Who Knows Of A Good Abrasive Blaster? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

Who Knows Of A Good Abrasive Blaster?

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 03:45 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
AKHunter93 has a good reputation on FTE.AKHunter93 has a good reputation on FTE.

I'm in the market for a good abrasive blaster. Not a cabinet, because I like having the ability to go to my workpiece, and work on things that don't fit in a cabinet.

I need a good siphon fed setup, and preferably something American made. Does such a thing exist?

Also, I imagine I'll need a bigger compressor. Is there a generally accepted baseline CFM/PSI rating for abrasive blasting?

You'd think a welder would know more about this, but better late than never

Old 05-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Ford_Six
Super Moderator
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Most of my blasting experience is with Harbor Freight stuff, and it generally works well. I have a smaller setup that I used to blast my old LGT120 body, my Curtis engine driven compressor keeps up just fine. The only issue is moisture, you need a good cooler and drier setup. Any moisture and the blasting medium will clog the nozzle.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:30 AM
AKHunter93
Elder User
AKHunter93 has a good reputation on FTE.AKHunter93 has a good reputation on FTE.
So it's not as simple as hooking up a canister and compressor to your gun and spraying away? How does a drier work?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Circa 78'
Freshman User
Circa 78' is starting off with a positive reputation.
You buy it at HF the el chepo kind and just put it inline and go more than 1 if your doing alot of blasting or buy a 60-70 $ type and just follow instructions on using.... simple. I use the el chepos myself and have been satisfyed for spraying. If you blast in cool weather and leave hose on a cool surface will help or take breaks and let compressor cool some.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
My personality is pretty abrasive.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Purchased both the HF abrasive blaster and cabinet and found they are made of fairly heavy gauge material. Purchased the cabinet with the 2 side doors for large stock material. I found connecting the abrasive blaster to the cabinet works best for me, high pressure abrasive in a confined area. In addition, with the abrasive blaster, regardless how much protective gear I wear; i.e., hood, respirator, gloves, and clothing the abrasive material gets into every orifice known to the human body. Also, With the abrasive blaster the sand can travel for hundreds of yard and may present issues with neighboring vehicles and homes. May want to consider instead of the blasting cabinet, purchasing a growing tent, they come in varying sizes, not sure how well they will hold up to the abrasive material, I purchased a 4'x6' tent for the abrasive blaster, I have not used it yet..Finally, suggest check for local industrial abrasive sand blasting suppliers there's Kleen Blast that's relatively close, also located in a few state, and they carry just about every type of abrasive material at a very reasonable price.