Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Timing advance solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 AM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing advance solenoid question

How many degrees of timing does this add? And is it across the entire RPM curve? I know i need a light/meter to time correctly, but i was bored and started messing around with it, did a few base runs as is, truck feels solid in the midrange but falls flat up high in the rpm range. So i made a jumper to temporarily keep the advance locked in, didn't loose much in the midrange but the top end is much better. Turbo still lights off fine and doesn't seem too clattery. Is there a way to adjust the timing curve to get the best of both worlds? I want to know more about the pump and people's experience but solid information other than turn it up x-amount of flats is hard to find. Thanks for any information you can find or know

Old 05-29-2015, 05:41 PM
ddeflyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by dropitlow88
How many degrees of timing does this add? And is it across the entire RPM curve? I know i need a light/meter to time correctly, but i was bored and started messing around with it, did a few base runs as is, truck feels solid in the midrange but falls flat up high in the rpm range. So i made a jumper to temporarily keep the advance locked in, didn't loose much in the midrange but the top end is much better. Turbo still lights off fine and doesn't seem too clattery. Is there a way to adjust the timing curve to get the best of both worlds? I want to know more about the pump and people's experience but solid information other than turn it up x-amount of flats is hard to find. Thanks for any information you can find or know
I've been told (and my timing light agrees) that the solenoid advances timing by 5 to 6 degrees. I've also heard that it is only having an impact in the lower rev range, but I haven't tested to confirm that yet.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 PM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Originally Posted by ddeflyer
I've been told (and my timing light agrees) that the solenoid advances timing by 5 to 6 degrees. I've also heard that it is only having an impact in the lower rev range, but I haven't tested to confirm that yet.
5-6 is quite a bit more than i expected. It does seem to make the truck FEEL quicker but i have a hard time believing that my timing is off that far. When i first got the truck it was a dog and would smoke blue upon startup until warm, along with a misfire. The pump was lined up with the stock scribings on the house/block so I advanced a dimes width. I am assuming the pump and injectors were replaced, don't know when or by who but they are not factory painted gray. I do want to put a timing meter on it and compare the curves, with ignition advance energized and without. It does seem like a different truck when compared to without it on. Doesn't seem to add much noise to it either when i plug it in. I guess what i need to do is get myself a timing light.