6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Power Fold mirror dead (on 2 year old truck)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:21 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I folded mine in alot over the years and no issues. But one won't expand now unless I pull it out an inch. If I retract it all the way it won't go out again. I have to make sure I don't retract it 100%...

Old 06-16-2015, 10:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
I folded mine in alot over the years and no issues. But one won't expand now unless I pull it out an inch. If I retract it all the way it won't go out again. I have to make sure I don't retract it 100%...
It might be time to have your dealer check out that misbehaving mirror, capt caper. Let us know if you decide to get this into their hands. How many miles are on your rig these days?

Crystal

Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
It might be time to have your dealer check out that misbehaving mirror, capt caper. Let us know if you decide to get this into their hands. How many miles are on your rig these days?

Crystal
I also have a driver side mirror that is slower than the passanger side and creaking. I must fold mine every time I pull into my single car garage door, so I guess it's just a matter of time. Very sad these fail that easy and so expensive to replace.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by frt2599
I also have a driver side mirror that is slower than the passanger side and creaking. I must fold mine every time I pull into my single car garage door, so I guess it's just a matter of time. Very sad these fail that easy and so expensive to replace.
Hi Bob,

I know it's frustrating to have to visit the dealerships for repair, but I know they'd want to make sure your mirrors are up to snuff. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Hi Bob,

I know it's frustrating to have to visit the dealerships for repair, but I know they'd want to make sure your mirrors are up to snuff. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal
Hi Crystal

It's a 2011 with 29,000 miles.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by frt2599
Hi Crystal

It's a 2011 with 29,000 miles.
Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. Let me know when you get your dealership involved. I'll be able to research ways to help once they've performed a diagnosis.

Crystal

Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Desert_Diesel
New User
These mirrors are a joke. Unfortunately a very expensive joke. My 2011 f250 driver side died at 20,000 miles- covered by basic b2b warranty. Passenger side died last week at 30,000 miles. Ford would not cover it because the thirty six month limit passed. Geico mbi insurance covered it no questions asked. 250 deductible.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
My passenger side mirror has not ben extending for about 3 months now. But, only sometimes. Whenever I try and document it, it works

Old 07-04-2015, 01:47 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
You guys must be folding those mirrors a lot I guess.
Mine get folded every day I drive my truck. I have too as my garage doors are just a bit narrow.

The only issue I've ever had was when I backed into my passenger side mirror when it was -10 F out side. The plastic housing exploded. Replaced it under insurance.

I kept the original in the event I need parts from it.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, after having my passenger mirror fail and be replaced under warranty about 2 years ago, my driver site mirror just failed. Keep in mind, I only fold them in while in busy parking lots. The truck only has 25k miles on it. Depressing considering the dealership scheduled me out a week before they can even look at it. Fortunately I do have an extended warranty that should cover it.

It sad because I should be getting my new RV this weekend and now I have the stress of a broken mirror motor (or gear or whatever it is) to get fixed.....again.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:01 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Well, after having my passenger mirror fail and be replaced under warranty about 2 years ago, my driver site mirror just failed. Keep in mind, I only fold them in while in busy parking lots. The truck only has 25k miles on it. Depressing considering the dealership scheduled me out a week before they can even look at it. Fortunately I do have an extended warranty that should cover it...
I'm sure you'll be in great hands at your dealership, IronCobra. If you need my help after getting your mirror diagnosed, just say the word.

Crystal

Old 07-09-2015, 03:44 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure you'll be in great hands at your dealership, IronCobra. If you need my help after getting your mirror diagnosed, just say the word.

Crystal
Thanks! I drove by the dealership (Sames Ford, in Corpus Christi) about an hour ago to have them take a look at it (hoping they would). The technician was very friendly and checked it for physical damage. He said that it did appear to be an internal mechanical failure and showed no signs of being impacted. I told him that I have an extended warranty (IWS) that was purchased through the dealer I bought the truck from (Eddie Yaklin Ford in Kingsville Tx). I called IWS and they confirmed that they would cover the repair or replacement so long as the dealership call them after a diagnostic check to ensure it was a mechanical failure.

I told this to the Ford service manager, and he said that they stopped doing warranty work for IWS a week ago (yes, literally 1 week ago). I called IWS and they stated that they would have no problem covering the work so long as the dealership called for preApproval prior to doing the work.

The service tech doesn't think his manager will do the work, so I'm waiting on a call back from the service manager.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
might have to submit the paperwork yourself and get re-imbursed.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Originally Posted by senix
might have to submit the paperwork yourself and get re-imbursed.
And that really sux from a customer's point of view.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by IronCobra
...The service tech doesn't think his manager will do the work, so I'm waiting on a call back from the service manager.
Thanks for the update, IronCobra! Let us know when you hear any news from the dealer. If you'd like, I can push this up the chain to your regional customer service manager. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll take it from there.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Power Fold mirror dead (on 2 year old truck)