Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

actual licensed mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok now most if not all of you agree that the being ASE certified ain't with the the paper its printed on. This might be a loaded question but here goes. What does it take to be a good mechanic?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:21 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
knowing how to diagnose properly.
today you will more often run into a parts changer than a diagnostic technician.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:51 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
knowing how to diagnose properly.
today you will more often run into a parts changer than a diagnostic technician.
X2 , and there's no substitute for experience.

And I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it's not worth the paper it's printed on but it isn't a true indication of the holders ability any more than Carfax is a true undisputed indicator of a vehicles history.

It can help you get a job, better pay, etc., basically showing that you have some initiative. A better mechanic .....no.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
88F15095F150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had all the ASE certs besides engine repair and engine performance before I decided to get out of the automotive industry and become an electrician instead. Didn't want my livelihood to spoil my hobby. Not to say everyone feels that way, it just took the fun out of it for me dealing with ungrateful customers and people who thought you were a low life for a working on cars for a living.

PS-Don't call an auto technician a "mechanic." Not many find the term very endearing.

I agree with the other guys about what it takes to be a good tech, but I think one of the most important things is having a good grasp about how whatever system youre working on operates. Anyone can change a part, but if you really know how a certain system operates you will have the edge when it comes to diagnosing unusual problems or rare issues. I worked on Toyotas which are very predictable when it comes to certain things failing, but occasionally you'd get something that you would need to think outside the box for and make sure you understood what is going on in that system or area of the vehicle. Don't just think because you can do a brake job in a half hour you will be able to diagnose a nightmare electrical issue. I worked with a few guys who could do full Front brake overhauls in under an hour, but scratched their heads at MIL lights on 2002 camrys.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I was ASE-certified (no such thing as an ASE license) back when it was called NIASE. It was just something to put on your toolbox to make you look good to the customer, except we did not let customers in the shop. That was in the early-80s. I decided I needed an office job due to the cold in the winter months, so I went back to school for a full degree and have been sitting behind a computer for 30 years. I find working on cars and trucks much more enjoyable when I am not making my living at it.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, my personal gauge is- Can I stop in while he is working, and talk cars as he works... If the answer is no, then I find another mechanic. If the mechanic is TOO centered on the work, then they are overcompensating for their lack of skills... This applies to small shops- dealers I don't go to simply because they charge too damn much! If I can go in,("insurance" sign be damned) and chat cars, engines, etc, I know I can tell what he knows, and find out neat stuff about their background. One of my favorite mechanics was one my mom found for her car- I could go in, talk cars, talk about his old race cars, etc for hours- and he always got the work out the door quickly, efficiently, and on time... If he was particularly heavy, I understood: I even offered to help at times... Unfortunately, he passed away from cancer very shortly after retiring to Florida. He hadn't been quite the same after his youngest son was killed in an accident.

If I can't go into the shop and see them working on my vehicle, NO. That is a definite deal killer. I had one mechanic I stopped using because every time he'd fix one problem, another would crop up in short order...

As a 30+ year hobbyist and semi-pro mechanic, I have some VERY stringent qualifiers I look at... Hence I do about 95 % of my own work.

I'd take a car to Cooter or Gomer Pyle before Mr. Goodwrench any day. (Or, If I could get her, Marisa Tomei's character in "My Cousin Vinnie")

Scott