1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Got back to my trailer last afternoon and pulled the hubs on the braking wheels. Magnets had no magnetism in them. Two more on the way. Hope that resolves them. Busy afternoon - after that, bought and installed a new battery in the Harley (what a difference), mowed the yard and as I walked in from the yard, wife informed me our microwave would only run 10 seconds and quit. So off to Lowes for another one.
On the project side, I did mess with the timing on the 300-six. Running and starting better but very rich. Had issues making timing light work, so played it by ear.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Parts truck retrieved

Was a long and winding ride running the backroads home as I could only drive 40 mph safely. But got it home without incident.

Wiring hacked up

Don't know if much can be discerned from this.

She be rough

High hump. But rust not bad. Unfortunately the roof is beat up pretty bad . Expect to salvage doors. Maybe a/c

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Intresting that the engine has a serpentine belt system! What year is the engine suppose to be?

Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Intresting that the engine has a serpentine belt system! What year is the engine suppose to be?
Yep. A friend and car guy noticed the same thing. Obviously, an aftermarket change. Not a bad one, but in the process, they did away with the a/c compressor.
This is a 71.
A couple of more views.
My acquaintance thinks it's a 302 and possibly a newer 302 with, hopefully, the roller tappets.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I think that is part of the factory serpentine belt system off an 80's Crown Vic. Not sure though. It appears to be collection of parts. 72/74 carb, points Dizzy, 1978 and newer P/S pump, no belt tensioner for the serp belt.

To make sure it is a 302 and not a 351W just look at the front of the block. Notice how the deck height is right at the top of the W/P mount boss on a 302. On a 351W the deck is about 3/4" above it.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Well that will provide me something to look for when I next check on it.
thanks for the tip.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Lvcrprts
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well i guess you have to decide on truck parts or woman parts..... truck parts are cheaper !! But shiny new clean parts are so much fun to get in the mail. I have been told i love my truck more than i loved my ex.....maybe hehe.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I went fishing yesterday, and the wife made us 6 burritos to take. When we got back, she had made a fresh peach cobbler, and had vanilla ice cream in the freezer.. Ya just gotta love a wife like that..

Baja

"A woman who carries a little extra weight, lives longer than a man who mentions it"

Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Oddly enough, started back on this project in earnest. A friend knew of a young man who worked for a local body shop who liked to do stuff on the side. We met up and looked over my forever project and said the truck was not that bad.
He started this past weekend grinding off all of the bondo another friend and I had put on about two years ago on the cab corners for our less than precise repairs. He did some work getting body lines to line up and worked on the lower door panels. Ordered some sheet metal for him to use on the door panels and the lower portion of the rear fenders. He thinks working a day or two a week, we can be ready for prime in about 2 months. I am hopeful.
I found a 1969 F100 wiring harness in great shape that I want to use to install my f600 gauge cluster. I started working on that project. Thought about just going through and disconnecting the old and pulling it out and then working the new one in. Thinking that might be the better approach.
I have pulled the old grille and did a base install on the replacement 68 grille. It will have to come off eventually for prime and paint, but going to try to get it installed as well from a wiring perspective.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like you"re things moving again. That good to hear. It'll be a month or so before the weather is warm enough for me to even start doing any truck work

Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Good news on your project moving forward again amigo. While I hang my hat in Aledo Texas some of the year, its going to be 80 today in Baja, and I see it is 49 in Aledo, with fog and cold sleet/rain. Stay dry and out of that cold, all of you North of the border.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Good news on your project moving forward again amigo. While I hang my hat in Aledo Texas some of the year, its going to be 80 today in Baja, and I see it is 49 in Aledo, with fog and cold sleet/rain. Stay dry and out of that cold, all of you North of the border.
Over 80 yesterday. Today started in the 60s and already into the 40s. Sunday will drop to mid 20s and Monday and Tuesday supposed to get into the low 20s.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Well, I am still wishing I had not bought the parts truck. Those west coast mirrors are sure going to be expensive considering the $800 for the truck, the $1300 for the car hauler, $600 for the tires and the $50 a month for storage. So far I can probably sell a few items from the truck and maybe utilize a few things more than just the west coast mirrors. I was hoping to use engine and trans.
But back to the project at hand. My part time body guy had me buy some sheet metal and some lightweight bondo to work on my poorly repaired cab corners and rust on the lower portion of the doors and on the fenders.
Hoping to put in two days this weekend on the project. Hope I can work on my wiring (separate post for those interested) while he is doing that.

Lots of my bondo ground off and bed removed.

Body guy would rather repair this, then use the doors off of my parts truck.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Try using some rust converter, (phosphoric acid), after grinding away all the rust area, and coat the inside of the door with it. It stops the rust, well most of it, in the future...An old saying is that Rust never sleeps...

Baja

Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Try using some rust converter, (phosphoric acid), after grinding away all the rust area, and coat the inside of the door with it. It stops the rust, well most of it, in the future...An old saying is that Rust never sleeps...

Baja
I have used a lot of ospho and por 15 on this and my previous f100 (which I wish I still had). I noticed the rust on the fender wells of the flareside resulted "bad" design in the way Ford mated two layers of steel for the braces. "the king is gone but he is not forgotten."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned