6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 6.0 Fan Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Utah Jake
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 6.0 Fan Clutch???

Here's my question. My Edge is reading "PO528: Fan Speed Sensor Circ No Signal". When I'm pulling a large 5th wheel up a 4% hill by the time I hit the top (if I don't slow down)warning beeps are gong off and my ECT is at 240. I can hear the fan come in at 215 and it stays in all the way up in temperature.
All the posts say c/o the fan clutch. While that may fix the fault signal, would it do anything for the temp situation. If the fan is locked in it seems like a lot of money just to clear the fault.
Or......is the fan still slipping but sounding like it's working?
This my be not related but I did notice that as the temp rises the AC starts not working. By the time I reach the top of the hill it is blowing hot. As we go down the other side and ECT comes down, it starts cooling.
Thanks for your help. 35 years fixing diesel locomotives didn't prepare me for this truck!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Utah Jake
Here's my question. My Edge is reading "PO528: Fan Speed Sensor Circ No Signal". When I'm pulling a large 5th wheel up a 4% hill by the time I hit the top (if I don't slow down)warning beeps are gong off and my ECT is at 240. I can hear the fan come in at 215 and it stays in all the way up in temperature.
All the posts say c/o the fan clutch. While that may fix the fault signal, would it do anything for the temp situation. If the fan is locked in it seems like a lot of money just to clear the fault.
Or......is the fan still slipping but sounding like it's working?
This my be not related but I did notice that as the temp rises the AC starts not working. By the time I reach the top of the hill it is blowing hot. As we go down the other side and ECT comes down, it starts cooling.
Thanks for your help. 35 years fixing diesel locomotives didn't prepare me for this truck!
I don't think your fan clutch is working properly (not locking-in 100%). I am quite happy with the OEM snow plow fan clutch with the manual fan switch mod. Others seem to be pleased with the 7.3L manual fan clutch offered by BPD.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you monitor fan speed with that? That will tell you if it's locking up properly.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Utah Jake
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
Can you monitor fan speed with that? That will tell you if it's locking up properly.
I don't know but with the speed signal missing it would show anything. Good idea though.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:32 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Without a fan speed reference your not really going to know anything.
You just can't judge fan speed by eye or ear, to deceptive and inacurate.
Find and fix your FSS problem before trying to do anything else.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
Without a fan speed reference your not really going to know anything.
You just can't judge fan speed by eye or ear, to deceptive and inacurate.
Find and fix your FSS problem before trying to do anything else.
This is true. I just went through something similar with my '05 that ended up being the fan clutch, but the tell tale sign was the FSS indicating less than 600 rpm at all speeds and temps. My new one keeps the temps under 200 no matter what condition. We have a 10k travel trailer that I am staying in right now. I went up several 4%+ grades to get here and each time I hit the top of the hill, the temp was under 200. I also have a new fan belt, oil cooler, thermostat and elc coolant, but I had all of those with the failed fan clutch two weeks ago. While towing on level ground with no fan operation, temps easily went into the 235 range and would continue if I hadn't stopped.

EDIT: Since my truck now never hits 215, I never hear the fan run. I do see the rpms change via scanguage II though. Under 200 I see 600-670 rpm. At 200 I see it climb to over 1000. All at the same engine rpm.

Also, I had a brand new ford fan clutch on it when it failed. It had less than 200 miles on it when I noticed it wasn't working. It blew the seal that is in the case, between the cap that has the part numbers on it and the outer housing. Silicone viscous fluid was everywhere. This was a result of improper storage at the dealer. They must be stored upright or the fluid can get passed the outer seal. My new clutch I purchased from Autozone with a lifetime warranty for the same price as the ford unit. To my amazement, the Autozone unit is the exact same unit ford is selling in, but relabeled in a ford box. The stock for unit has mechanically etched "visctronic" and part number printing. My first replacement from ford had ink printed numbers as did my Autozone unit. Upon further inspection, all of the ink markings, part numbers, wiring codes and plug numbers all matched. The result, Ford is selling aftermarket fan clutches as OEM parts.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Or, there's really only one manufacturer. I learned a while back my local O'Rileys will (in certain cases) order your parts and pick them up from a dealership without mentioning where they came from. I suspect they get a better price from the dealer than "Joe Citizen" would get and they just mark them up a bit.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hayden is the clutch manufacturer.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Thor'sHammer
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
Hayden is the clutch manufacturer.
The one I just bought was a remanufactured unit from "Torqflo".

Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor'sHammer
........The result, Ford is selling aftermarket fan clutches as OEM parts.
It more true that aftermarket sources are selling private labeled or reboxed parts direct from Ford or Fords suppliers. When it comes to aftermarket companies they don't have the technical resources or manufacturing capability to provide many of the complex parts. In some cases there are "remaned" parts that are salvage sourced, cleaned up and resold. Although China companies have done a good job of reverse engineering parts, some well made, others not so.

The other situation is the supplier part is made under a contract to Ford, there is only one supplier and that design is patented and contract licensed through Ford. Both Ford and the supplier will support aftermarket, but Ford will allow the supplier to direct sell with a royalty for a few years until the part is out of Ford's warranty period. Then it's the suppliers ownership.