Lets see those 5th wheels - Page 126 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Lets see those 5th wheels

Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Traildust
Senior User
Traildust is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Traildust is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Trailer was only three months old here and I was practicing backing the new 5ver. I soon learned that 5th. wheels don't back like a Travel Trailer.

I must have learned something because I was told by camp host at this CG this particular site is one he see's a lot of people give up on. I did manage to get it on second attempt.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Traildust, that looks like a really nice 5th wheel! We have a 28ft Heartland which is our 3rd trailer and 2nd 5th wheel. We absolutely love the ability to fit it into the smallest of spots.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to allPaw's 150 Lariat is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
Over the past week and a half - Before and After Pics:

14 F250 / 18 F350 Dually
08 32' 10K Jayco w/ 2 slides / 17 42' 16K BigHorn w/5 slides

She wanted a second AC unit, I wanted a King mattress.

The new rig looks great...congrats!!

Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Baldicon
Senior User
Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.Baldicon has a good reputation on FTE.
That is some transformation there!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Drisean
Junior User
Drisean is starting off with a positive reputation.
What a nice upgrade!

Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Army RET
Elder User
Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.
Thank you, y'all. I didn't believe my credit was that good - but apparently they don't much care.
Truck financed for 6 years/ Bighorn financed for 10 years. As long as my finances allow I will be pre-paying a bit extra monthly.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:26 PM
kla94
Postmaster
kla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputation
Ok guys, looking for a little advice. I have an older Atwood water heater that I have replaced the dsi solenoid valve in. It needs replaced again. It lets gas leak through it when it's off. I was just wandering if there's anything I can do to extend the life of it. I figured that the failure is due to not using it but once a year now...
Thanks guys.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Sailor_Roy
Montana Chapter LDR
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by kla94 View Post
Ok guys, looking for a little advice. I have an older Atwood water heater that I have replaced the dsi solenoid valve in. It needs replaced again. It lets gas leak through it when it's off. I was just wandering if there's anything I can do to extend the life of it. I figured that the failure is due to not using it but once a year now...
Thanks guys.
I have never experienced that problem....... I am no help.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I have not seen a leaking valve one time on anything. The industry bends over backwards trying to insure that anything with gas fails or defaults to the closed side. Has anything been done or added to your gas line at the tanks or anywhere else in any way?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM
kla94
Postmaster
kla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputationkla94 has a superb reputation
Nothing has been added. It leaks very little. You can smell gas every now and then. If you put a lighter to the pipe, it will barely ignite.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:09 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I am sure you know this, but flame is never used to detect leaks. A bubble solution of water and detergent should be used. Since propane carries on air, using a flame, besides being dangerous is not diagnostically useful in locating a leak. I would focus on connections and coupling on the supply side of the valve. A leak on the downside could obviously only come from the valve. I would be thinking a nicked flare would be a potential culprit as would a fitting screwed into the valve without teflon.

I am also assuming you did not see any deposit in the line when you disconnected it to install the new valve. As I said, I have never seen the situation your are describing over the installation of probably hundreds of gas valves so this one has me curious.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM
kla94
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
I am sure you know this, but flame is never used to detect leaks. A bubble solution of water and detergent should be used. Since propane carries on air, using a flame, besides being dangerous is not diagnostically useful in locating a leak. I would focus on connections and coupling on the supply side of the valve. A leak on the downside could obviously only come from the valve. I would be thinking a nicked flare would be a potential culprit as would a fitting screwed into the valve without teflon.

I am also assuming you did not see any deposit in the line when you disconnected it to install the new valve. As I said, I have never seen the situation your are describing over the installation of probably hundreds of gas valves so this one has me curious.
​​​​​​
It's as if the solenoid isn't shutting completely. It still fires and operates like it's supposed to, other than letting a very small amount of gas through. It's definitely coming through the valve.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
I am clueless. Never seen it, never heard of it. Only option is to replace the valve.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 PM
kla94
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
I am clueless. Never seen it, never heard of it. Only option is to replace the valve.
When it happened the first time, I done some internet investigations and found out to replace it. I was just wandering if there's anything I can do to extend the life of the solenoid. My guess is that the camper only gets used once a year now and lack of use may be the problem. It's got me, so I figured that I would ask here. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:52 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Obviously a leaking solenoid is a safety issue, but I have never run across one in any appliance. The manufacturers' liability on those things is horrendous so they bend over backwards to make sure they fail closed rather than open. You might call and ask them what they think, but I bet they just tell you to replace it or that you are wrong and it is not the valve. Whenever I have called tech support about something they are not familiar with, they basically have blown me off or told me they test all that stuff and it can't happen.

You can chatter the valve with a jumper to see if that forces it closed, but I don't know whether than will solve your issue or not and if I would working on your rig I would replace it just to protect myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets see those 5th wheels

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.