6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

If you're bored

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
If you're bored

I know some folks here got real problems - I've been one of them too many times. Please help them first. But, if you're bored, I'm just wondering what is happening when my truck makes the loud screeching noise.

From my other posts, recall it is a theft recovery with a missing exhaust system from the cat back. Starts up and sounds great, then in about 3 seconds, all hell breaks lose with loud screeching.

Other posts describe how the turbo vanes do something from a cold start before settling in - could that be the screeching noise, just loud because there's no exhaust pipe? When I first messed with this yesterday, it seemed like the screeching quieted down a whole lot after just a few more seconds of running, but I'm not sure. Today, I started it but shut it down immediately when it started that screeching - it just sounds terrible.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could try taking off the serp belt, but only for a short time, and see if it stops.
i guess your turbines in the turbo could be scrapping the housing but i don't think that would last long.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:21 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Here I was thinking you were going to post: if you are bored, you just need to by another 6.0!...

So, does it sound like it is coming from the exhaust? Since the truck sat so long the vanes could be stuck or sticking. But I will tell you that we were hooking up the trailer a few days before your other post with the video, so I was right back by our exhaust.

It sounded the same, just quieter -- that is why I asked about exhaust.

Our truck has completely stock exhaust, Cat Conv., muffler and all tubing...

I'd be working other things myself, and finding a stock exhaust someone took off.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
I think it might just be normal to make that much noise. I recall it being surprising loud when I dropped the pipe on my other truck once. I'll put a new pipe on it first, then see if it sounds normal.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 PM
evan1242
Elder User
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
I think it might just be normal to make that much noise. I recall it being surprising loud when I dropped the pipe on my other truck once. I'll put a new pipe on it first, then see if it sounds normal.
is this what yours is doing?
if so, try unplugging your VGT solenoid.
also could be alignment of Y pipe to turbo.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I get a loud screech when the fan kicks on, I believe it is either the fan pulley bearing or clutch or even perhaps the idler pulley bearing. Another good option above with a up pipe connection to the turbo on the exhaust turbine side, hi pressure, very loud squeel if it's got a leak. Hard to locate with open exhaust, once you put exhaust on her it will be easier.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by evan1242
is this what yours is doing?
if so, try unplugging your VGT solenoid.
also could be alignment of Y pipe to turbo.

6.0 Powerstroke noise coming form turbo or crack y pipe???? - YouTube
That might be it! What was making the noise in this vid start and stop? Mine starts like that, after the first few seconds of running. It may have stopped too, or lessened, but I was moving around the car at the time and with the exhaust gone, the noise levels change significantly from side to side, top to bottom.

So, unplugging the VGT solenoid will do what? Make the turbo quit turning?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:11 AM
evan1242
Elder User
That might be it! What was making the noise in this vid start and stop? Mine starts like that, after the first few seconds of running. It may have stopped too, or lessened, but I was moving around the car at the time and with the exhaust gone, the noise levels change significantly from side to side, top to bottom.

So, unplugging the VGT solenoid will do what? Make the turbo quit turning?
im not sure what unplugging the VGT will do. probably open it up all the way, which would in turn slow the turbo down.
thats just what that guy did, and his noise went away.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Here I was thinking you were going to post: if you are bored, you just need to by another 6.0!...

So, does it sound like it is coming from the exhaust? Since the truck sat so long the vanes could be stuck or sticking. But I will tell you that we were hooking up the trailer a few days before your other post with the video, so I was right back by our exhaust.

It sounded the same, just quieter -- that is why I asked about exhaust.

Our truck has completely stock exhaust, Cat Conv., muffler and all tubing...

I'd be working other things myself, and finding a stock exhaust someone took off.

Replacing all the stock components would be my preference, but the dealer wants too much for the cat, and the dismantler I called said none of the yards save exhaust systems - they all just cut the cat out and scrap the rest. He said it's illegal to resell a used cat. Which explains why on Car-parts.com there's almost nothing in the search results for exhaust parts.

I should be able to delete the cat with a straight pipe and replace the rest of the exhaust and muffler with stock parts that would all just bolt together and use existing hangars. But, Ford still wants too much for their parts, and I don't think these are particularly critical. So, I'll prolly just get a local muffler shop to fab up a new tail pipe w/muffler from the downpipe back rather than have a separate delete pipe.

If I'm real lucky, I could find a wrecked truck with enough of the parts I need to make it a better deal. Between my two trucks, I could use both front fenders, hood, rear right fender, right running board, left pass door glass, spare tire winch, and some misc interior parts in addition to the exhaust system. If I were to buy all those parts (prolly wouldn't), I'd easily spend $3000 or more. But, I might find a totalled truck with $1000-$1500 worth of parts I need, plus some other parts that I'll eventually need, for less than that and sell the carcass to a scrap yard.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:09 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Replacing all the stock components would be my preference, but the dealer wants too much for the cat, and the dismantler I called said none of the yards save exhaust systems - they all just cut the cat out and scrap the rest. He said it's illegal to resell a used cat. Which explains why on Car-parts.com there's almost nothing in the search results for exhaust parts.

I should be able to delete the cat with a straight pipe and replace the rest of the exhaust and muffler with stock parts that would all just bolt together and use existing hangars. But, Ford still wants too much for their parts, and I don't think these are particularly critical. So, I'll prolly just get a local muffler shop to fab up a new tail pipe w/muffler from the downpipe back rather than have a separate delete pipe.

If I'm real lucky, I could find a wrecked truck with enough of the parts I need to make it a better deal. Between my two trucks, I could use both front fenders, hood, rear right fender, right running board, left pass door glass, spare tire winch, and some misc interior parts in addition to the exhaust system. If I were to buy all those parts (prolly wouldn't), I'd easily spend $3000 or more. But, I might find a totalled truck with $1000-$1500 worth of parts I need, plus some other parts that I'll eventually need, for less than that and sell the carcass to a scrap yard.
No, probably with your luck (good) you will find another "runner" and start another thread titled: "bought a 3rd 6.0"...!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:36 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
No, probably with your luck (good) you will find another "runner" and start another thread titled: "bought a 3rd 6.0"...!
LOL, you're prolly right. The ones I've seen so far are too nice to throw away.

How about starting a FTE Dismantling biz? Between everyone here, we can prolly consume quite a few wrecked trucks.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
I just bought another one. 03 excursion. Have to pick it up tuesday.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:16 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Old 05-24-2015, 04:26 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Looks good! Does it start? I'm worse at bodywork than wrenchin', does that need the whole front clip?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
New grill, wax job and bug deflector.... should be good to go.

Quick Reply: If you're bored