Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
hillcountryflt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Pan fill C-4s are GENERALLY installed in Ford cars and pan filled C-4s are GENERALLY installed in the trucks."
This is the c4 I am using.
sorry for the size of the picture.

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt View Post
"Pan fill C-4s are GENERALLY installed in Ford cars and pan filled C-4s are GENERALLY installed in the trucks."
This is the c4 I am using.
sorry for the size of the picture.
....correction to my quote/statement: pan fill (flare case) C-4s are generally installed in trucks. Case fill (step case) C-4s are generally installed in cars.

Pan fill, flare case C-4 you have pictured is the same as the C-4 in my '69 F100.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:32 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
I need to replace the dipstick tube on this unit - that should be messy.
I wish I could have found the shift levers that would have converted this transmission to a column shift style instead of using a converter.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 AM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
bajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to behold
Hillbuddy, lifter swaps are not a big deal. Easy to do, especially on the 240/300.. just a couple of new gaskets, when you have them swapped out. A magnet on stick helps to pull out the old ones. Any autozone has one. One trick is to 'pump' up the new ones before putting them in. Soak them in a small pan of oil, and 'pump' them up, with a push rod, while they are submerged in oil... not a big deal at all... good luck amigo

Baja

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bajafishnut View Post
Hillbuddy, lifter swaps are not a big deal. Easy to do, especially on the 240/300.. just a couple of new gaskets, when you have them swapped out. A magnet on stick helps to pull out the old ones. Any autozone has one. One trick is to 'pump' up the new ones before putting them in. Soak them in a small pan of oil, and 'pump' them up, with a push rod, while they are submerged in oil... not a big deal at all... good luck amigo

Baja
That's what some have told me. But I ran across references to needing to have each piston at top dead center for each swap out. Which in itself is probably no big deal, but definitely adds to the process. You make no mention of the adjustment process (:

Old 02-12-2016, 09:49 AM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
bajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, start the adjustment with #1 piston at TDC, and work through the timing order, adjusting each rocker in order. Both the intake and exhaust rockers should have a little play, when the piston is at the top. ie, valves are closed completely. After initial adjustment on all rockers, start the engine, with the valve cover off, watch for good oil flow, and while idling, adjust the rocker so it quits clattering, then 1/2 turn more. The idle should smooth out significantly when all are adjusted. This 'half turn' should place the pushrod travel in the middle of the lifter's hydraulic 'range' of useful travel. New lifters should be similar in their hydraulic 'lift' and the rocker clatter, or lifter clatter should be negligible. Now, I am assuming that your head is the original, and has each rocker independent, mounted on a Stud, fixed into the head. Newer year heads have a bolt, not a stud, holding the rocker.. Hope this helped...

Baja

Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
Yeah, start the adjustment with #1 piston at TDC, and work through the timing order, adjusting each rocker in order. Both the intake and exhaust rockers should have a little play, when the piston is at the top. ie, valves are closed completely. After initial adjustment on all rockers, start the engine, with the valve cover off, watch for good oil flow, and while idling, adjust the rocker so it quits clattering, then 1/2 turn more. The idle should smooth out significantly when all are adjusted. This 'half turn' should place the pushrod travel in the middle of the lifter's hydraulic 'range' of useful travel. New lifters should be similar in their hydraulic 'lift' and the rocker clatter, or lifter clatter should be negligible. Now, I am assuming that your head is the original, and has each rocker independent, mounted on a Stud, fixed into the head. Newer year heads have a bolt, not a stud, holding the rocker.. Hope this helped...

Baja
Yep. Does help. So much of what I have had to do has been more or less plug and play. So actually will have to start working at this some (:

Old 02-12-2016, 10:32 AM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
You can be sure that members on this site, are all, without exception, very helpful. Most are way more knowledgeable than I am, and have experience with a huge variety of issues. I have learned more about my truck since joining this forum, than I did on my own, in the first 35 years of owning my truck. Granted, I started with almost no knowledge of what I was doing, but have had tons of help over the years. Since 2005 I cannot tell you all the times that members here, have come to my aid, and they are way too many to list. I do know this, 'Texas Connects Us', and in the same way, this forum connects us from East to West, and North to South, as well as to other countries. Jeffafa's Kingdom Rules... Long live the King..

Baja

Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
You can be sure that members on this site, are all, without exception, very helpful. Most are way more knowledgeable than I am, and have experience with a huge variety of issues. I have learned more about my truck since joining this forum, than I did on my own, in the first 35 years of owning my truck. Granted, I started with almost no knowledge of what I was doing, but have had tons of help over the years. Since 2005 I cannot tell you all the times that members here, have come to my aid, and they are way too many to list. I do know this, 'Texas Connects Us', and in the same way, this forum connects us from East to West, and North to South, as well as to other countries. Jeffafa's Kingdom Rules... Long live the King..

Baja
At 1st I started to do a proud laugh. Then it hit me what a compliment that was Baja. Thanks Amigo.

And Hill, I looked up a 66-69 F100/250 240/300 with a C4 tube. Part number was C8TZ7A228B. Nobody shows it. I figure you're going to need a matching dipstick anyways so I went 70/72. Tube part number D0TZ7A228A. The dipstick 68/72 from ser number D54,001 for 240/300/302 is part number C8AZ7A020B.

C8AZ7A020B dipstick:

GREEN SALES

Recently Updated<table class="static info_table"><tbody><tr><td class="label">Part Number:</td><td>C8AZ7A020B</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Seller:</td><td>Green Sales Company - View Profile</td></tr><tr class="even"><td class="label">Description:</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Phone:</td><td id="phone_primary344921">(513) 294-8385
Tell them you found it on RearCounter.com</td></tr><tr><td class="label">Price:</td><td>Request Pricing</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Email:</td><td>Send Seller Email Inquiry</td></tr><tr class="even"><td class="label">Quantity:</td><td>1</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Location:</td><td>Cincinnati, Ohio Map & Directions</td></tr><tr><td colspan="5" style="text-align:right; padding-top:5px; padding-bottom:5px">

NOS PARTS LTD.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Recently Updated<table class="static info_table"><tbody><tr class="even"><td class="label">Part Number:</td><td>C8AZ7A020B</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Seller:</td><td>NOS Parts Ltd. - View Profile</td></tr><tr><td class="label">Description:</td><td>INDICATOR-TRANSMISSION OIL LEVEL</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Phone:</td><td id="phone_primary666801">(972) 937-2201
Tell them you found it on RearCounter.com</td></tr><tr class="even"><td class="label">Price:</td><td>Request Pricing</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Email:</td><td>Send Seller Email Inquiry</td></tr><tr><td class="label">Quantity:</td><td>1</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Location:</td><td>Waxahachie, Texas Map & Directions

</td></tr><tr class="even"></tr></tbody></table>

Old 02-12-2016, 03:16 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
D0TZ7A228A.

OBSOLETE RELIABLE PARTS

<table class="static info_table"><tbody><tr><td class="label">Part Number:</td><td>D0TZ-7A228-A</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Seller:</td><td>Obsolete Reliable Parts - View Profile</td></tr><tr class="even"><td class="label">Description:</td><td>TRANS OIL FILL TUBE</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Phone:</td><td id="phone_primary844225">(229) 686-5101</td></tr><tr><td class="label">Price:</td><td>Request Pricing</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Email:</td><td>Send Seller Email Inquiry</td></tr><tr class="even"><td class="label">Quantity:</td><td>1</td><td>
</td><td class="label">Location:</td><td>Nashville, Georgia Map & Directions</td></tr><tr><td class="label">Part Type:</td><td>NOS</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt View Post
I need to replace the dipstick tube on this unit - that should be messy.
While it won't help you on this go 'round, you can pick up one of these from the parts store.

Dorman Products - 65128

....and install it while you have the pan off.

But, the next time after this that you have to service the transmission, replace filter/fluid, all you'll have to do is pull the plug and let the transmission fluid drain straight into a catch pan. THEN, you can remove the transmission pan without all the spilled fluid mess.

I recently put one in the transmission pan on my son's 2009 Chevy Silverado, when I changed the fluid/filter on it. --next time, there won't be a big mess with it.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:02 PM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
See, what did I tell you about the members of this Kingdom... ?? If you can find an issue, they can find a solution.

Keep us on the same page amigo...

Baja

Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
See, what did I tell you about the members of this Kingdom... ?? If you can find an issue, they can find a solution.

Keep us on the same page amigo...

Baja
Back in the early '80s, I went to change the fluid and filter in the transmission in my '68 Mustang for the first time (it had a 2V 289, C-4 and an 8-inch w/2.79 gears). It made a mess taking the pan off. While I had the pan off, I installed one of these drain plugs in the transmission pan. The next time the fluid and filter were changed, it wasn't bad at all. It was just like draining the oil out of the engine oil pan.

The drain plugs are inexpensive and easy to install.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 PM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
I have never doubted the help this place provides. Not in the three years I have had my 71. They help you fix, they can help you spend your money and credit and they help come up with better ways of doing things. Admittedly, I have not always followed the advice and sometimes when two or three different options are provided I will try the easy path.
The fill tube could probably be "fixed" with some sort of cold solder or something. As to the drain plug, it was one of those things I kept putting off. I wanted to do it, but never followed through. Probably will this time.
But tomorrow the project truck is pushed aside (well backed out) and blue takes its place. First will simply try to adjust the lifters. I won't say it can hurt anything, because I know better. Sort of like the time I thought I would "rebuild" the manual steering gear in the 71. $250 later bought another gear. Then stuck that on the shelf when I installed the power steering.
I do appreciate the parts numbers. Will stick them in my ever-growing spreadsheet and begin the quest.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
I bought my '68 Mustang on Tuesday, September 14th, 1982. I didn't get my first home computer and access to the internet until June, 2001 so, for the first 19 years of ownership of the Mustang, I didn't have the advantage of access to untold information or to forums to help with doing something on the car. I just had to figure it all out on my own.

Since the advent of this 'tool' (the internet), I research diligently before I do something with my old Mustang or my old truck, if I'm wanting to add or modify something on them. Knowing what you're after and listening to others that have done it can save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

....you also get an opportunity to talk with a lot of good people, with shared interest, that you probably would have never met otherwise, if not for the internet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.