The Home of the Monsters - Page 22 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

The Home of the Monsters

Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy View Post
Jim.......Is it long enough.....

Have fun .........
I think so but let me ask her to be sure...

Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by HDBiker67 View Post
I think so but let me ask her to be sure...
You are BAD........

Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 AM
MODSSO
Freshman User
MODSSO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'15 F350 DRW & XLR '17 Thunderbolt 422 45' long & 21k loaded

Old 10-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Another nice XLR! The combo looks great...

Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 AM
defekticon
Senior User
defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
40 Footer. Anyone ever been stopped for being over length? I've never measured but it's gotta be close.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
MODSSO
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Another nice XLR! The combo looks great...
Thanks, I wanted a smaller one but the wife wanted.....well you see who won. And of course it was larger than the 250 could handle safely so had to get a new truck also. Damn gotta hate that LOL

Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
That 3650# pin weight is a bit much for a 250 for sure. Mine is almost 1k less keeping me in SRW territory.

As to the length thing, I'm likely over but they never check RV's.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:46 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
40 Footer. Anyone ever been stopped for being over length? I've never measured but it's gotta be close.
It depends on which state you're in as it varies by state. I think Wyoming is one of the most generous with an 85' max length.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You'll be fine, truck is 22' but the king pin is about 4' into the bed so some quick math puts your length @ about 58', well under the max. Keep on truckin!
​​​​​​

Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM
defekticon
Senior User
defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
It depends on which state you're in as it varies by state. I think Wyoming is one of the most generous with an 85' max length.
I saw more people triple towing a flatbed aluminum trailer with a UTV behind their 40+ TH with a late model 3/4 ton truck this summer then I saw straight 5th wheels. From Wisconsin to Wyoming into Utah. First time seeing stuff like that.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
MODSSO
Freshman User
I saw more people triple towing a flatbed aluminum trailer with a UTV behind their 40+ TH with a late model 3/4 ton truck this summer then I saw straight 5th wheels. From Wisconsin to Wyoming into Utah. First time seeing stuff like that.

Maybe I'm missing something but I thought the purpose of a TH was to put the toy inside the hauler

Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Originally Posted by MODSSO View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought the purpose of a TH was to put the toy inside the hauler
I can think of a few reasons. Lifted/Modified UTV's don't fit in most garages (Likely bought the trailer, THEN bought the UTV and made a mistake). Or they legitimately have four more ATV's in the garage.

I was thinking it might be useful just so I didn't have to pull the toys out to get the beds down for the kids. Sort of a PITA... Although I'm going to add a pit-bull restraint system for my bikes to alleviate that problem.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
MODSSO
Freshman User
I can think of a few reasons. Lifted/Modified UTV's don't fit in most garages (Likely bought the trailer, THEN bought the UTV and made a mistake). Or they legitimately have four more ATV's in the garage.

I was thinking it might be useful just so I didn't have to pull the toys out to get the beds down for the kids. Sort of a PITA... Although I'm going to add a pit-bull restraint system for my bikes to alleviate that problem.
For a few years the size of UTVs outgrew the available THs. I few years back a had a custom 44' race trailer / TH built so we could haul two RZRs. The problem with most THs at that time was the ceiling height was too low. The TH mfgs finally starting wising up and Incorporated larger garages. Kids grew up and now it's only me and the wife and a single RZR. So when we decided to look for a new TH with more creature comforts the number one requirement was it had to fit our '17 XPT4. THE XLR 422 fit my requirements for garage space and the wife's requirements for comfort. Dang how things escalate quickly.

However, towing a 45' TH is a big enough PITA. Could not even imagine tacking on a trailer to the back. Personally I think it would be more of a herderance than benefit.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
The height of toy haulers is still a problem. When I was shopping for my TH a couple years ago I crossed a bunch off my list based on the entry height. A good number will fit my ATV (Polaris Ranger 900) until a second Happi-Jac bunk is added. I ended up buying a used TH that met my requirements and kept my wife from divorcing me (due to cost).

Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM
MODSSO
Freshman User

We have an upper bunk and a happyjac and I have about 1" to spare when I load the XPT4. Been considering removing the upper bunk as well never use it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Home of the Monsters

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.