2.7 Turbo chatter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

2.7 Turbo chatter

Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 PM
New User

Lottje is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.7 Turbo chatter

Just seeing if any else has been having the same issue I have been hearing.
Seems when I start up the truck I hear what sounds like something in the turbo and chatters like a playing card in a bicycle tire. It goes away after about 30-45 sec of heating up. I can hear this also time to time when I give it gas and the full boast kicks in. I asked my service guy about it he said Im not the 1st to complain about it but they also said they are not doing anything with it right now. No lights on dash and no smoke or anything so probably just some noise that I gotta get used to. But being v8 guy in the past don't know much about turbos other than also long as they don't shake or smoke they should be good. I have about 5k on truck so far about to take it in for the 1st oil change not sure If I should have them chase something or not.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 AM
Posting Legend

Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I have the 3.5L EB and no turbo noises. But I wouldn't like it if I did have noises and would want them to fix it. However, it doesn't sound like they will from what you were told. Still, I'd want to register an official complaint so if they do start chasing the problem, or find a solution, they'll know to contact you.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 AM
Posting Guru

heymrdj has a good reputation on FTE.heymrdj has a good reputation on FTE.heymrdj has a good reputation on FTE.
I can't imagine at the speeds those things turn that any noise in the slightest would be ok. Then again, they won't fix my Fiesta either, even though someone that pulls up beside me on the street with our windows down asks me what the hell is wrong with my car that it sounds like that. To Ford, destructive noises are just the sound of operation it seems.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
injectors....as it warms up they reduce the number of injections. Our 2.3 does it too. take the cover off the motor, start it and listen.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Junior User

Fasttimez is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2.7, I stopped by the dealership after a few days with a noise also at startup. It seems the 2.7 has a lot of noise dampening built into it. I listened to another one on the lot & it seems it's a normal noise. Service manager said they attended a class in Detroit & listened to one without the noise dampening in it & said its loud as hell without it. Seems like Ford has done a lot to reduce the noise of these engines with all the direct injection & turbos. So the initial noise your hearing is the turbos spooling up & getting up to speed.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I know my 2.3 is all aluminum and has a bunch of plastic to it. I don't think there is much more than can do.

On the road it is very quiet till you put your foot in it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM
New User

Finally figured out you tube. Here is the noise I was talking about.

I would be as concerned if I didn't also hear it when boast is applied. Just makes me think something is not tuned right or something is in the turbo. Don't know see if ford will do anything with it taking it in today will ask the service manager.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:55 PM
New User

Well just got the oil changed and showed one of the service guys the video. He's pretty sure it's a exhaust leak. Got an appointment for next Tuesday. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:47 PM
New User

Well got the run around, service guy didn't do **** but look up tsb's and check another truck in the lot and it did the same thing. They claim it's normal operation for it to sound like its going to blow up. I would suggest anyone looking into buying one of these to go with the 3.5 or the 5.0 for now. Needless to say I wont be keeping this one for 20 years. I should had known better than to buy the 1st generation of a engine. Lets just hope it she don't blow up on me in the next 2 years.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Posting Legend

Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Actually, wouldn't you want it to blow up in the next two years instead of 5 or 7? It would be under warranty.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I can hear the engine and the injectors and a faint separate noise but I wasn't alarmed at all by the noise. It seems more like a light tapping noise to me rather than a bearing noise.

It seems by this thread that there are others complaining about the noise as well. I'd love to know if it's an inherent 2.7L noise or a batch of engines or a random issue.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Freshman User

2.7Eco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
I can hear the engine and the injectors and a faint separate noise but I wasn't alarmed at all by the noise. It seems more like a light tapping noise to me rather than a bearing noise.

It seems by this thread that there are others complaining about the noise as well. I'd love to know if it's an inherent 2.7L noise or a batch of engines or a random issue.
I can hear my injectors for about 10 seconds or so, then it's quiet. Really quiet. At least for now.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottje View Post
I would be as concerned if I didn't also hear it when boast is applied. Just makes me think something is not tuned right or something is in the turbo. Don't know see if ford will do anything with it taking it in today will ask the service manager.
That sound is really subtle to me. Tried to listen for it on our 3.5EB, but it doesn't seem to be there. However, the turbos are down quite a ways on this engine, and it's not clear to me if I could even hear it even if it was there.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:42 PM
New User

I hear going it going down the road also, the only time I don't hear it is when it actually makes the sucking "turbo" noise. It only goes away at start becuase the turbo spins down. If I give it gas after it stops it just come right back until it i hammer on it. I am thinkin its a blow off valve sticking or not opening when it should or some kind of detonation near the turbo. Either way in 30k I am dumpin it for a v8 I am not goin to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of winter when its -25 outside because ford wont admit something is wrong. My brothers 3.5 never made noises like that, all 4 of my dad's 7.3L turbos never made noises like that, my friends evo never made a noise like that. No way is this one normal..
Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottje View Post
I am not goin to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of winter when its -25 outside because ford wont admit something is wrong.
I don't think a non-functional turbo is going to strand you; you just won't be getting boost.

Sorry for your troubles. We are very happy with our 3.5L EB; it's very quiet.