6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 F350 Super Duty JL Audio Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:05 AM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F350 Super Duty JL Audio Aftermarket Stereo Installation

Had a couple requests to post this in its own thread to make it easier for folks to find and use as reference...so here you go:

Just completed an entertainment system upgrade. Here is an illustrated breakdown of the installation...

Looked around for rear seat removal explainers, but couldn't find much, so ended up just figuring it out myself...wasn't too tough, but thought it might be helpful for others to post a step-by-step with an image...

How to remove the rear seat in a 2015 Ford F350 SuperCrew:
1) Remove the underseat storage bins with a 1/2-inch socket...there are 6 bolts in the bins themselves (2 are hidden under the loose separator). Be sure to unplug the 12v accessory harness.
2) Lift the seat cushions and remove the 3 forward bolts with a 3/4-inch socket.
3) With the seat cushions partially lifted, locate the rear mounting nuts...you can see these looking from the front. Use a 3/4-inch wrench to remove these...two on the passenger's side, one driver's side.
4) Fold the driver's side seat-back forward and remove the two seat belt Torx bolts with a T50 star to release the middle seat belt assembly.
5) The seat now comes apart in two pieces. Remove the single passenger side portion first by lifting slightly and pulling out towards the door, wiggling the seat off the joining bracket.
6) Lift the remaining double-seat driver's side out of the truck, preferably with the assistance of a second person to "walk it out."

Here's an image showing seat-mount bolts and seat belt Torx locations to be removed:

Removed rear seat, factory sub, mounted jack/tools, rear-wall padding and lifted carpet. Ready for Dynamat and install:

Dynamat installed. For those who aren't familiar...Dynamat is a sound deadening thermal barrier. This product is used extensively in the car audio industry to eliminate road/engine/exhaust noise, drone and rattling. It also acts as an engine/exhaust thermal barrier. Gives that "luxury car" quiet interior.

Plenty of room in the side-rail channels to run cables.

JL recommends 4-gauge wiring. Important to use quality connections with this type of equipment. Decided on Stinger Pro and took a set of well-insulated THX-rated RCA's from my home theater.

Ran power with a 50-amp mini-ANL fuse from the driver's side battery:

Remote/turn-on lead is made easy in the Super Duty...there is a large bunch of capped-off wiring on the driver's side just behind the emergency brake pedal. These are made to run accessories...found the WH/BU labeled RUN/ACC for the processor and amp lead...you see it here pulled out of the bunch:

No visual change to the factory mount separates speaker locations, except for swapping out of the Sony logo for JL Audio Replaced the OEM 6x8 Sony speakers and tweeters with a set of JL Audio C2-650, in both factory front and rear locations, connected with OEM compatible harnesses to the factory amp...which has plenty of power to run these. JL's are efficient and produce great sound quality without the need for another amp. Unless you are comfortable with custom work, I would recommend going with OEM-sized 5x7 or 6x8 though...the JL's are listed as 6.5" but are actually 6.75" and require some mods to install even with Scosche adapters.

Ran the JL Audio RBC-1 control **** for active sub-amp control from the driver's seat. Mounted in that little random open dash compartment to the right of the steering column...this allows adjustment on the fly based on music choice, or you can turn the sub off completely, leaving the rest of the entertainment system intact.

If you don't change out and/or bypass the factory navigation head unit, then you must keep the factory Sony amp. Everything seems to run through this unit for the OEM stereo system...there are literally ~40 wires running in/out of this unit...never seen anything like it on an amp. And none of the speakers work if you disconnect it. For signal to the new sub, used 2 of the 4 factory sub speaker wires (factory sub is a dual voice coil configuration) going into the Audio Control line-out converter. No factory wiring harnesses were modified or cut for any of this installation, except for these two wires which were simply redirected from their original clip into the LC2i.

As we all know, space it tight behind the rear seat. I built a custom amp rack to hold the stock Sony amp, Audio Control LC2i and JL mono-amp. Tolerances were literally millimeters. Had to shape the rack around the power rear-window motor and space everything out precisely, but it all fit perfectly. Used an over-sized L-bracket to mount the amp rack to the factory jack base, which I was able to keep in it's original location.

Here are a couple shots installed and ready to rock...The 2-ohm SVC JL sub runs the amp at it's intended rated 2-ohm 500-watt RMS load.

And here we are with the seats back in. Took the opportunity to brush a bit of anti-seize on the through-floor seat bolts (while I was at it, rolled under the truck and did the same on the 4 DPF-mounted EGT sensors!).

Used two small stainless steel L-brackets to secure the subwoofer box in place through existing holes, just to make sure nothing shifts around during offroad driving.

Quite happy with the final results. Didn't have to sacrifice any under rear seat or center console storage and didn't break the bank. Sound is tight and accurate. With equal factory power, the JL component separates are crisp, clear, dynamic and a significant improvement over the OEM Sony speakers. With all the panels and carpet back in and seats raised in place...the mono amp's power is properly absorbed and the right quantity of bass fill can be dialed in via the dash control ****. Plays well with all types and genres of music. Walked the entire truck and can't find any noticeable rattling from the low-end, save for the air-release flaps on the rear cab vent directly behind the subwoofer, which cannot be heard from inside.

Installed component list and cost recap:
JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System (2 sets)
Retail: $249 each set
Paid: $150 each set

JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 13.5" Thin-Line Series Subwoofer
Retail: $699
Paid:$445

JL Audio JX500/1D 500W Mono Class D Sub Amp
Retail: $299
Paid: $165

JL Audio RBC-1 Remote Bass Control
Retail: $40
Paid: $31

AudioControl LC2i 2-Channel Line Out Converter
Retail: $99
Paid $79

Stinger SK4641 4 Gauge 4000 Series Car Audio Amplifier Installation Kit
Retail: $125
Paid: $58

Dynamat Xtreme 12 sqft Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener (4 packs)
Retail: $400
Paid: $236

SuperCrewSound Custom JL Audio 13" TW5 Subwoofer Box with black carpet, gold banana-plug speaker terminal upgrade and acoustic stuffing: $214
JL Audio SGR-13 speaker grille: $26
20 ft Stinger Pro 12-gauge speaker wire: $20
Amp rack and other misc materials (wood, carpet, brackets, stainless screws, etc): $50
Installation and custom work: $0

Custom Auto shop quote for similar install: $10,098
Retail component and materials cost: $2470
DIY budget $1500
Total final actual cost installed: $1624

Not too shabby...

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very very nice!

Gotta love the do it yourself-ers.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:13 AM
BIGDZL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Very very nice!

Gotta love the do it yourself-ers.
Thanks much--this was an enjoyable project. Hoping this post might assist others wanting to take on their own installs.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Bcracn
New User
Sub box

I would like to recreate this set up in my 2015 F350. Do you by chance have the dimensions for your sub box? I assume you made it yourself..

Old 04-20-2016, 05:38 AM
rays250
Freshman User
Very nice and clean.. Good Job.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
Great job! I remember seeing this post back when you did it, but had since forgotten. I use JL in all my installs as well. Just did one of their slim line units in my wife's SUV as was absolutely blown away with what they can do with such a small space. Her OEM HK system didn't need anything in the way of door speakers but the factory subs were useless. I'll likely be doing something similar to your build in my 2017. I usually try and do a Stealthbox but the one they've been using in the SD's for years kills the storage in your center console which I never liked. You're custom build is much better.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 AM
clintongreen22
New User
Not sure if this thread is still active, But I'm looking for some pointers on installing a similar set up but with the Lc7i. I'm not sure about the" summing" of channels etc. truck is a 2015 platinum with the factory amp and sub. i have a mono amp to power my aftermarket sub and also a 4 channel to power the component speakers/tweeters.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:19 AM
clintongreen22
New User
also wondering how you spliced into the wires from the stock sony amp. did you just run them off the output from there into the LC then to the amp and to the speaker? am i able to run all 3 channels , channel 1 for front channel 2 for rear channel 3 for subs with this setup? i am hoping to keep the fade option within the head unit, thats why i purchased the lc7i over the lc2i. thanks.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
If you can wait a month or so, there will be a much better option which doesn't require signal summing because you can tap the full range CANBUS signal pre amp with a vehicle specific harness. No more correcting all the Sony/OEM amp's EQ, crossover points, and timing delays. It can also be tuned using BT and an app on your phone. Due out this spring. Rockford Fosgate® -

Old 01-21-2017, 06:19 PM
clintongreen22
New User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
If you can wait a month or so, there will be a much better option which doesn't require signal summing because you can tap the full range CANBUS signal pre amp with a vehicle specific harness. No more correcting all the Sony/OEM amp's EQ, crossover points, and timing delays. It can also be tuned using BT and an app on your phone. Due out this spring. Rockford Fosgate® -

i ended up going with a hertz h8 DSP. Fair bit more money but much easier install and tuning . Do you happen to know if the stock speakers with the factory upgraded speakers are full range ?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
This is what I am waiting for. In the interim I have replaced all speakers with Polk audio db series. Rear door tweeters to be updated yet. I did disconnect center dash speaker improved imaging. Best I think is Polk silk tweeters in the door pods. Pretty happy with those, still excited for the dsr1

Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
The audio from the head unit is full scale analog audio w/o any processing. Looks like the RF unit interprets the commands on the bus (volume, fader, mute, ect) like the factory amp. Hope the quality is better than the 3Sixty.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:17 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Awesome job. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
BIGDZL this is a beautiful setup you have here! I have the same JL pancake 13.5" sub sitting in my basement. I bought it with the under seat box from JL and had the complete install on my 2009 F250. I didn't want to loose the under seat storage so I never installed any of my old gear into my truck. Where did you get that behind the seat box?

Again, beautiful install!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Try this link, at the price one is hard pressed to round up materials cheaper.

Ford F-250/F-350 Supercrew Cab 08-16 JL Audio TW13.5 BTS Subwoofer Box

Quick Reply: 2015 F350 Super Duty JL Audio Aftermarket Stereo Installation