Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Oil Leak

Old 06-18-2015, 12:09 PM
texasranger556
Freshman User
texasranger556 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod View Post
I see what you were talking about on the oil stain on the turbo but interestingly the down pipe looks dry inside (no oil there). Not sure what to make of that if you didn't spray any lube on the clamp. You may want to torque check the oil cooler cover bolts where they go into the block and the oil pump cover as well. If they are very loose it can cause leaks. Some of the sensors on the cover can leak also. It appears the leak was far enough foreward to soak the wire harness under the turbo.

I don't know if it happened getting it apart but the alignment bracket on the turbo drain tube is tweaked pretty badly. If it was like that when you pulled it apart that may be contributing to the leak.
I just re-read your post...missed the part about checking the torque on the oil cooler cover. Happen to know what torque the bolts should be? Service manual is next on the list.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
While you have it apart again, I'd do the blue spring fuel reg. upgrade if it hasn't already been done.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:25 PM
texasranger556
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
While you have it apart again, I'd do the blue spring fuel reg. upgrade if it hasn't already been done.
Previous owner said he had it done. New EGR cooler, cleaned turbo, blue spring update, reman injectors from someone in Texas (forget the name, but supposedly active on forums), new batteries, and new brakes within the last 20k miles. Good idea though, thanks!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
torque chart starts on page 84 here.
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Don Naslund
Elder User
Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.
Did you find your oil leak yet? Since the oil cooler had been replaced, maybe they cracked the oil filter housing or pinched the o-ring under the filter housing.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:29 PM
texasranger556
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund View Post
Did you find your oil leak yet? Since the oil cooler had been replaced, maybe they cracked the oil filter housing or pinched the o-ring under the filter housing.
Previous owner had said he had the EGR cooler replaced, not sure how old the oil cooler is but the delta looked good last time I checked.

As far as the oil leak goes; work took me overseas for most of the summer so the truck sat untouched since my last update until late August. I ended up pulling the intake and then oil cooler cover. The o-ring was pretty hard so I got a new OEM oil cooler seal kit and installed it. While the intake was off I scraped about 1/2 cup of black goo out of it then ended up pressure washing it out, then decided I really didn't want to put the EGR cooler back in so I got a delete kit from Alpha Dog through Amazon. Doing it over again I'd have gotten one that doesn't replace the up-pipe and instead puts a plug/plate in the EGR cooler port on the up pipe. Put everything back together and no more oil leak, however the new up pipe was leaking at the manifold connection. Through this process I realized that the last person to wok on the truck had left the up pipe bolts loose at both manifolds, so I've been leaking exhaust from day 1. After a few iterations of removing the up pipe bolts and the v-band clamp on the turbo (lots of fun), I was able to clean up the face of the exhaust connections and with a little bit of exhaust sealer no more exhaust leaks.

Now for some pics...

The o-ring I believe was leaking (new vs old):

O-ring against the block:

Finally got to drive it 5 miles today, the brakes where quite rusty, but they should clean up fairly quick. Thanks everyone for the help!