1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lincoln Versailles bfakeson my F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 AM
Mitch1129
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lincoln Versailles bfakeson my F1

Ok F1 guru's once again I need saved. I was told my 52 F1 had Versailles Lincoln brakes on it. Tore my axle apart and getting it off to Nostalgia Sids. I want to replace the rotors and wheel bearings while it's off. Dumb question but has this been done before or is it a "popular" swap? Hard to order parts when you don't know what you got?? I know you guys can give me some type of insight or better ideas. please let me know ASAP the truck is at the garage as we speak

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Mitch1129
Senior User
I was told it's a 5x 4.5 bolt pattern if that helps.....

Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Are we talking front or rear axle? I'm assuming front as you mentioned sending it off to Sid, presumably for 'dropping.' Typically when someone mentions Lincoln Versailles disc brakes, they're speaking of the 9" rear with disc brakes the Versailles came with as standard, and had been a popular swap in many applications for years as it's narrow to fit in Mustangs, etc. If your front brakes came from said Versailles, they're the same as Granada, which means you likely have some kind of aftermarket retrofit going. We'll need more info and preferably pics to help you determine what you have. Bearings can be matched up by the bearing number stamped/printed on them.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Mitch1129
Senior User
Sorry it's the front.i think I'm going to just change the whole set up with a Speedway or Johnny Law MustangII convkit that comes with bearings, rotors, and everything. That way I eliminate an guessing what's on it?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
This is a major reason to set up a notebook for any build and document every and any parts that are changed. divide it into sections: chassis, brakes steering, engine, transmission, electrical, etc etc include pocket dividers/document protectors. Write down where every part you change came from (supplier, and/or donor), stock #, specs, (put any instructions, booklets, literature that came with the parts into the document protectors), who did the work, when it was done and keep it with the truck. It will prove to be invaluable down the road, and shows a prospective buyer you cared and can increase the selling price several hundred dollars. Even if you are not the builder, still start a book, and as you work on your acquisition, record any and all numbers/names you find on the parts, such as the case here, the wheel bearings, grease seals, rotor#, hub#, caliper#, pad# and any/all info you find out about it.

AFA the OP's specific question: I have no info on your brakes, but if they have had disks installed, They are likely to be from a conversion kit, and the parts are going to be of modern vintage if not nearly new. Unless the disks are scored, the pads wore out, or the bearings dry of grease, I wouldn't replace them. They won't be hard to do later if needed. If you want to do something, I'd take the bearings out and clean/inspect them. If they don't show signs of wear or damage repack them and replace the grease seal. The seal should have a manufacturers name and model # on it that can be cross referenced both for matching with new and to cross to what vehicles used that seal to give you a clue as to where the hubs came from, if unmarked.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If my memory still serves me well, the Versailles rear was a Ford 9" with disc brakes and highly sought after until the low production dud Versailles inventory dried up in the salvage yards. Did they replace only the brakes or was the entire rear swapped? The housing length would have been a bit shorter than the full sized cars of the era but close for your truck.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
BE CAREFUL! I would HIGHLY recommend searching for complaints, Johnny Law, and Hoffman Group. Johnny Law is a Hoffman group company.

I'm totally confused tho, you said you were pulling the axle to send to Sid, that means it's a beam axle. Now you are talking about an MII kit??? The MII brake kits are for a MII IFS conversion, not for a beam axle disk brake conversion. If you want a new (different) disk brake conversion for your beam axle I'd suggest getting one from Classic Haulers, www.classichaulers.com they can tell you the source of all the parts and what they interchange with.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:26 AM
Mitch1129
Senior User
Ahhh glad you said that Ax. I wasn't thinking about the MII kit not being for the I beam set up. Almost messed up. Thank you for pointing that out. Gotta look into it. My front brake set up is supposedly off a Lincoln? Possibly the Versailles the previous owner said. Guy I bought it off didn't do the swap so I have very little information. The bearings, and rotors are pretty bad due to the truck sitting for years so I want to put an all new set up on it since I'm planning on doing ALOT of truck and motor upgrades. Just pulled all the suspension. Got a 2" drop axle from Sid and a posies front and rear 3" kit also from Sid. Noticed the condition of my bearings and rotors when I pulled the front axle.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
You might be better off going with this kit. Time and money ahead. You'll know exactly what you have and that it's correct for your application.

1948-1956 Ford Half Ton Deluxe Disc Brake Kit, 5 x 5-1/2 Inch - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Old 05-13-2015, 10:54 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Your bearings should have brand and part# stamped on them, which can be cross referenced by any decent auto parts store (try local NAPA or Motor Bearing and Parts store rather than big box stores) same with the seals. The bearings and seals are going to be off the shelf industry standard parts (unless the kit came from a Hoffman Group company then all bets are off ) Unless they have been sitting in water or mud, even heavily surface rusted (not flaking) rotors can be cleaned up with some 400 grit sandpaper if light or turned by an automotive machine shop, altho disks are relatively inexpensive these days. Take them to that same NAPA or MB&P store and see if they can help you id and replace them. If they really are LV parts you might be better off replacing the whole thing, those parts may be hard to come by.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with Wayne. I put the Speedway kit on my F2 (same axle) and it was great except that they forgot to chamfer the hub to install the inner seal. I ruined 2 seals before I realized what was wrong. Still it is a good kit. Note that in the instructions they tell you that they use F100 rotors and Impala calipers: http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf...structions.pdf.