Toyhauler modifications thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big-Foot, that is awesome! Thank you! I think that's the route we're going to go. Would love to get a triple in there.

Did you attach it to the floor?

Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
Big-Foot, that is awesome! Thank you! I think that's the route we're going to go. Would love to get a triple in there.

Did you attach it to the floor?
Thanks...
The only way to get a triple in our unit would have been to toss the dinette out.
We did not anchor it. The slide it sits in is carpeted and the feet of the unit dig right into the carpet. You would have a very hard time trying to slide the seating anywhere.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
our recliners also are not attached... just parked on carpet..

2 years and they have not moved. maybe 7,000 miles.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I need to do something about the seat bottoms of the dinette in my unit. They are uncomfortable, especially if you try to seat three people on it. The middle person gets a bar on their butt. When converted into a bed it's not any better. There's posts from guys that have changed out the foam for improved comfort, but if I'm going to change the foam I think the fabric is going to get changed also.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I need to do something about the seat bottoms of the dinette in my unit. They are uncomfortable, especially if you try to seat three people on it. The middle person gets a bar on their butt. When converted into a bed it's not any better. There's posts from guys that have changed out the foam for improved comfort, but if I'm going to change the foam I think the fabric is going to get changed also.
If I were going to keep my dinette I'd do the same thing. The kids are more pliable than the adults. They sleep/sit on the foam without issues. My wife and I however can't stand sitting on that material. I would take just the cushions to an upholstery shop to see what the options were. I can't image it being too expensive to get done. They might just say there isn't much they can do with the limited thickness and lack of suspension under the padding material. Like you would find on a regular piece of furniture.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
While winterizing my trailer today I cut some insulation pieces to go inside the following doors to keep the cold air outside:
Water ports access
Stovetop vent fan (need to remember to pull this one out when I fire up the stove!)
Toy cleaning hose
Outside shower hose
Both garage vent doors
30 amp powercord access hatch

I'll be taking my trailer out in a couple of weeks. But the weather is supposed to get down to 22° F this week.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:03 PM
ZooDad
Received 590 Likes on 344 Posts
While winterizing my trailer today I cut some insulation pieces to go inside the following doors to keep the cold air outside:
Water ports access
Stovetop vent fan (need to remember to pull this one out when I fire up the stove!)
Toy cleaning hose
Outside shower hose
Both garage vent doors
30 amp powercord access hatch

I'll be taking my trailer out in a couple of weeks. But the weather is supposed to get down to 22° F this week.
Great idea for the insulation over the doors. Gotta add that.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:39 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Here's a picture of one of the doors I insulated. Note the screw in the middle. I use the screw to pull the insulation out. The insulation is in there tight!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Jim nice job going after all the little areas every little bit helps.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Looking at the photo I posted I'm a bit embarrassed at how dirty my trailer is. Silicone caulk attracts dirt like crazy but the rest of the trailer isn't real clean either.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Added 2x 6v GC-2 golf cart batteries too my solar array... Man do those little babies hold some amp hours!

Had full batteries all weekend up at Palomar Mountain Observatory. Just had to fire up the genny for some microwave usage. Really nice being able to have that much juice in reserve. Blasted the radio all day without worry.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:04 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Tricon, do you have the GC-2 batteries in a battery case? The reason I ask is that my old Interstate GC-2 batteries fit in a case just fine (albeit quite tight) while my new Trojan GC-2 batteries fit poorly. I need a new case.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Looking at the photo I posted I'm a bit embarrassed at how dirty my trailer is. Silicone caulk attracts dirt like crazy but the rest of the trailer isn't real clean either.
Pick and choose the battles as long as you keep the rain out and heat in you're winning.
Don't forget if you use the buddy heater it's going to put alot of moisture (condensation) in the rig you might need an extra towel or 2 for wiping. Leaving cupboard doors open some so heat can get in the out and away spaces it helps some.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Yup, they were a little tall for my current boxes but they are perfect fit on the other dimensions. I bought the Costco variety GC-2's, the boxes came with the trailer, I can look later for the manufacturer, but if I were to buy again I'd look for a GC-2 sized case anyways.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tricon
Added 2x 6v GC-2 golf cart batteries too my solar array... Man do those little babies hold some amp hours!

Had full batteries all weekend up at Palomar Mountain Observatory. Just had to fire up the genny for some microwave usage. Really nice being able to have that much juice in reserve. Blasted the radio all day without worry.

Nice nothing wrong with free, quiet power.

Quick Reply: Toyhauler modifications thread