Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Look what I just bought.... van guys, have a diaper ready.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Look what I just bought.... van guys, have a diaper ready.

I found this bad boy for sale on Facebook. 1984 E350 6.9 IDI. $450.

With a VAN Banks Turbo kit!

Very clean. No rust except a little in the passenger side gutter. Runs ok, but has some real air intrusion problems. The PO tried to fix things but he didn't know diesels, so I'll probably have to just replace all his repairs.

It'll be a shame to part this van out. Anyone wanna convince me to keep it whole?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not a van guy, but do I need a diaper? Depends....

That is one awesome time capsule; shoot even the grille badge looks better than anything you'd find here. Would be a shame to part it out.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang. That gave me a semi.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. I'd drive it

Good thing I'm not a van guy, cuz I'm fresh out of diapers! If I ever found a rig like that for that price I would likely become a van guy tho

Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
I kind of don't want to part it out. The body and frame is very clean. A 100% california van.

My original plan was to pull the motor and turbo and rebuild it. Keep the fenders and doors and dash and radiator. If the axle was 3.55, then put that on my E250. Then scrap the rest. But aside from the gutters, it's too clean to warrant scrapping.

Anyone have an easy way to determine if the axle is a 3.55 or 4.10?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Wow, if that was close to here I'd buy it! Do I need[/I] a van? Hell no. But all that needs is an OD unit and some ****, man! Awesome score.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
I kind of don't want to part it out. The body and frame is very clean. A 100% california van.

My original plan was to pull the motor and turbo and rebuild it. Keep the fenders and doors and dash and radiator. If the axle was 3.55, then put that on my E250. Then scrap the rest. But aside from the gutters, it's too clean to warrant scrapping.

Anyone have an easy way to determine if the axle is a 3.55 or 4.10?
There should be an axle code on the sticker located in the drivers side door jam. The one that has all the weight ratings and tire pressures. Then you can search for the axle code.....or it might give the codes in the owners manual.

If you do part it out, let me know. There is a certain group of parts that I would be interested in.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jayro88
If you do part it out, let me know. There is a certain group of parts that I would be interested in.

I can feel you salivating over that van turbo kit....

I still haven't decided if I'm going to remove my hypermax turbo kit and install this banks kit on my 1988 E250. I'd like to hear from some of the turbo experts on whether it would be better to have a new hypermax system versus a tired (but rebuilt) banks system....

Whatever happens, i'll probably have at least one of the van turbo kits for sale later this year.

I'm definitely pulling the 6.9 in the new van and going to rebuild it in my garage. Also, I'm pulling the tranny, cuz then I'll have a spare IDI and C6 in the garage if I ever need it.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
I can feel you salivating over that van turbo kit....

I still haven't decided if I'm going to remove my hypermax turbo kit and install this banks kit on my 1988 E250. I'd like to hear from some of the turbo experts on whether it would be better to have a new hypermax system versus a tired (but rebuilt) banks system....

Whatever happens, i'll probably have at least one of the van turbo kits for sale later this year.

I'm definitely pulling the 6.9 in the new van and going to rebuild it in my garage. Also, I'm pulling the tranny, cuz then I'll have a spare IDI and C6 in the garage if I ever need it.
Just let me know when you decide what your doing with it. Yes I am salivating along with being mad/jealous.....but in a good way.

I am also in to Taurus SHO's....reminds me of the time a guy bought a "modified Taurus" from a used car lot for $500. The guy just wanted it gone. Ended up being a highly modified (brakes, suspension, etc etc) with an aftermarket supercharger kit on it. The kit alone was about $3500 new. Tuned the car up and it ran perfect....along with over 350hp at the wheels.

I was mad at him for a while too........

Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jayro88
Just let me know when you decide what your doing with it. Yes I am salivating along with being mad/jealous.....but in a good way.

I am also in to Taurus SHO's....reminds me of the time a guy bought a "modified Taurus" from a used car lot for $500. The guy just wanted it gone. Ended up being a highly modified (brakes, suspension, etc etc) with an aftermarket supercharger kit on it. The kit alone was about $3500 new. Tuned the car up and it ran perfect....along with over 350hp at the wheels.

I was mad at him for a while too........

I had searched for a used van turbo kit for an IDI for years. Never found one. The fact that this one appeared in my Facebook feed was surprising, but even more surprising was the price of it. After reading more about the kit, I'm tempted to pull my hypermax system and install this banks system. Seems like a better system all the way around. But it needs some work. Definitely needs to be rebuilt first, and the appurtenances need some TLC. The EGT gauge appears to work, but the boost gauge doesn't move. The aftermarket engine temp gauge has soemthing wrong with it.

Also, the PO says the injectors are bad. He replaced the lift pump and some of the injectors. He pulled the front tank and had it cleaned (it still is not hooked up). There are some cobbed up diesel filters (one underneath and one on the engine). My suspicion is air intrusion actually, instead of bad injectors. Seems like a lot of opportunities for something to fail in the fuel system.

Regardless, my goal wasn't to get the van running perfectly. I just wanted the parts. It kills me to tear it apart, but I don't see a way to keep it whole. I'll try to sell off the body and frame once I picked the parts I need. Aside from the gutter, the body is impeccable. Part of me wants to put my E250 body on the E350 frame to get the benefit of the 1-ton frame. Meh. Too much work for too little gain.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I'm a touch jealous. If someone had that van here, I would say if you made it not running, and added lots of rust, THEN someone MIGHT sell it for $450.

I've honestly seen precious few vehicles that weren't Neons or Cavaliers sell for less than $1000 anymore.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:46 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dont scrap that thing!!!
if anything fix the little problems it has and sell it!
you can easily get 3x the amount you paid for it.
if not more.
you can damn near clean it up a bit more, and sell it for the price of a remaned long block!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Regardless, my goal wasn't to get the van running perfectly. I just wanted the parts. It kills me to tear it apart, but I don't see a way to keep it whole. I'll try to sell off the body and frame once I picked the parts I need. Aside from the gutter, the body is impeccable. Part of me wants to put my E250 body on the E350 frame to get the benefit of the 1-ton frame. Meh. Too much work for too little gain.
Is there any real frame differences that stand out in the e350 frame vs the e250? I have always wondered if the differences were anything structural or just suspension components......springs etc.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by IDIoit
dont scrap that thing!!!
if anything fix the little problems it has and sell it!
you can easily get 3x the amount you paid for it.
if not more.
you can damn near clean it up a bit more, and sell it for the price of a remaned long block!

I contemplated pulling the turbo, put on all my N/A air intake stuff from my 7.3 (prior to the Hypermax install), then put in a basic WVO system. Then sell it whole. In LA, where biofuel is a big thing almost to a fault, I could add another few thousand to the price.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:25 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
i will give you $500 as it sits, and have a truck there to pick it up tomorrow!!

Quick Reply: Look what I just bought.... van guys, have a diaper ready.