Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Backup Cameras thread

Guys - please take a look at this thread and post any info you may have:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14654871

We can also post here, but I would think that since it is truck specific (2011+ Super Duties) I posted it in that forum...

Mods if you feel you need to move the threads, please feel free....

Thanks guys..

Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I think it is fine for here. I think an accessory camera for the rear of the 5er is a good idea.

Not sure how you would tie something like that into an existing camera if you have the factory version.

But, on the other hand, The ford raptor has front and rear cameras on it now.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I for one more would like a 5er rear mounted camera. I don't need one to hitch as I can see both the hitch and pin with the rear view mirror, only to back the trailer. So far on the current trip could have used it twice - once on the Lake Champlain ferry when I overhung the boat's stern while maneuvering my way off and again in New Brunswick when I made a wrong turn and did some agricultural 'work' turning around, gouging the bumper's paint (crappy GPS and grist for a whine thread !!!!!!). Yes, it would be nice to have the image in the same screen, but my '11 truck doesn't have the Sync screen/system so it's in a tiny, virtually useless 2"x2" image in the mirror.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:25 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Anybody have expereince with the Swift Hitch cameras?
http://www.amazon.ca/Swift-Hitch-SH02-Portable-Wireless/dp/B004BFBK2W http://www.amazon.ca/Swift-Hitch-SH02-Portable-Wireless/dp/B004BFBK2W
My truck doesn't have the camera, and I was thinking this would be handy to slap on when I'm hitching up, then I can put it on the rear bumper of the trailer when I'm backing into my camping sites. Could save me running into trees.

I know there are dozens of ebay ones that you can wire in, but I'm not sure I feel like going to the effort when I don't know how long I'll be driving this truck. I don't really feel like adding a video screen in my cab either.

Aside from it being a bit agricultural, what do you guy think?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Anybody have expereince with the Swift Hitch cameras?
http://www.amazon.ca/Swift-Hitch-SH0.../dp/B004BFBK2W
My truck doesn't have the camera, and I was thinking this would be handy to slap on when I'm hitching up, then I can put it on the rear bumper of the trailer when I'm backing into my camping sites. Could save me running into trees.

I know there are dozens of ebay ones that you can wire in, but I'm not sure I feel like going to the effort when I don't know how long I'll be driving this truck. I don't really feel like adding a video screen in my cab either.

Aside from it being a bit agricultural, what do you guy think?

Since you do not leave it in place, it really doesn't matter what it looks like, only if it is functional. I can't seem to locate the range of the wireless signal it uses. Back of my trailer to driver's seat is about 50' and some wireless devices are worthless over about 15'. If I could find out, I think I might really be interested in this. U.S. prices are quite a bit less, even accounting for the currency exchange rate.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
I seem to recall that it's rated to 300' range. It's intended for industrial and agriculture applications, so I assume it'll work on longer rigs. I have heard of some folks having trouble with bluetooth interference, but that apparently goes away if you shut bluetooth off.
Things in Canada are always more expensive, no matter what the exchange rate. I think of it as a tax on awesomeness.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Small update, I ended up ordering the Swift Hitch model SH02D. Apparently this "digital" model doesn't have issues with bluetooth or Wifi signals, so it gas clearer transmission.

Quite a gong show trying to find someone who doesn't rape us Canadians on shipping, ended up ordering straight from Swift Hitch. Hope it comes in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't have much in the way of customs fees tacked on when it arrives. I'll post a review when I get a chance to use it.