Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:08 PM
fordexception
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Kit Swap Skyjacker Block for ProComp All Spring - Tech Install Help

What I have:
2003 Diesel Excursion
skyjacker 6" lift with blocks had bad axle wrap / drive train vibration at 15 and tire rub with a hard start. (truth be told bump stops were missing as well) The main reason i was going all spring was because I plan on doing some towing of a 20' enclosed car trailer.

What I'm doing:

I removing the skyjacker 6" block lift kit and am attempting to install ProComp 6" all spring lift in rear.

Today I got old springs and blocks out and new springs set on the perch.

Everything was going smooth until it came time to install the u bolt spring retainer plate that goes on top of the springs. The hole in the retainer plate is supposed to fit over the nut that holds the spring pack together. However, the diameter of the hold is smaller than the ~ 5/8" nut on the procomp spring pack. The retainer fit just fine over the skyjacker spring pack retainer nut.

1) does the leaf spring "snubber block" get installed with the all spring lift?
in otherwords what's the correct order of things:
A ) Axle, on axle then spring then retainer plate
B) Axle, Snubber Block, Spring, Retainer plate

2) what am i doing wrong with the spring plate?

3) Am I going in the right direction uninstalling Skyjacker and going all spring ProComp to improve towing and reduce axle wrap?

ProComp 6" lift springs. Spring retainer plate and spring pack nut.

skyjacker 6" lift springs

Skyjacker 6" lift springs

Old 05-10-2015, 08:46 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
It looks like you will either need to round off that centering bolt's nut enough to fit the plate hole or hog out the hole enough to fit that bigger nut.
Also be sure to rotate that plate 90 degrees before bolting things up, it's sideways in the pics.
Proper order of parts from the bottom is axle, spacer block with bump stop arm, spring pack then top plate. If those springs are designed as an "all spring" lift set I'm not sure if the spacer block with the bump stop arm is supposed to be used, it may turn the setup into an 8" lift instead of 6".
I don't know what the specs are for your new springs so I have no idea how they will with your towing chores, but I would assume they would be better than a super tall block.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
fordexception
New User
Thanks for the reply.

The new pro comp springs were ordered from 4 wheel parts

Pro Comp Suspension Part 23311 - 6 Inch Rear Leaf Spring - Fits 79-99 Fseries and Bronco - 4 Wheel Parts

Roger that on the retainer plate orientation. I just slapped it up there like that for pictures.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:08 PM
fordexception
New User
Originally Posted by fordexception
Thanks for the reply.

The new pro comp springs were ordered from 4 wheel parts

Pro Comp Suspension Part 23311 - 6 Inch Rear Leaf Spring - Fits 79-99 Fseries and Bronco - 4 Wheel Parts

Roger that on the retainer plate orientation. I just slapped it up there like that for pictures.

I called procomp they said the bump stop block should stay on to achieve 6 inch lift. Also hogging out the u bolt retainer was the way to go. Pics to come.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:16 PM
fordexception
New User
Apparently my ex is "Special" in the eyes of 4 wheel parts / procomp

{Rant}
The U bolt kit 4 wheel parts sent me with my spring pack doesn't fit around the axle housing and they insist it should. If I knock the ubolt into place the legs are spread like a prom date. Each leg is spring like 15 degrees off of 90. It doesn't take an engineering degree to tell that the inner diameter of the U bolt is too narrow.

The ones I took off have a 3 5/8" Inner Diameter.
The ones they sent have a 3 1/4" Inner Diameter

I call to rectify and 4 wheel parts transfers me to Pro-Comp (in house) to get the "right" U bolts. On the pro-comp line I keep getting asked if my Excursion is a Dually and told that the U bolts are correct.

Rinse and repeat a disconnect from pro comp call 4 wheel parts back several times until I find out that ProComp is a 4wheel parts house brand.

Over 2 grand in parts at 4-wheel parts in a months time and more to go. I'm ready to shop elsewhere. Regretting having anything pro-comp on my truck. Hopefully the ride of full spring lift redeems itself.

I am now questioning whether the sales guy from 4 wheel parts/ procomp that stated the the 2" bump stop block stays in the setup...

Man I want to get the tow rig done so I can start working on the race car.
{/Rant}

Someone on the ford truck forums mentioned Husky Spring - Home

I will give husky a call tomorrow.
From research and measuring I think I'm looking for a 5/8 " X 3 5/8 " X 13 1/2 " Round Bend U bolt.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Suzuki357
Junior User
thats interesting i used the procomp 22415 rear leaf spring on my X and without the factory block it gave me 4" of lift. the retaining retaining plate also fit perfectly over the nut on the leaf pack. if youre keeping the stock block to achieve the 6" lift they should have sold you the 22415

Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do they recommend the same ubolts for f250 as they do excursion? Even 350 should use same ubolts afaik. Tell them your excursion is a dually and see what they send you.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM
fordexception
New User
Called Husky Springs. They rock. Should have gone there for everything first.

Is it OK to run the spring pack without the bump stop block? I would think with 6 inch spring, if they in fact are 6 inches, that if a bump stop did limit out then they are bigger issues.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:23 AM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Off topic, but if I ever get the coin to spare on suspension, I am going this route:

https://full-traction.com/detail.php...&p=1533&n=NULL

Sorry about your troubles with 4WP.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Suzuki357
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordexception
Called Husky Springs. They rock. Should have gone there for everything first.

Is it OK to run the sprung pack without the bump stop block? I would think with 6 inch spring, if they in fact are 6 inches, that if a bump stop did limit out then they are bigger issues.
Ive had no issues driving and towing without the bump stop. Once you're lifted that thing is pretty useless

Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suzuki357
Ive had no issues driving and towing without the bump stop. Once you're lifted that thing is pretty useless

OP: "bump stop BLOCK"

The closer to the axel the spring pack is, THE MORE BETTER. However, you need to know what pro-comp had in mind JUST for the lift measurement factor.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to get a ruff idea, Take the X spring & a Pro spring, flip them so the eyes are on a flat level surface, slap them together & measure the mounting surface height difference. That will get you close to the lift height BUT YOU NEED TO ADD IN the 2" block for the stocker...

PS: And YES your X is SPECIAL Dang good lookin truck

Old 05-15-2015, 11:14 AM
ocboat
Senior User
I agree with Suzuki357. They should have sold you the 22415. That spring pack plus the block should give you a 6" lift. I use them without the block for a 4" lift in the rear with no fitment issues.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 PM
fordexception
New User
I'm half way there!

The Pro Comp Suspension Part 23311 - 6 Inch Rear Leaf Spring - is on the truck without the "Bump Stop Block".

The truck sits level front to back and side to side.

Tomorrow I'll be working on swapping out the right side springs.

Can't wait to see how this thing rides. Hopefully my axle wrap is fixed a little bit.

My experience with Husky Springs was awesome by the way!! Great service. Reasonable prices and they sent the right parts the first time.

Thanks to all who have helped so far. I used the come-a-long trick to chain the front axle and pull the rear axle in to align the axle to the spring.

I'll post some pictures when it's done and a review about the axle wrap.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 AM
fordexception
New User
I'll post some pictures when it's done and a review about the axle wrap.
Job complete...

Axle wrap mostly gone. 95 percent...

With the new bilstein shocks this thing rides pretty well. Going to get a drop hitch today and make a test pull with the 20 foot enclosed trailer to see if trac bars are necessary or not.

I got a PM asking about ubolts. The u bolt I used was A 5/8th inch thread round u bolt with a 15/16 inch nut. 3.5 inch diameter u bolt 9.5 inches long. Napa part number 650-4053. The 9.5 inch bolt gives about 2.75 inches of thread above the spring pack retainer plate. Perfect amount to use a socket to get the nut on. The ones I ordered from husky springs were nice but I ordered them too long.

Looking towards the front.

Torqued u bolts.

Stance

Nice and level

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Swap Skyjacker Block for ProComp All Spring - Tech Install Help