Exclamation Ford Should Buy Ram Trucks!

What do you think?

Ford Should Buy Ram Trucks! - Ford-Trucks.com

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Patriotgrunt
Trailering
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Absolutely

Ram is the only other brand I even consider against Ford. My last three vehicles have been Fords but each time I test drive a Ram to compare it to. Ford wins overall because I want to reward their business practices following the bailouts of 2008 plus the fact that they make great trucks.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'd love to see Ford jump neck deep into such an acquisition.

But, is Ram really all that profitable right now? Yes, they are putting many more trucks on the road but is Ram being propped up by the Jeep division?

Ford has so many irons in the fire with engine/transmission development, other than Ram's diesel offerings, what do they really bring to Ford that Ford doesn't have or will soon have?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Jeep and a Ranger now; I've always been a Ford truck guy, but I do really like MOPAR's offerings. Their quality seems to have come a long way since the 90s. The new V6 in the Jeeps is extremely advanced from a manufacturing perspective and has a great power band. A Ford manufactured Jeep would be awesome. I think these acquisitions would be smarter than luxury brands like they've acquired in the past; seems impossible that they could lose money unless they meddle too significantly. MOPAR seems to have great designers; Ford seems to have the lean manufacturing prowess.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
A few issues- First off, it's Cummins. No g. Never has been, and never will be a G in that name.
They have a great history, but current offerings right up to heavy truck engines have issues, mostly emissions related. I have personally driven several of the late Dodge branded and later Ram branded trucks, and i do not like them. Terrible seats, poor visibility, bad fuel mileage and a stiff legged ride that was worse than my E350 box van. It wouldn't be so bad if they could handle the kind of work their stiff suspension suggests, but they can't. Even overloaded the ride was abusive. Also, the add-on dually adapters for the front axle that snap off- great piece of design work there. Cheap hard plastic interiors, and even with the 6.7 Cummins there is so much lag coming into the power it's worse than my old Mercedes with a bad ALDA. No fuel until there is boost, but not enough fuel to make the boost needed to trigger more fuel. Once it shifts into second there's a suggestion the truck might be able to keep up with traffic.
Nothing could be gained at Ford by continuing Ram's existence.
Jeep is a joke now, only one vehicle has a straight axle anymore and they've made it so wide and long it's not even related to what it used to be. The rest have IFS, or are front wheel drive car-based things, glorified station wagons. Fiat build quality hasn't helped.
Every company since Kaiser has bought the parent company to get the Jeep nameplate, and then changed it all up. AMC was amalgamated from the remains of several independent manufacturers, then pared down essentially to Jeep again. Chrysler bought AMC to get Jeep. They attempted to continue on a few of the cars under the Eagle brand, but the sales just weren't there. Now they have gone from a mix of utilitarian and luxury trucks to "crossovers" like what every other manufacturer sells.
Jeep is an anchor Ford doesn't need.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
A few issues- First off, it's Cummins. No g. Never has been, and never will be a G in that name.
They have a great history, but current offerings right up to heavy truck engines have issues, mostly emissions related. I have personally driven several of the late Dodge branded and later Ram branded trucks, and i do not like them. Terrible seats, poor visibility, bad fuel mileage and a stiff legged ride that was worse than my E350 box van. It wouldn't be so bad if they could handle the kind of work their stiff suspension suggests, but they can't. Even overloaded the ride was abusive. Also, the add-on dually adapters for the front axle that snap off- great piece of design work there. Cheap hard plastic interiors, and even with the 6.7 Cummins there is so much lag coming into the power it's worse than my old Mercedes with a bad ALDA. No fuel until there is boost, but not enough fuel to make the boost needed to trigger more fuel. Once it shifts into second there's a suggestion the truck might be able to keep up with traffic.
Jeep is a joke now, only one vehicle has a straight axle anymore and they've made it so wide and long it's not even related to what it used to be. The rest have IFS, or are front wheel drive car-based things, glorified station wagons. Fiat build quality hasn't helped.
Every company since Kaiser has bought the parent company to get the Jeep nameplate, and then changed it all up. AMC was amalgamated from the remains of several independent manufacturers, then pared down essentially to Jeep again. Chrysler bought AMC to get Jeep. They attempted to continue on a few of the cars under the Eagle brand, but the sales just weren't there. Now they have gone from a mix of utilitarian and luxury trucks to "crossovers" like what every other manufacturer sells.

very well said. let them die the slow painful death they are headed for.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 AM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree and x2 on well said.
funny thing about the interior comment; I have thought the same about ford interiors for a while, cheap hard plastic look.
Last jeep I would buy and consider a real jeep would be about a 2004 when you could select between 2/4 wd. I think that was the last year and everything went selectrac afterwards.
I liked my 04 jeep interior but wasn't a fan of the ram's like you posted.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:08 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No to dodge, why, there's no reason to buy it.

To my mind and it is a formidable one the AMC years were the best Jeeps period. AMC did great by the Jeep brand.

I'd LOVE for Ford to buy Jeep though. It might be too late now with what Chrysler has done to Jeep but I think Ford has exactly what the Jeep brand needs and Jeep has exactly the brand image that Ford needs. I've wanted Ford to buy Jeep every time that Chrysler has gone **** up, heck if I had an opinion at the time I would have wanted Ford to buy Jeep when AMC went bust. I can only imagine what Jeep would be today if Ford had bought it instead of Chrysler and it's all good.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I have had both Kaiser and AMC Wagoneers, the AMC build quality is terrible compared to the Kaiser. Vacuum everything that sucks (or doesn't suck, as the case may be), and cheap materials. Shortcuts on slapping things together with no concern as to fixing them later, and some bizarrely under-speced components (two piece D20 axle shafts under heavy SUVs come to mind) are a few of their hallmarks.
AMC did do ok with the XJ, with a few minor issues. For starters, the Renix control system is a poorly supported pain, and the driver's footwell is too small. The GM v6 used initially wasn't exactly a powerhouse either.
The 3.7 V6 Chrysler used had one horrific flaw that could have been fixed for about $.60 per engine, maybe less. The engine has individual coils that sit on the spark plugs, which are in wells in the heads. The coils have an o-ring at the base, but over time the o-ring wears, and allows water in. This of course can't go anywhere and leaves you with a misfire until the coil is pulled and dried. Had Chrysler added a very simple umbrella shaped seal to the upper end of the coil probe, the water would be diverted and never get in the wells in the first place. It's especially fun if the cowl lacing is shot allowing a heavy downpour to fill two of the wells (four on the similar V8 found in the Durango). Extra points if this downpour happens while the truck is parked at the airport for a week, of course empty of any tools so they don't get stolen.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The Jeep would be a nice machine with a Ford drive train. Ford could do well with the addition of two diesels, the 3.0L and the Cummins.

It's too soon to tell how well the 3.0L will pan out but it's a great starting point.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:35 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Here is another twist. I read an article on Diesel Army that Cummins is dropping Dodge and going to Toyota.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hturner12
Here is another twist. I read an article on Diesel Army that Cummins is dropping Dodge and going to Toyota.
I think Toyota would be better served by building an in house diesel. Their engines are amazing and I'll bet their diesel would be no exception.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think Toyota would be better served by building an in house diesel. Their engines are amazing and I'll bet their diesel would be no exception.
From what I read it was to make it truly American since they are built in Tx

Old 05-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Cummins is building a 5.0 V8 for Nissan, last I heard. I know Toyota showed off an HD dually Tundra years back with a Hino diesel, their diesels are quite good. I would love to get the JDM 2.0 diesel for my Camry, it's supposed to be a bolt in swap. No trans control issues since it has a five speed.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Cummins is building a 5.0 V8 for Nissan, last I heard. I know Toyota showed off an HD dually Tundra years back with a Hino diesel, their diesels are quite good. I would love to get the JDM 2.0 diesel for my Camry, it's supposed to be a bolt in swap. No trans control issues since it has a five speed.
Here is the article

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/cummins-to-end-partnership-with-ram-could-this-be-true/