1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
I am pretty sure the 4 speed granny option used the high tunnel. It was one of the stock offerings on my generation. That tranny is pretty readily available on CL and other sources. I came across a reference to a Ford Town and Country 3 speed with overdrive that was popular on cars (fairmonts and monarchs) and had a truck version as well. Identifying one of those on CL has been a little challenging. Other names were RUG, top loader 4 and t-170. Not sure would go into installing one of these, but it does have some appear.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:09 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
I am pretty sure the 4 speed granny option used the high tunnel. It was one of the stock offerings on my generation. That tranny is pretty readily available on CL and other sources. I came across a reference to a Ford Town and Country 3 speed with overdrive that was popular on cars (fairmonts and monarchs) and had a truck version as well. Identifying one of those on CL has been a little challenging. Other names were RUG, top loader 4 and t-170. Not sure would go into installing one of these, but it does have some appear.
Don't even think about using one of those as they are big POJ's. Get a M-5OD from a later F-150 as it uses the SBF pattern with the Sixes. You will have to convert to a hydraulic clutch. They have one annoying habit in which the rubber plugs on top of the trans rot out which causes the ATF to leak out and trashes the trans. Replace them with a steel Dorman plug set.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
I have seen references to the Mazda transmissions before - and I ran across a bump owner who installed a M5R2 in his pickup and detailed it to some degree at fordification - M5R2 5-Speed Transmission Swap Into 67-72 F100 - FORDification.com

Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Well, heck. My project might be on track again.
Found me a parts truck, relatively close at a reasonable price that has a 302 (that runs) with a c4 that will go forward. Looks like might a few other parts available as well based on visit with owner.
Going to go give him his money today and he said he can hold it while I secure transport and storage.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...643923036.html

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Ended up paying for, but not retrieving the parts truck last night. So another $850 on the project. Looks like some sheetmetal I can use, like the doors as well. the a/c seemed complete inside the truck, but was missing the compressor under the hood. It was the "deluxe" version with the little glove box. Truck was acquired at a police auction, so no true title. He gave me all of the paper work he received at the auction. Plan is to get it home, unload it at my house. See about getting it up and running and once running and rolling (provided such happens) then prep to transfer to my truck. the cab is actually in better shape then mine, so contemplating that option.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ended up paying for, but not retrieving the parts truck last night. So another $850 on the project. Looks like some sheetmetal I can use, like the doors as well. the a/c seemed complete inside the truck, but was missing the compressor under the hood. It was the "deluxe" version with the little glove box. Truck was acquired at a police auction, so no true title. He gave me all of the paper work he received at the auction. Plan is to get it home, unload it at my house. See about getting it up and running and once running and rolling (provided such happens) then prep to transfer to my truck. the cab is actually in better shape then mine, so contemplating that option.
If it has the front disc brakes and you aren't using them I would be interested in buying them and the brake booster/MC

Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pchelp
If it has the front disc brakes and you aren't using them I would be interested in buying them and the brake booster/MC
I am betting it has front disc brakes - I see a power booster in the picture.
I already have power front disc brakes.
I did purchase a used car hauler yesterday that I am going to use to get the parts truck home.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am betting it has front disc brakes - I see a power booster in the picture.
I already have power front disc brakes.
I did purchase a used car hauler yesterday that I am going to use to get the parts truck home.
Hey hilcountryfit, last Sat I just picked up my disc front end. Working on getting parts together now. Thanks

Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pchelp
Hey hilcountryfit, last Sat I just picked up my disc front end. Working on getting parts together now. Thanks
Well let me know. much of what is under the hood goes to my project. But some, if not most, of the frame components might be going to salvage.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Well, took the owner's thoughts on the engine in the donor truck. Ends up, the VIN indicates it is a 360.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
In the pic it looks small enough it prolly is a 302. Swapped in some time in it's life.
Congrats on the find.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Might get it Sunday. Been trying to get the lights working on my "new" car hauler. That is taken care of but trailer brakes are not working. Wonder if I can get by without the trailer brakes. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Expedition EL.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The trailer that carried my 69 F350 didn't have brakes and it became a white knuckle ride on a couple of downhills. My buddy had borrowed the trailer from a friend and of course he said " oh yea, everything works fine." My buddy was driving. When we got it home he sat down and had a stiff drink. Be careful and take your time.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Might get it Sunday. Been trying to get the lights working on my "new" car hauler. That is taken care of but trailer brakes are not working. Wonder if I can get by without the trailer brakes. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Expedition EL.
Make sure below is how the trailer is wired. Years ago I knew a guy with a Dodge truck trying to borrow a trailer from my Buddy who has a Ford truck. This guy wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the package. He claimed the trailer was wired differently than his truck so he didn't borrow it.
I believe "auxiliary" is actually battery 12V.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:48 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Did get the wiring figured out - black is auxiliary (I guess for a charger or the like). Also, found out there are two versions of the 7 pin (one is SAE and the other is RV). I initially bought the RV, got it wired to my circuit block and connected to my trailer wiring. Had to return it and do it again. All is working. However, my trailer brakes are sort of working (barely feel them pulling). So popping the hub again (I repacked the bearings Sunday) and will try the screwdriver on the magnet test to see if it could be something as simple as a magnet gone bad after 20 years or so (:.

Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned