6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Oil Analysis / fuel dilution

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 AM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Oil Analysis / fuel dilution

Reviving this thread for additional comments and suggestions. I have a 2012 F350 6.7 Lariat that has had religious dealer oil changes every 5K since purchase and Blackstone oil tests on every change. All tests have shown under 0.3% fuel in the oil until the last one, which suddenly showed 5.5%. It included a longer than usual highway trip but otherwise no unusual loads and no deviations from dealer maintenance. The truck is completely stock and under an ESP. I had an exhaust sensor replaced but otherwise no codes, no problems.

The dealer says the only place oil can get contaminated by fuel is in the high pressure oil pump. They've never seen an oil pump failure, though, and there don't seem to be issues in the Ford service literature. Has anyone else encountered this on a 6.7? I'm concerned that fuel level suddenly spiked -- it indicates some change in the truck at least, and I'm reluctant to wait another 5K to test again to see whether there was some kind of fluke. Ford apparently doesn't have much they can do to test the oil pump, and it's an expensive repair.

Experiences, thoughts, or suggestions?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by lanedecamp
Reviving this thread for additional comments and suggestions. I have a 2012 F350 6.7 Lariat that has had religious dealer oil changes every 5K since purchase and Blackstone oil tests on every change. All tests have shown under 0.3% fuel in the oil until the last one, which suddenly showed 5.5%. It included a longer than usual highway trip but otherwise no unusual loads and no deviations from dealer maintenance. The truck is completely stock and under an ESP. I had an exhaust sensor replaced but otherwise no codes, no problems.

The dealer says the only place oil can get contaminated by fuel is in the high pressure oil pump. They've never seen an oil pump failure, though, and there don't seem to be issues in the Ford service literature. Has anyone else encountered this on a 6.7? I'm concerned that fuel level suddenly spiked -- it indicates some change in the truck at least, and I'm reluctant to wait another 5K to test again to see whether there was some kind of fluke. Ford apparently doesn't have much they can do to test the oil pump, and it's an expensive repair.

Service Advisor is wrong.

Fuel in the oil would be from the cylinders in the form of unburnt fuel or leaking injectors.

I would not be too concerned yet. See what the next sample holds.

Lower your interval between changes.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Try over on the 6.7 page.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:27 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lanedecamp

I've moved your post and those following it out of the old thread in the 6.4L PSD forum and into a new thread in the 6.7L PSD forum.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 AM
dirkdaddy
New User
Maybe on your highway trip you filled up at a place selling a high percentage biodiesel blend? Can't that cause oil dilution?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:45 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I would be more concerned that your dealer is clueless ....

Scott, he is already changing at 5,000 miles. What would you lower it to?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bouncing around the OCI's will give you invalid data. Stick to your present trending and track the results.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Bouncing around the OCI's will give you invalid data. Stick to your present trending and track the results.
This has been my thought all along. I've done Blackstone assays on all my trucks and done consistent intervals just to get consistent data.

And thanks for moving to this forum. I hadn't noticed that I was in 6.4 country.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
perhaps there were a few regens that you stopped before completion?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't know where you live or where your long trip was but the 6.4Ls were prone to fuel in the oil. I found that mine increased considerably when I used biodiesel. There are a number of states mostly in the Midwest where they are required by state law to sell bio and in some states B20. For some interesting reading I would direct you to the EPA report on the impact of biodiesel on DPF equipped engines. If you search my postings back a few years maybe 2010 11 or 12 there is a link to that report. Or you could just try google. It is a legit problem, the 6.7L is better than the 6.4L but I doubt it is immune to the problem. Basic thing is that regular diesel will "boil" out of the oil but bio will not. I finally deleted and tuned the 6.4 and had no further problems with oil dilution or anything else. Well,,,,there was that blown head gasket but that's another story. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Scampbell
New User
Dilution issues

Hello folks. I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have 2015 SD with 30k miles and just pulled my first oil analysis. I am running Amsoil 15w-40 and took the sample at 7k miles. The results came back with 9.5% dilution. I read all the threads and it appears some dilution is normal but I have never seen this amount in my prior diesels. On top of that, I have smoke pouring out my oil fill fill when the cap is removed. The truck seems to be going through regen ever tank of fuel and the mileage continues to decrease. Currently averaging 13.5 with mostly highway driving. i know regen can cause some dilution but do you think the rings aren't seated? Can the dealership tell if there is an issue before I waste my time discussing the oil analysis with the dealer. Any advice is appreciated

Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 PM
lanedecamp
Junior User
Campbell, if you get the same drill I did from Ford, the will say that a 7K oil test may not tell much. Blackstone will say the same, actually, and not without reason. You needed to keep doing 5k oil tests to see how it trends.

Smoke from your oil fill cap? If it's hot, I think that's relatively normal. This engine runs fairly hot and that's part of how it gets its efficiency.

As for regens, the only solid way I know to address it is to get an Edge or similar OBD-II reader and collect your actual regen cycles. If you drive shorter distances and never complete one, the truck will keep trying to repeat it. You can see if you take it for a fast 45 mile drive on the interstate and cut back the regens for a while, and get a new mileage calculation. If you're calculating your mileage based on the dash display on a relatively new truck, it won't be all that accurate yet. You have to divide gallons of diesel purchased into miles actually driven.

Overall it's hard to get them to look at the truck on this subject without more data. You may not even have the high fuel in oil issue any longer. If you can't walk in to a discussion with oil third party analyses in hand that show repeat readings of high fuel, i suspect you won't get much attention.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
go in and get the soot % added to the guage screens. Then you can monitor the soot level and when it gets to 100% you know it will regen and then see it happen and then watch it clean down to zero.

I believe that to be your issue. Also don't idle. If you are driving a lot of stop and go that does not help either.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree on keeping the same oil change intervals and continue testing...

What would stopping a regen have to do with oil dilution?
When the regen is stopped, the additional fuel being injected stops immediately as well. As I understand it, that fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke of the cylinders on the left bank. That fuel goes right out the exhaust ports to the SCR where it ignites and raises the temp to burn off soot in the DPF..

Old 08-06-2016, 05:25 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Agree on keeping the same oil change intervals and continue testing...

What would stopping a regen have to do with oil dilution?
When the regen is stopped, the additional fuel being injected stops immediately as well. As I understand it, that fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke of the cylinders on the left bank. That fuel goes right out the exhaust ports to the SCR where it ignites and raises the temp to burn off soot in the DPF..
The theory is you are washing the cylinders and getting fuel past the rings, and into the oil pan. By not completing regens, the frequency of regens goes up as the filter stays closer to full than if one were completed now and then, so more fuel getting into the oil. Maybe it's true, or maybe not.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Oil Analysis / fuel dilution