1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the F250 6.2? Help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the F250 6.2? Help me decide.

Currently have a 2010 crew cab f150. Paid off, under 50k on it, overall like the truck. It is leveled, have the wheels blacked out, sharp looking ride.

However, I am itching to get something new. Always wanted a Supeduty although I don't tow much at all, and if I do, my F150 handles it no problem. Mainly, I like the looks of HD trucks much more. Always have. I will likely drive less than 8-10k a year. It will cost more to own an HD truck and I understand that.

Been looking at the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and they are a nice truck. Mainly looking at the Tradesman line, which is about the same as an XLT. Big, tall sitting truck with a nice interior. Can get one with nice options in the mid to high 30's.

Superduty with same or fewer options cost a bit more, maybe 2k or so. Checking KBB on prices of 2014 models, the Superduty appears to have a higher trade in value.

So what reasons should I pick the F250 over the Ram? Why did you make that decision? Pro's and con's? Guys say the Ram's ride much nicer, but I haven't drove either yet and expect both to ride like trucks.

I have had trouble with my current truck, most of which were made worse by terrible dealer service. I will purchase at a different Ford dealer this time. I have rocker panel rust already and it is aggravating based on how well I care for our vehicles. So that's why I'm looking at the Ram also. And I had two Ram 1500's in the past with few problems. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I've looked at Dodges(Ram) before and like the looks but I think they just have a cheap feel to them. I was in the same position as you with always having F150s and decided to get a SD because I've always wanted one.

All brands have rust issues and the SD isn't immune to them either. Just keep the underside, inside of the rockers/doors, and above the rear wheel wells coated with fluid film or some other type of rust preventer and you'll be ok.

The 6.2 is a great motor. My only complaint is that it's a little noisy when it get really cold out, but that seems to be the norm with Fords modular motors these days.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
How do you like the ride compared to your f150's? I have e rated BFG's on mine and I don't mind the ride. Curious how the SD will drive/ride.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Back to back the Ram does ride a little nicer, but the current SD is much improved ride to older models, and frankly it gets lots of compliments on test drives, including people who are cross shopping, leading me to believe it's not a deciding factor for most.

Tradesman is more in line with Fords XL as it's their basic optioning. Now, for many folks who start clicking several basic options and XLT does indeed make more sense. It's all in how you want it built.

Historically I'm a Rambler and Mopar fan, but I sell Fords because I think they have the best domestic product hands down, and I have a much higher respect for the company and how they handled themselves starting with Bill Ford stepping down and letting Alan take them though the tough times and now passing the ball on to Mark Fields.

When it comes to old cars I love being the odd man out.... but there has almost always been a reason for leading sales. We can hate that some foreign cars were of superior quality through the 80s, 90s, and into the 00s. We can put personal feeling and beliefs behind our own convictions if we want and vote with our own dollars. But, when it comes to trucks, no one is outselling Ford, nor have they for nearly four decades. This isn't because they are the cheapest, it's because more people have found value in them than the competition.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Another thing to consider. Ford is the sales leader and thus a higher resale value. As stated before the wheel wells is where our 11year old red truck is rusting but it does have 200K on the clock and here in Michigan we do love our salt. You'll have to make the final decision but be informed.
I researched our new blue truck to death but we are very happy with our decision. It does have a few things we didn't need but it is extremely nice to have.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
i would go with the f250, do not get me wrong i like dodge and the hemi engines, i have a 14 charger rt with hemi and love it, i also one time owned a 2500 dodge with hemi and drove truck 128k but let me tell you a few things, the hemi engine to get full torque especially when pulling you have to make her scream and they do not get best milage at all in those type of trucks, it got worse than my v10 250 i have. it is a good truck and the hemi engines are great but you have to wind them hard pulling and they will use the fuel, but on other hand that truck was fast for a large truck!
i have a fleet of ford trucks and they all work good, from what i was told the 6.2 gas is based off 385 block like old 460

Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Back to back the Ram does ride a little nicer, but the current SD is much improved ride to older models, and frankly it gets lots of compliments on test drives, including people who are cross shopping, leading me to believe it's not a deciding factor for most.

Tradesman is more in line with Fords XL as it's their basic optioning. Now, for many folks who start clicking several basic options and XLT does indeed make more sense. It's all in how you want it built.

Historically I'm a Rambler and Mopar fan, but I sell Fords because I think they have the best domestic product hands down, and I have a much higher respect for the company and how they handled themselves starting with Bill Ford stepping down and letting Alan take them though the tough times and now passing the ball on to Mark Fields.

When it comes to old cars I love being the odd man out.... but there has almost always been a reason for leading sales. We can hate that some foreign cars were of superior quality through the 80s, 90s, and into the 00s. We can put personal feeling and beliefs behind our own convictions if we want and vote with our own dollars. But, when it comes to trucks, no one is outselling Ford, nor have they for nearly four decades. This isn't because they are the cheapest, it's because more people have found value in them than the competition.
Tradesman offers more than the XLT IMO. But most of the Tradesman have add on's that I like and some of the SD's don't. Maybe that is what I'm seeing on lots. This is a dealer decision however and not a package deal obviously.

I am not loyal to any brand and would buy whatever has what I want if priced right and I liked the looks. Ford hasn't made the best impression with me, but like I said, it is the horrible dealer service I'm most bothered with. There are a couple XLT's, black, with most options I want around 38k locally, Rams equally equipped around 36k. I hate the radio in these things, so 90's.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:51 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
I've looked at Dodges(Ram) before and like the looks but I think they just have a cheap feel to them. I was in the same position as you with always having F150s and decided to get a SD because I've always wanted one.

All brands have rust issues and the SD isn't immune to them either. Just keep the underside, inside of the rockers/doors, and above the rear wheel wells coated with fluid film or some other type of rust preventer and you'll be ok.

The 6.2 is a great motor. My only complaint is that it's a little noisy when it get really cold out, but that seems to be the norm with Fords modular motors these days.
Noise? How so? My 5.4 ticks and knocks like crazy, but not a big deal.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Originally Posted by ironman1977
i would go with the f250, do not get me wrong i like dodge and the hemi engines, i have a 14 charger rt with hemi and love it, i also one time owned a 2500 dodge with hemi and drove truck 128k but let me tell you a few things, the hemi engine to get full torque especially when pulling you have to make her scream and they do not get best milage at all in those type of trucks, it got worse than my v10 250 i have. it is a good truck and the hemi engines are great but you have to wind them hard pulling and they will use the fuel, but on other hand that truck was fast for a large truck!
i have a fleet of ford trucks and they all work good, from what i was told the 6.2 gas is based off 385 block like old 460

Was it a 6.4 Hemi? Alot of power on paper.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi. Kept it 1 year/20Kmiles and had enough. Paint issues (Had to change a fender because paint bubbled up on it), Very soft/thin paint that seemed to scratch from looking at it, Steering shaft failed and was replaced, strange electrical problems (dash would black out randomly), leaks into cab from third brake light and weather stripping. I didn't dare keep that truck until it got old. That said, the hemi was a monster and it was fun to drive.

My advice is not to get a super duty, however, if you don't need it. The ride from a 150 to a 250 is dramatically different. You may not be happy living in a 250 everyday if you don't need to. Try and drive one for a day or so before you decide.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
If indecisive. Drive bothe the 150 then 250. The 250 will be a lot different.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
ironman1977
Senior User
i would also look at f150 with 3.5 ecoboost, when me and my wife go camping i see alot more 150s with 3.5 ecoboost pulling large campers and i have talked with these fellow campers and they love the f150, as far as pulling the 3.5 may be a lil better than 6.2 and get better miles but the 250 has more springs,larger brakes and frame.To be honest i doubt you could go wrong a 150 or 250,

Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Originally Posted by ironman1977
i would also look at f150 with 3.5 ecoboost, when me and my wife go camping i see alot more 150s with 3.5 ecoboost pulling large campers and i have talked with these fellow campers and they love the f150, as far as pulling the 3.5 may be a lil better than 6.2 and get better miles but the 250 has more springs,larger brakes and frame.To be honest i doubt you could go wrong a 150 or 250,
I have no interest in the Ecoboost. A few buddies have them and I'm not impressed. Would rather have the 5.0. I also dont have much interest in a new F150, too early after change to aluminum. I already have an F150. Next truck will not be an F150, unless I found a new 2014 with the 5.0 and 15k off the sticker price.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Originally Posted by NYCruiser
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi. Kept it 1 year/20Kmiles and had enough. Paint issues (Had to change a fender because paint bubbled up on it), Very soft/thin paint that seemed to scratch from looking at it, Steering shaft failed and was replaced, strange electrical problems (dash would black out randomly), leaks into cab from third brake light and weather stripping. I didn't dare keep that truck until it got old. That said, the hemi was a monster and it was fun to drive.

My advice is not to get a super duty, however, if you don't need it. The ride from a 150 to a 250 is dramatically different. You may not be happy living in a 250 everyday if you don't need to. Try and drive one for a day or so before you decide.
Seems paint is an issue for all brands. As stated in my OP, my truck has rust and is maintained very well. Also has a orange peel look to it.

I was looking at some Rams the other day and saw one with missing paint on the tip of the fender by the hood. Was already rusting. Where is the QC on that.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:37 PM
NYCruiser
Senior User
Originally Posted by jtruck618
Seems paint is an issue for all brands. As stated in my OP, my truck has rust and is maintained very well. Also has a orange peel look to it.

I was looking at some Rams the other day and saw one with missing paint on the tip of the fender by the hood. Was already rusting. Where is the QC on that.
I never owned a vehicle with as poor fit and finish as my Ram had. Maybe the new water based paints have something to do with it. If the paint was the only problem and I liked the truck I would have had my body guy wet sand the whole truck and spray a quality clear coat on it. Unfortunately, there were a lot of other problems and a complete lack of truck capability with the coil springs. On the plus side, it rode like a limo and had a lot of ***** with the hemi. Like driving a hot rod. Great for a grocery getter or soccer mom vehicle. Maybe the 2500's would be better, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Quick Reply: Why the F250 6.2? Help me decide.