Sponsored by: Moser

Yellow Jackets like fords too

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Yellow Jackets like fords too

How do you go about removing bees that take up residence in hard to get to spots?
I have a nest in my passenger fender near the firewall/cowl. I think they are up in the U channel of the fender. (bad description?)
I've dumped sven dust all around the gap between the fender/firewall as that was their primary entrance/exit.

I can't see the nest at all, opening the passenger door doesn't get you any better access to this spot.
Can't get to them from below since it's all buttoned up and I forsee angry bees descending on me while I try to crawl off the ground.
The dust seemed to have helped knock them down a little but they adapted.
I assume spraying won't help much since I can't see the nest.
I'm about to give it a try though unless someone here knows a better safer way to deal with this.
I don' think going through a car wash will help this.
I'm kind of afraid the little *******s would come into the cab while I'm sitting there and I'm stuck in the cab while the car wash finishes.
Same goes for a pressure washer since you can't actually see the nest, it probably would just make them mad.
They already tagged me once and that is once too many.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I kept a can of spray in the cab for a while early this year, had a few wasps that found their way inside. Better than trying to hit them with a hat driving down the road.

I don't have any advice regarding your circumstance, although if the spray even gets close to their nest that might be enough to drive them out. I had a lot of nests all over my pickup after I bought it (door jambs, bed post holes, etc). Found most of them I think, don't seem to have them crawling inside anymore or bothering me outside. I also try to keep the wasp nests down on my property. Prevention and all.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:44 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Yea you have to stay on top of the nests. It's a yearly thing here in the country, usually at least one to take out.
Just had to remove one from the eaves on the back of the house.
The truck only sat for a few weeks. They moved in quick.
I thought I had one in there because I went to drive it, checked the fluids and when I shut the hood, I noticed one fly out from the area they are nesting in. I didn't think much of it at the time since it was only one that I saw. Drove the truck for the day, was walking all around it, in/out the passenger door, loading/unloading and no issues.
A week ago; I go to leave again, check the fluids, shut the hood and dam if a small swarm didn't come out and one of them got me.
I have an old camper van so I been keeping an eye on that since it isn't moving. The truck does so I didn't think much of it.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
alone and unafraid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you could run a heat gun on hi and jam it up in there, pointing in their direction? Let it sit for 10-15 minutes?
And have a pressure washer on stand-by in case you see some smoke, haha.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
dank11
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey!
find out where they come out .
Set -up a shop vac with some water and sevin dust .
Suck them up as they come out !
doesn't always work if multiple exits
Sounds crazy but works

Dan k.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
people take these old trucks through automated car washes?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by dank11
Hey!
find out where they come out .
Set -up a shop vac with some water and sevin dust .
Suck them up as they come out !
doesn't always work if multiple exits
Sounds crazy but works

Dan k.
They have lots of exits, from what I can see after dusting them from the top.
I'll watch them for a while and see if I can make it work.

Originally Posted by somethingclever
people take these old trucks through automated car washes?
Sure; I have ran it through the laser wash systems
(brushless if you aren't aware)we have here.
Living in the rust belt, it's nice to get the underside blasted clean and works way better than you could do at the DIY wash.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:40 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
C'mon now.. they're just insects. Show 'em who is boss!!!

They're getting in somehow... observe their points of ingress and egress and blast the hell out of them with water.

Alternative: "Tent off" that part of your truck and release an aerosol "bug bomb" ... also known as a fogger.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
C'mon now.. they're just insects. Show 'em who is boss!!!

They're getting in somehow... observe their points of ingress and egress and blast the hell out of them with water.

Alternative: "Tent off" that part of your truck and release an aerosol "bug bomb" ... also known as a fogger.
Yea I see how they are getting in. Top,bottom sides.
It's getting to them while they are in there at night to eliminate them all.
Don't want to be blasting water inside the engine compartment. Just doesn't really sound like it would be a great idea with my engine compartment.
The "tent" is the last step was hoping for other creative ideas before taking it to that level.
I have a can of bee spray ready to go but I'm thinking maybe try that mint oil spray, since I can't hit the nest maybe the smell will chase them off.
UPdate: just went out and smacked the fender and didn't see one bee flying. Saw my sven dust sprinkle out of the fender to the ground though so maybe I did win.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:10 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Get some cheap thin plastic "drop cloth" sheets to cover it up completely, even with the doors open, (pull the dome light bulb for long term doors open operations) or windows down and bug bomb then to insect heaven. Set the bomb or 2 off under the truck, works great for spiders too.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Soooo much drama!!

Blasting water from a hose is a prime concern??? What am I missing??? Are we working with a show truck or something?

Soak some cotton ***** with insecticide and then tape off all but one exit. Shove the cotton ***** into the nest and then use the last cotton ball to plug the hole.

The fumes will eventually kill them.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had similar experience. They nested behind the tail lamps and inside the front fenders in the door jams on both sides. They came back about 3 times but I think I finally whipped them. I just used liquid spray and when cleared removed their nest. I think once you get their family and offspring wiped out you should be good for a while.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Blasting water from a hose is a prime concern??? What am I missing??? Are we working with a show truck or something?

Soak some cotton ***** with insecticide and then tape off all but one exit. Shove the cotton ***** into the nest and then use the last cotton ball to plug the hole.

The fumes will eventually kill them.
no my excuse is the opposite a show room truck would have a new wiring harness. Mine is original with splices and hacks and wrapped up with electrical tape. It isn't pretty but it works still. Seemed like a good reason to keep the water off it.
Anyway, I guess I just needed more time to let the sven dust do its job.
still haven't seen any yet.. 2 dustings and 3 days later.

Kikkup exactly, they were inside the front fender/inner fender where it meets the cab. Took one entrance out and they started using 3 new ones.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Just shoot and scoot!

I was digging in my 64 yesterday and forgot how damn fast I could run from red wasps! My wife thought i saw a snake lol!

I wish I recorded the extermination of a nest built in the panels of my hood.. I chucked some gasoline into the latch area and I counted at least 65 of those bugs from HELL come out of there!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:00 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Start duct taping the holes up and just leave one. Wasp spray and some old brake line to direct the spray. Sit back and watch the chaos...

Good luck my friend, I hate them little suckers!