1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow good job! you're moving right along, and it's looking good.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:27 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Randle
Looks like your coming right along with your truck. IMO Sound deadening is some of the best money you can spend on a driver.
Made a big difference in my 69 f100. Used Dynamat in the doors, floor board and ceiling on it. Big difference.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Made a big difference in my 69 f100. Used Dynamat in the doors, floor board and ceiling on it. Big difference.
I know my truck is as quit as most newer trucks. Till I turn up the Oldies or County.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Started working the firewall pad in place after work today. Made some headway.
This is an inexpensive firewall pad I found on ebay. Company says it is made in the USA. Less than half the cost of those offered at NPD/DC. It's a big rubber pad with insulation on the backside and holes all seem to line up. Not sure what the more expensive ones offer, unless they are more rigid.
Was going to put the threshold in place to better hold the carpet in place and realized I need to put in the door seals in place.
Glue recommendations would be appreciated. Not sure how it will attach at the bottom with no lip to really work with.
While I pondered that, thought I would take a look at replacing the rear cab mounts. I am guessing a saws all type of device is needed to cut through the sleeve to allow the top bushing to come out.

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Back in the day guys used that 3M brand (or Ford) weatherstrip adhesive. Jokingly called yellow Gorilla snot. Bunch of pieces of tape holding the weatherstrip in place while the yellow death dried. I don't know if there is anything better out there now though. Kind like an instant grab type of glue.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
I picked up some 3m super weather adhesive (black) last night. I had not heard the term gorilla snot for a while.
On the weather stripping side, my new windshield seal on my 1969 is leaking on the driver's side - with all of the water we have been getting here in the Texas Hill Country, I had not noticed it, then noticed a small amount accumulating in the driver's side corner.
Back to the 71, removed the driver's side rear cabin mount bushings pretty easily with a reciprocating saw. Not having much luck on the passenger's side. Went and picked up the best blades Home Depot had and made no difference. I am guessing attempting to lift the cab back high enough to get the bushing out (about 5 inches) would not be wise.
Did tape in the drives side door seal to see how it will work (following the recommendations on the DC tip sheet). I am think that will make a real difference. Plan to just glue a little bit at a time.
My clutter. Stood in this garage two days ago and watched the hail beat my 69 during one of our many storms. We had avoided significant hail until then. Others as close a few miles away have had thousands of dollars of damage to vehicles and homes. Luckily, just a few pings on my truck. The 2016 Explorer doesn't show any signs of damage. A friend of ours had over $23000 in damage to his house.

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2016, 04:32 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Looking like good progress amigo. Isn't it nice when its clean, freshly painted, and you did it yourself? I am loving the careful, steady progress. Don't hurry...

Baja

Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Well finally got the passenger side rear cab mount bolt off. And got the new bushings installed.
Also got the drivers side door seal installed.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Well finally got the passenger side rear cab mount bolt off. And got the new bushings installed.
Also got the drivers side door seal installed.
Getting a little closer all time. Looking good.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:40 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Truck is looking good! With all that rain, you might have to start building air-boats!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
2X on that one Gary, I saw a guy fitting pontoons on his riding lawn mower...

Baja

Old 06-17-2016, 07:17 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
From flooding to heat. We are already needing to start watering our lawns in my area now.
Heat has kind of made working on the truck less than fun. Last night about 8 (still over 90 degrees) I installed the passenger side door seal (I do know why the stuff is called gorilla snot) and the parking brake assembly. However, my drivers' side vent slide is moving very roughly, so probably will pull the brake and the vent and see what's up. As hard as it to move, the handle will break eventually.
I bought two passenger's side vent gasket sets and used the big one in the spare set to seal the drivers side vent as I could not find one for it specifically.
They seem to be the same size.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Yep. The humidity is really bad here now (south-central Arkansas). I'm working on converting a '72 F100 long bed to power front discs but, it's difficult to get anything done before about 8:00 pm. It doesn't take but just a little bit of being out in the shop and my clothes will be drenched in sweat. --I HATE summer time. The bad part is that summer isn't here yet.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
It hit 94 here yesterday, and the weather clowns predict 100 on Sun.. Thanks for sharing the heat amigo.. Friends from Bay City Texas were just here for a visit, and they all talked about mowing the grass when getting back home.. I did desert landscaping here, 20 years ago, and sold my lawn mower back then. A gravel yard is easy to take care of, unless the rocks get sunburned, and you have to turn them over, ha ha ha..

Baja

Old 06-18-2016, 04:38 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
They use to spray paint the rocks green at Ft. Hood. I guess someone wanted it to remind them of grass.

Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned