6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 AM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy or not?

I currently drive a 05 v10 ccsb 4x4. Tow a 314bhds Jayco eagle camper 6-8 times a year with usually one long camp trip of around 5-6 hours one way. Camper weighs in around 9k. The v10 does good but needs about 5k worth of rust repair done to it. So been looking at trucks heavily. I am trying to decide gas or diesel but that is not what my question is. I put about 5k miles a year on my trucks. I have a company vehicle. So do these new diesels play nice with not a lot of long drives. I also have a 77 f150 4x4 that I could use for other short trips. So would my driving style hurt the new diesel more than anything? I am between the psd or cummins..if not that then a 6.2 4.30 gears I think. I just don't want to stick 5k into a 12-15k truck. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Nathan

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
I'd go gas if I were you. Avoid the extra cost of the diesel.

You are not using the truck that much and the 6.2 will pull that load better than the v10.

Get the 4.30 gears.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Gas is best for your situation. Diesel fuel doesn't like to be stored for too long either.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the input guys. I know I don't need the diesel but they are so fun. Never owned one but my dads 6.0l is a riot to drive. He really doesn't need one either but he's been a diesel mechanic for 40 years so he's hell bent on keeping it. He's addicted to the power which is like a drug! So I have a lot to decide. My wife says you only live once! Get what you want. We will see if logic prevails or I say screw it and go diesel. Either way ill have BSEG when I get a new ride!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Hey if the wife gives the green light. You haven't signed the papers yet.

Mine did a few weeks ago for our blue one. I didn't give her a chance to change her mind.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
We will see. We drove a Psd and cummins on Saturday. We both really like the Ram. The Ford just seemed too familiar. I also like what looks to be ease of service the cummins has or would have down the road for major repairs. No doubt the psd has more get up and go! What are your guys thoughts on this. I like Fords but Ram sure does play a good hand.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
I hate the moose ears on the ram.

I don't like the coils on the rear either.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
I think I would shoot for a one ton in either brand just for the payload rating. So the coils would not be a factor. Even at that the leafs in the fords always seem light to me. Always see a lot of sagging rears on the Fords out on the highway in my travels across the state. It's going to be a tough decision that's for sure. I have been a Ford guy a long time. Still am, I love my 77. I just don't care for the complexity or what looks to be anyways under the hood on the psd. I know most good techs can have a cab off in a little over an hour but geesh there is a lot crammed in there.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally if you got the 6.2 I think you would be disappointed especially having had a V10. I have owned both, towed with both and would recommend a V10 hands down over the 6.2 and yes both the v10 and 6.2 had 4:30's. Now to your question I too would go with gas maybe a newer V10, the '08-'10 interiors are much better than your previous truck. But since your dad is a diesel tech then maybe you could find a good deal on a 6.0. from '06 or '07.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
I think I am leaning towards diesel at this point. I have thought of trying to find a clean 6.0 but that is a big gamble. I could end up with more of a headache than anything. My father is only the 2nd owner of his 6.0 and he bought his in 05 with 30k on it. It's an 03 with about 120k on clock now. I would say he has been fairly trouble free with his. It's never had the cab off. He's put injectors in it and a ficm. He only replaced injectors cause he had one go out so he just replaced all of them or at least all on one side can't remember. Maybe an hpop too. But I would say not too shabby. I am looking for something more turn key and hopefully not wrenching on it much. So that's why I'm looking new. But that could change if I find a diamond in the rough. There is actually an 03 ccsb f250 4x4 with 34k miles 5 minutes from me at a used dealer. Haven't went to look at it yet but it peaks my interest.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:24 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Wow, you are all over the place with this decision.... lol....
Good questions and points to consider. You will naturally get more Ford reps here than Ram because we are Ford folks. Both are nice trucks, only you can decide what will work the best for you. I put 187,000 miles on a 7.3, loved it, but never looked back after I purchased my 6.7 PSD.
Best of luck in your decision.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I of course will always recommend the Ford. If you plan to at least drive the truck monthly then I'd have no concerns at all about the fuel sitting too long. The 6.7 is an amazing engine and what might seem "new or different" on the Cummins won't last long as you'll miss the familiarity of the Ford within a couple months. If you can justify the diesel in your pocket book then pull the trigger for sure. You'll never beat it for towing or for the raw feeling of power you get when you mash the skinny pedal. Just promise me if you do get the Cummins that you don't add a 4" lift and a 6" tail pipe like all the Dodge douche bags do around here. They are easily the loudest and most annoying engine on the road today!!!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 AM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Def. no straight pipe on either. I want it quiet! So I guess I'm down to psd or cummins! Decisions...decisions...

Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When you open the hood on these 6.7's they are scary. But, inside of 20 minutes you can have all that cowling, plumbing, manifold stuff gone and be staring at a turbo sitting between two monster heads. The whole front clip takes another 20 mins. And you're looking straight at the coolers.

I have nothing against the ram trucks though, except the mirrors. You do need to search "oil change 2014 ram" on google though. I've read that changing out the oil filter is no walk in the park. Might be other things too, search here for a guy in Nevada I think, dim sum? He got a new ram last year and wrote up some nice things about it. My curiosity is aimed right at the air suspension ram has. I'd like to know what it's all about.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
The RAM is a newer design, the new Ford starts in 2017. If you like the RAM, and there is a lot to like, why not buy one. RAM does seem to be leading Ford in a few areas these days. Might consider a 6.4l gas RAM too.

Quick Reply: Buy or not?