6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Pressure Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM
epaul78
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcreek
Looks like they found the problem. They found a cardboard insert from a Ford Cetane additive bottle cap sucked up against the fuel line in the tank. Have it taped to my dash to remember to check bottle is clear before adding Cetane.

Tom
Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy fix. Did they have to drop the fuel tank to figure that out?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Tom,

You are not alone those crappy lids are a pain.

Looks like they found the problem. They found a cardboard insert from a Ford Cetane additive bottle cap sucked up against the fuel line in the tank. Have it taped to my dash to remember to check bottle is clear before adding Cetane.

Tom

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by epaul78
Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy fix. Did they have to drop the fuel tank to figure that out?
Yes, dropped it and pulled the line. Found it stuck to the end of it.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom
Thanks for sharing this with us, Tom. I'm glad the dealer got to the bottom of this for you.

Crystal

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 PM
epaul78
New User
Yes, dropped it and pulled the line. Found it stuck to the end of it.
Did the warranty cover that....or did they make you pay out of pocket? I use the same additive and wondering if the same thing happened to me. I seem to be experiencing the very similar symptoms.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Hey, guys. I'm becoming a regular on here (probably not a good thing).
I just got back from the dealer after a service visit to check on a few issues and have the "Works Service" performed....
One day later, after starting the truck for a short trip I got a strange whining noise. I turned down the radio and listened closely. It only lasted 60 seconds before I got the check engine light and "low engine performance" message. Within another a minute, I lost power, went from 30 mph to 10 mph and got "low fuel pressure" in the message center. Luckily, I was just a mile from the dealer and limped to within 50 yards of the shop before it shut off.
Mine turned out to be the low pressure fuel pump on the fuel rail, according to the service advisor.
BC3Z-9G282-E Pump ASY - F Y.
Replaced under warranty. He said Ford wants the fuel filters changed when the pump is changed but wouldn't cover the cost. Since I was going to need them on the next service visit, I went ahead and let him do them at my cost.
BC3Z-9N184-B $101 for the filters plus $78 for labor.

I would like to think that Ford should have covered the cost of the filters but I didn't want to risk any damage to the engine. What have others done?

Edit: After reading a bunch of other fuel pump issue threads, I see this is a common failure.
BTW: I have 17,000 miles on it now. Fuel filters were changed by dealer at 10K. Temp was above freezing that day.

Last edited by Mystic_Cobra; 03-09-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more stuff to say
Old 03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my pump go out too but Ford couldn't fix it for 2 weeks, they didn't really want to look at it. So I just did it myself. The pump was $258 on Amazon and took an hour to do. This is something you could easily do on the side of the road if necessary. I bought a spare pump and I always have spare fuel filters anyway. The pump comes with the filter for itself you would just need the under the hood filters. I am going to invest in the dieselsite filter system. It gives better filtration and peace of mind.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I had my pump go out too but Ford couldn't fix it for 2 weeks, they didn't really want to look at it. So I just did it myself. The pump was $258 on Amazon and took an hour to do. This is something you could easily do on the side of the road if necessary. I bought a spare pump and I always have spare fuel filters anyway. The pump comes with the filter for itself you would just need the under the hood filters. I am going to invest in the dieselsite filter system. It gives better filtration and peace of mind.
Good to know you can get it on Amazon. You happen to have a link handy?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure how to do that on this tablet I am using. I am not computer savvy. But I do remember the dealer price was $318 and that was with the family discount.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Ol' GP
New User
Fuel Filter change with Whining noise

Ive read some of the posts here with interest. I was having some of the same issues and wanted to post what I have learned.
I changed my fuel filter according to what several you tube videos showed. 1. Dis-connect electric wire from fuel filter housing 2. Open yellow fuel/water drain valve until empty. 3. Use 32 mm socket to loosen housing and remove. 4. Take off large old green o-ring 5. Clean housing. Put on New o-ring and filter and re-assemble. 6. When screwing housing back on, make sure to re-align hash marks that are on the housing and housing frame. This was all Great information. After following these steps I had the low fuel pressure indicator as well as a loud whining coming from the fuel filter housing.
What I learned: 1. When draining the yellow fuel/water separator valve don't wait for it to stop draining, I got 3 gallons and mine still didn't stop. Instead, start taking housing off immediately with your 32 mm socket and the fuel will stop after the housing is completely off. 2. When re-assembling housing i screwed my housing until it lined up with the hash mark indicated and it felt very tight, however, the whining occurred because i didn't get the housing screwed completely tight, on my second try i lubed the green o-ring with 90 weight oil and screwed my housing on until I got to a dead stop. So there is a tab on mine that would not allow me to screw it passed a certain point.
I hope this helps, Ol' GP