Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup / Rear view cameras - what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 PM
ShawnQ
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Backup / Rear view cameras - what are you using?

Rear view/backup cameras have become extremely cheap and more common than ever. They are wireless, use android, etc.

I searched...but figured with recent advancements in technology, a new thread was in order.

So, if you were installing a rear view camera on your Ex, what would you use and why?

What do you have?

I'd like one that is part of the rearview mirror, like my Ram 2500. It allows you to use the mirror and camera at the same time.

Any advice is appreciated. Looking to install one soon!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been researching this a little as well. My need/want is to have one view for the hitch and another for back of the trailer. So, two cameras...

What I am considering is the following Garmin with a back up camera for behind the trailer view (wireless camera) Garmin RV 760LMT (With Wireless Back-Up Camera) Portable navigator with voice-activated navigation for RV drivers — includes free lifetime map and traffic updates at Crutchfield.com. Then I would also want to put the following rear view mirror/backup camera/ dash cam for the hitch view App-Tronics SmartVision Mirror Replacement mirror with dash cam, rear-view camera, and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

Old 05-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Tuquala
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a Rydeen mini HD camera in the tailgate handle area. Purchased on ePray. It is cabled, hooked up to a in-dash head unit. Tried the license mount with the camera, but could not get a good view of the ball to coupler when hooking up to our trailer. Have to admit that the wired style is a bunch more work, but never has any reception problems!!

Link to mfg: MINy HD Camera | Rydeen Mobile Electronics

Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 PM
shelby67air
Junior User
Had the wireless camera on my expedition

Got rid of the truck with the backup camera. Now want a nice camera for the back of my excursion as well. Was thinking of maybe two cameras one for tow hitch and one for higher up. Interested in what others have found.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
I also want to have two backup cameras; one for the hitch and the other behind the trailer. I have started with the camera for the hitch and I used my stereo for the screen. I will have a switch that will change from one camera to the other.
I have put the camera next to the handle in the rear hatch like some others have done.

camera
http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush-Mount-Camera-Vision/dp/B000MCKA5Q http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush-Mount-Camera-Vision/dp/B000MCKA5Q

Tim M

Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have this system,
Pyle PLCM7200 7-Inch TFT Mirror Monitor with Rearview Night Vision Camera:Amazon:Car Electronics
But upgraded to this camera and it's much much better.
Pyle PLCM18BC License Plate Mount Rearview Backup Color Camera with Distance Scale Line (Zinc Black Chrome):Amazon:Car Electronics

Planning on adding another one of the camera for my front license plate now that I have a front hitch. Surprisingly difficult to hook up without taking 5 tries.

If only I could find a 12 volt dvr that would continuously loop record both cameras I'd be set.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:24 AM
stpete
Senior User
Originally Posted by timf150
I also want to have two backup cameras; one for the hitch and the other behind the trailer. I have started with the camera for the hitch and I used my stereo for the screen. I will have a switch that will change from one camera to the other.
I have put the camera next to the handle in the rear hatch like some others have done.

camera
http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush.../dp/B000MCKA5Q

Tim M
That really seems like the way to go. I just have a fundamental difficulty drilling a permanent hole in the truck for a $17 camera. These aftermarket cameras (or anything else made by Pyle) just seem like disposable products. I'm hesitant to make a permanent mod for one.

I'd be interested in seeing shots of the video to compare a license plate mount to a hatch mount. This is very high on my list right now, along with a new stereo.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
I bought one of these from Amazon and have it hooked to the HU. It's actually a really nice little camera and am going to put one on the front with a rocker switch between them. I haven't used it for trying to back up to a trailer though.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Car License Plate Frame Rear View Backup Camera, (170 Degree Wide Angle / Night Vision / Waterproof Metal Casing / Black) TT-CC17: Car Electronics Amazon.com: TaoTronics Car License Plate Frame Rear View Backup Camera, (170 Degree Wide Angle / Night Vision / Waterproof Metal Casing / Black) TT-CC17: Car Electronics

Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by stpete
That really seems like the way to go. I just have a fundamental difficulty drilling a permanent hole in the truck for a $17 camera. These aftermarket cameras (or anything else made by Pyle) just seem like disposable products. I'm hesitant to make a permanent mod for one.

I'd be interested in seeing shots of the video to compare a license plate mount to a hatch mount. This is very high on my list right now, along with a new stereo.
I felt the same way as you but I actually had another complete rear hatch piece just in case I ruined mine. It ended up coming out great.

Issues:
Since the camera is to the right of the handle it is not perfectly centered to the hitch.
The angle I used was not steep enough for a regular hitch.

Here is what I see through my reverse camera.

Tim M

Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Bought a little 4" or 5" screen off of ebay...made a bracket to put it up with the overhead console:

Bought a sub-$20 camera from Fry's and made an L bracket to slip between the third brake light and the hatch. Sprayed it black and used some double-sided tape to keep it from vibrating (the light keeps it in place as well):

Not bad picture quality, great angle when hitching up (can tell right when the ball is under the trailer:

Note that the only reason I can see the ball mount from this camera position is that it's one of those adjustable ones that are longer than standard ones:

If I had a regular ball setup, I'd try to find a camera I could mount lower (bottom of the hatch, etc.) to still get the 'down' view.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well since my backup sensors don't work maybe I should hold off on my bumper and just use the money from that to get a new head unit and rear camera. The extra money can go towards buying a small trailer to haul dirt and mulch in so I can get some much needed work done on the yard too... So I guess first up for me would be head units, what do you guys recommend? Also I need to send an email to Michael first to see what he says about this

Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Could you guys name your head units as well? Im looking to upgrade from stock. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Well since my backup sensors don't work maybe I should hold off on my bumper and just use the money from that to get a new head unit and rear camera. The extra money can go towards buying a small trailer to haul dirt and mulch in so I can get some much needed work done on the yard too... So I guess first up for me would be head units, what do you guys recommend? Also I need to send an email to Michael first to see what he says about this
Well I'm out on this lol. I called a week ago to get an update on the bumper and they said a few more weeks and I just got a call saying it was done and will ship tomorrow Looks like I'm getting my bumper!!!!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is another option http://www.iballhitchcam.com/products/iball-wireless-trailer-hitch-camera#.VV5bW1L3aJJ