wmilo
New User
I did take my truck into the dealership being I just bought it Jan 31st and they put it on the computer and it turns out that I had a coil pack go out. They replaced it no charge being I also bought every Warranty that they offered me. So heres the kicker, it runs better than when I drove it away. No hesitation at all off of stop and all kinds of Ford power!

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost hesitation from idle