6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

JDM Tuning and my trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Badass69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM Tuning and my trucks

I don't post a lot but thought I would bring up something in a 6.2 forum about what I am doing.

Me. I have two F150's with 6.2's in them. One is a FX4:

And the other is a lowly XLT:

The FX4 is a toy and sits with stainless works long tubes with no cats, an AFE intake, and MBRP catback. I run the XLT for work and it's just an MBRP catback exhaust as I can't stand the stock necking to 2.5" peashooter these trucks have OEM.

I approached JDM on the sole premise of their Burnout Tune they advertise. It's not so much the sit and fry off your tires part that intrigued me as much as the potential to override features I am not all that interested in. It's fun I suppose to be able to do a brakestand, which in these trucks even with normal tuning is pretty well impossible with the locker engaged. You might get a one tire fire going but that's about it.

Now the flipside is I am not all that happy with the traction control features that kill the truck with any side to side motion. Even with the button pushed and held the Advancetrack still cuts in the second the wheelspin crests about 30 mph and shuts it down. Why do I care?

Muddy lease roads and snowy lease roads in the winter are a lot easier to navigate when the truck isn't dying constantly on you the second it slips a bit or slides a little. I came from a stock height, stock tire 2005 1500HD GMC I have a Detroit locker in as my daily and moved to this..... I want my GMC back a lot of times lol.

Anyhow, my start with JDM was a little rocky as there were some assumptions that weren't necessarily unwarranted floating around about tuning. I do own HP tuners and it makes things more difficult as I use my same username on almost any board thus not hiding who I am. We have overcome it though and I am having Jim tune both of my trucks.

So far I only have the test tune loaded in the XLT. Yep... it can do a burnout with the locker locked up to the 30 mph limit of the locker anyway. But that's not the goal... we want a couple gears of rubber here so the work continues.

Otherwise even with Jim's test tune the truck drives nicer than any tune I butchered myself, or the SCT handheld offered.... or other custom tuners gave me. The tranny is firm and positive and doesn't hunt or do weird downshifts. Power feels good but right at this moment we are still short shifting the truck at only 5200 rpm in the first two gears and 5600 thereafter. That rpm on the shift is going to go up quite a bit, matching these trucks powerbands.

Hopefully we can open some doors others can't with these trucks. The brakestand thing alone pretty well is that, but I would like more electric locker control and we shall see. If we can achieve that I will never bother installing the Detroit locker I have for my FX4.

Have to admit though..... for a truck with only 3.55 gears and roughly 1500 lbs of weight always in the bed........ doing this:

Is satisfying in a way lol.

I will update this as we move forward and see what Jim can unlock in these trucks