Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Old 05-30-2015, 12:56 PM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
bajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to behold
2x on the plan Steve. If you get 'Too many irons in the fire", its hard to keep them all hot. One thing at a time, seems to be the best plan for me. I try to decide on which project to tackle next, after the current one is complete. Sometimes, it helps to classify my projects, under headings, like "Need to do, Nice to do, or Want to do, and Comfort items, vs Profile items. Helps me prioritize my next project. Not having to drive my truck every day, helps a bit too. Like Hillbuddy, I do not have a huge space to store a donor truck, so have to rely on JY's for my storage facility. My shop is organized, but space is limited. 'Next house I build', I keep telling myself.. but that's a dream, not a reality.
Hey Hillbuddy, Seems that the drought is 'bout over for this part of Texas.

Baja

Old 05-30-2015, 08:51 PM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
hillcountryflt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We are right on the edge of all the really bad rains - actually 60 miles away to Wimberly and San Antonio. Not that bad for us. A few low-water crossings covered. Our last big flood was around 2001 - watched an explorer float down the creek that is about a half a block away from our house.
I have been wanting to get the engine worked on for some time. It runs like doodoo and the clutch was a royal pain. When I was laying under the truck pulling the trans and clutch, I realized there was not much to keep me from pulling the engine. Well, while the engine was out, might as well try to install the power steering gearbox and steering column (for an automatic) I pulled from another 71. I am borrowing from UltraRanger's research to install it and found a power steering pump and mount from a 1985 F150.
By the way Ultra, you would not happen to know the fitting sizes for the power steering gearbox inlet/outlet. I want to build a temporary hose to flow the fluid while I am working on it.
As to this project. I only went into it with a vision of what I would like. No road map. And as my wife is clear to point out, even if I had a map, I probably would get lost or go find a longer way to get where I am going.
One of my biggest issues I have, as I have pointed out a few times, is the lack of any junk yards/pick-and-pulls nearby. San Antonio has one and it is 65 miles away. Austin has a couple of more but they are about 110 miles away. So I rely on parts searches, ebay, NPD, Dennis-Carpenter, NOS, etc.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:16 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt View Post
....Well, while the engine was out, might as well try to install the power steering gearbox and steering column (for an automatic) I pulled from another 71. I am borrowing from UltraRanger's research to install it and found a power steering pump and mount from a 1985 F150.
By the way Ultra, you would not happen to know the fitting sizes for the power steering gearbox inlet/outlet. I want to build a temporary hose to flow the fluid while I am working on it.
The hard line section of the pressure hose, were it connects to the Saginaw gear box, is 5/16" diameter. The inverted flare nut fitting size is 1/2"-20 and will require a 1/2" flare nut line wrench.

The hard line section of the return hose is 3/8" diameter. The fitting size is 17/32"-24. It will require a 5/8" flare nut wrench.

The actual pressure hose assembly I have on my truck (Saginaw PS gear box, Ford C-2 PS pump) is NAPA p/n 7-1490. The return line hose part number is NAPA 7-1559.

As to this project. I only went into it with a vision of what I would like. No road map. And as my wife is clear to point out, even if I had a map, I probably would get lost or go find a longer way to get where I am going.
Like a typical man, Moses wandered the wilderness in search of the Promised Land for 40 years --simply because he wouldn't stop and ask for directions.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:40 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
Wandering and wondering might be a good motto for this project
Ultra thanks for the specs on the hoses.
Since rain has completely fallen off the forecast today and the week ahead, might spend some time on the Harley. But have some engine mounts I need to cleanup and get started cleaning up the power steering pump and bracket and cooling line.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Cracker289
Posting Guru
Cracker289 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As I was laying on my back removing the $350 exhaust that I had installed on my truck a little over a year ago, I started wondering how much money have I "wasted" from poor planning.
Then as I was removing the less than year old manual steering gear (about $239) in preparation of replacing it with a power steering box, that thought hit me again.
Of course, I was thinking that starter laying by the front right tire was less than year old in this truck and it will not work with the C4 I am planning to install.
Then I thought of the 1969 steering column I paid about $100 for the auto trans/power steering upgrade project and ended up going back to get the proper length one for my year. Inside the old column I pulled out of the truck is a nearly new wiring harness that was not cheap.
And then I realized I had a couple of extra headlight doors for the 68 grille I am planning to install in the 71 that were about $70 each.
At this point, I realized poor planning is expensive. I guess this is normal on the first project truck.
I feel for you man after doing several projects myself I can say I've found myself in the same situation. Some of that stuff is hard to find in the first place, and then hard to find someone else who needs it later! I'm a little better at planning ahead now that I was years ago though so maybe I am starting to learn

Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
About as close to my project thread as I have

Along with my other failure to plan approaches, I realized I did not have a project thread for the 71 flareside.
So I dub this my build thread.
Finally, forced myself to start taking a stab at working on the 71. With our family of two down to only one vehicle with auto trans, power steering, etc., I need another vehicle my wife can drive. We traded our 2011 Mustang and our 2015 Explorer and leased a 2016 Explorer. So I have the 69 F100 and the 2010 Harley Ultra Limited as my vehicles. Wife can't drive either of those.
Installed the steering column wiring plug end yesterday (it was provided by a forum member Jefffafa - thank you very much). Got the bent up chrome front bumper back on (I want a painted front bumper) and started troubleshooting my passenger side headlight. It is very dim compared to my left side.
I was planning to start, with the help of a friend and his welder, on replacing the floor boards this weekend. However, I am probably going to try to replace the lifters in my 69 240-six. The amount of time it takes for the tapping to go away has increased some since an ill-advised (my own advice) oil change with syn blend.
On the horizon: cab corner repairs, redo wood bed, lots of interior sheetmetal work, transmission kickdown, adjusting transmission shift lever to line up with indicators, secure c4 fill tube (pan mounted).

Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 AM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
bajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to beholdbajafishnut is a splendid one to behold
Glad to see you are making some progress again, amigo. I see that 'Cracker' copied one of your previous posts, in post #20 and you had stated that you had a couple of extra '68 headlight doors, for your '71 grill... Are they aluminum? In good shape? and would you part with them? Like you, I have some 'extra' parts, but mine are all South of the border. BTW, by far, my favorite improvement to my truck is the power steering. I found the used/rebuilt box on Evilpay, and think I was lucky to find a 4 bolt HD box, that fit on the outside of the frame, requiring less frame/cross support mods. In my zeal, I bid on another, bigger, and heavier duty box, that now sits in my garage gathering dust. If I ever decide to make the drive, all the way to Texas, I will drag all my extra parts with me, and make them available to members here. I reviewed all the P/S swap threads before doing mine, and gathered lots of useful advice. Hope you find some of them helpful. Good luck with your project amigo.

Baja

Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
My 68 grille is painted metal. I am thinking of selling it and the spare door or two I have for it.
Baja, you are right about power steering. If I could do it without changing out the steering column in my 69 with 3 on-the-tree, I would upgrade it to power steering as well.
Found out the other engine I am thinking of getting for it is a 302/5L from a 1986 T-bird. Owner claims the engine is in excellent shape - has not been run in years. Sitting in a "box" of sorts. It's EFI (first year EFI, I think) which would go away for my purpose. Seems it would use the same perches of the 289 and would bolt straight up to my C4.
The newly rebuilt engine in it now would go to Blue 69 F100.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:55 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
The pivot stud hole on the side of the block, for a 302 with a mechanical clutch, went away in 1974.

You can get a bolt-on pivot bracket but, I thought you should know this ahead of time.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM
bajafishnut
Posting Guru
Yep, my grill is aluminum, and the headlight doors are too. One of mine 'kissed' a frisky cow, so it has some amateur metalsmith repair, so it could be prettier . Good luck with your builds, and I will be signed on... Oh, my p/s swap just included adding a piece to the original column.. but mine is a 4 on the floor... and 4x4.. a different cat to skin.

Baja

Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Posting Guru
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
qman, I thought you did your transmission RIGHT before I **** transmission. I think you wore white cloths too.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
I However, I am probably going to try to replace the lifters in my 69 240-six. The amount of time it takes for the tapping to go away has increased some since an ill-advised (my own advice) oil change with syn blend.
You're welcome. On the dipstick tube are you sure it's the factory pan and tube? Looking up the dipstick, pan, and tube nowhere does Ford mention pan fill. Earliest I personally remember was 70's Mavericks. If you can get me the engineering number off the dipstick, Ford's color code paint tab off the original tube, or a tranny tag number I will look up the tube for you.
And on the partial synthetic oil causing lifter problems? It would lubricate better than straight petroleum oil. Maybe on a FE but I can't imagine on a 240/300. Unless maybe if the inside of the engine was all gunked up. And the new oil picked it up and sent it through the engine. Including the lifters. But a good quality oil filter should catch it. Until it's full of crap that is. Then it would bypass, not filtering anymore. I wouldn't spend any money on the lifters since you are thinking of changing engines. If it were me I would put a fresh Ford Motorcraft part number FL-1-A on it and fill the crankcase with either tranny fluid or engine oil with Seafoam. If the tranny fluid way fire it up and run it for about 15 minutes. Fluctuating the RPMs. Then changing the oil to a straight weight (30W) with another new FL-1-A. If the oil and Seafoam way drive it for 3-4 days and change it. Popping off the valve cover and looking under it may tell you which way to go.
If going with the later balanced 302 don't forget to get it's A/T flex plate (flywheel). And buy a torque converter for the same year F150 with a 302. Note, I have the factory 2V intake off my cousins 1977 F100 with a 302. Unsure if the cooling passages at the back of it will work with the 1986 heads. I also have the exhaust manifolds off a 1995 Bronco 351W I had. If needed PM me.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:46 AM
hoss73ford
Elder User
hoss73ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just as bad is having to do the job twice. Put a new gas tank on a later year truck (under the bed) only to find the repop sending unit doesn't work. So had to burn off 10 gallons so I could drop the stupid thing. Before I put the next sending unit in, I hooked up the wire to see if it worked or not and it did. I took a chance on another repop as there was only 1 NOS available and they wanted $164 for it.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:53 AM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
Jefffafa, the c4 came from a montego or something similar (obviously with a floor shift).
Seafoam is probably the one thing I have not tried in this effort to get the 69 to quieten down. Not sure I am going to swap engines. I feel I am stretching my skills. Heck, not even sure I am qualified to change out the lifters. I would much rather get that engine with 37K miles working properly then changing two engines. I do always use ford FL1A filters.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
There are case fill C-4s and there are pan fill C-4s. Case fill C-4s will have a 'step' in the case just behind the converter housing. Pan fill C-4s will have a 'flare' in the case just behind the converter housing.

Pan fill C-4s are GENERALLY installed in Ford cars and pan filled C-4s are GENERALLY installed in the trucks.

Step case, case fill C-4.

Flare case, pan fill C-4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.