Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 starters in 6 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Here's another favorite, shamelessly stolen. The windup on this one, some girl asked her friend to keep an eye on her dog while she was out of the country a few weeks. So, being a normal guy, decided to have some fun and sent her this pic. "Guess what we're having".

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spade vs Ring

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
There is a known issue with the spade terminal. It is recommended that it be replaced with a ring terminal to avoid bad connections.

Ford Starter Solenoid Spade Terminal
Thanks, TexasGuy001. This is a lot of extremely good information I can use to solve my problem. Didn't know any of this.

Even have a link where to get this stuff. Fantastic !!

Thanks again,

Larry

Old 06-05-2015, 05:26 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Great Pictures

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Here's another favorite, shamelessly stolen. The windup on this one, some girl asked her friend to keep an eye on her dog while she was out of the country a few weeks. So, being a normal guy, decided to have some fun and sent her this pic. "Guess what we're having".
Haha. Man's best friend. Dogs are good people.

"He possessed beauty without vanity, strength without insolence; courage without ferocity; and all the virtues of man without his vices."
Lord Byron
His epitaph for his dog

Regards,
Larry

Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Starter Problems

^^^ This. As the voltage goes down, a device will draw more current. 20 years is a long time for copper cables, switches and grounds. I think maybe too there is some work hardening going on, and manufacturers seem to be using dissimilar metals that corrode all by themselves, too. Usually the cable size manufacturers use is just adequate for the purpose when new, but over time the corrosion through the system becomes significant as it is cumulative. It adds up!

It's a bitch to get at them, but it absolutely pays to clean ground points on newer vehicles, to include alternator brackets and hardware, ECU ground, weather-paks, SAE connectors etc. We already know basic stuff like this is required to keep the older stuff on the road. Stay out in front of the newer rigs before somethings expensives get roasted.
E

Having the same problem continuing. Where are the SAE connections, the ECU ground, weather paks location. I going over this stuff again.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Starter Problems

^^^ This. As the voltage goes down, a device will draw more current. 20 years is a long time for copper cables, switches and grounds. I think maybe too there is some work hardening going on, and manufacturers seem to be using dissimilar metals that corrode all by themselves, too. Usually the cable size manufacturers use is just adequate for the purpose when new, but over time the corrosion through the system becomes significant as it is cumulative. It adds up!

It's a bitch to get at them, but it absolutely pays to clean ground points on newer vehicles, to include alternator brackets and hardware, ECU ground, weather-paks, SAE connectors etc. We already know basic stuff like this is required to keep the older stuff on the road. Stay out in front of the newer rigs before somethings expensives get roasted.
u

I found some grounds not connected on the firewall and some grounds not connect under truck to the frame. I would think that would not help. What other grounds should I check?

Larry

Old 11-22-2018, 11:12 AM
luv2fly
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had similar problems with my '88 5.0 5 speed. PO had gone through starters, replaced the ignition switch, cap, rotor, solenoid, and just throwing NUMEROUS parts at it chasing the issue. I thought they had just replaced some components over the years as maintenance. Nope, they were chasing a starter that was constantly failing when I found the receipts.

The problem was in the starter cable, which was a cheapo Chinese Auto Zone unit. Fabbed one up with top shelf cable and connectors and soldered it all together. Haven't had a problem since, 100% solved.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Starter Cable

Originally Posted by luv2fly
Had similar problems with my '88 5.0 5 speed. PO had gone through starters, replaced the ignition switch, cap, rotor, solenoid, and just throwing NUMEROUS parts at it chasing the issue. I thought they had just replaced some components over the years as maintenance. Nope, they were chasing a starter that was constantly failing when I found the receipts.

The problem was in the starter cable, which was a cheapo Chinese Auto Zone unit. Fabbed one up with top shelf cable and connectors and soldered it all together. Haven't had a problem since, 100% solved.
I replace the cable too with Auto Zone part, Will check into it now. All the crap is Chinese parts

Thanks,

Larry

Old 11-23-2018, 12:28 PM
luv2fly
Junior User
Originally Posted by fightlivefree
I replace the cable too with Auto Zone part, Will check into it now. All the crap is Chinese parts

Thanks,

Larry
I went an auto electric specialty shop where they rebuild starters/alternators/industrial applications, etc. Told them what I was wanted and they actually built the cable for me while I watched. Took the old cable it as a pattern and after I bought the components they offered to put it together. There was an obvious difference between the auto zone chinese crap and the unit they built. Plus, it wasn't much more than the chinese crap either. $15 maybe?

Old 11-23-2018, 05:33 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Good Idea!

Originally Posted by luv2fly
I went an auto electric specialty shop where they rebuild starters/alternators/industrial applications, etc. Told them what I was wanted and they actually built the cable for me while I watched. Took the old cable it as a pattern and after I bought the components they offered to put it together. There was an obvious difference between the auto zone chinese crap and the unit they built. Plus, it wasn't much more than the chinese crap either. $15 maybe?

I think I will fab one up at an electrical supply place too!

Larry

Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 PM
luv2fly
Junior User
Good luck Larry. Hope your issue is as easily fixed (though elusive) as mine was. Keep us updated!

Todd