The Home of the Monsters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you have six inches to spare! Seriously, I know how you feel, I had to pass under a 13' 6' overpass and my trailer is 13'1'. I was very uneasy.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm told that mine is 13'6" tall.. I need to get it on level ground and measure to be sure.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:34 AM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Rump - how tall is that trailer?

Roy - glad to hear the trip is going well! Not so much mud this time out eh? Oops! Don't wanna jinx it!!!!
I have to dig up the numbers. Off hand I do not remember, I did write them down a while ago and did keep them in the glove box.

The shop that did the lift MADE me remove the front AC unit on the trailer before leaving saying it will hit overpasses.....

Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,615 Likes on 1,641 Posts
I'm told that mine is 13'6" tall.. I need to get it on level ground and measure to be sure.
I did measure mine.......13'6" to top of A/C unit! NO 13'6" underpasses for me!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RumpityRump
I have to dig up the numbers. Off hand I do not remember, I did write them down a while ago and did keep them in the glove box.

The shop that did the lift MADE me remove the front AC unit on the trailer before leaving saying it will hit overpasses.....
So I just have to ask why? Why have the trailer lifted so high? Why have the truck lifted so high? Is it all for the look or do you really take them off road where you actually have to have all that ground clearance?

I've never owned a truck that was lifted, but have driven a couple owned by friends. Neither towed very well and one of them ate U-Joints ilke a kid popping M&M's

Old 06-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 99150
I did measure mine.......13'6" to top of A/C unit! NO 13'6" underpasses for me!
Makes me wonder too about those nunbers we see on bridges... How accurate are they? Is there a tolerance that's used? Say 3" or 6" ??

Old 06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
13' 6" is the max height of the vehicle to safely pass under the bridge. If a bridge says 13' 6" it's actually taller than that. It doesn't mean at 13' 7" you hit...

Remember that missing by an inch is the same as missing by a mile. I think of the subway, metro, and tube stops I've been in where the train comes flying up and past the platform with less than an inch clearance. If it clears...it clears...

Old 06-20-2015, 05:47 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
So I just have to ask why? Why have the trailer lifted so high? Why have the truck lifted so high? Is it all for the look or do you really take them off road where you actually have to have all that ground clearance?

I've never owned a truck that was lifted, but have driven a couple owned by friends. Neither towed very well and one of them ate U-Joints ilke a kid popping M&M's

First I had the truck.... Lifted it and drove her to work and back everyday.... daily driver and also on almost every trip to Glamis (about 10 to 15 times a year- No B.S.) I disconnect the trailer and my wife and a few other ladies take it cruzing around the dunes and such. No way "Only For Looks". Then I purchased the trailer...

Then I realized how bad the angle was ( I knew when I ordered the trailer that this was a something that I was going to need to addressed).

I already knew I wanted to flip the axles on the trailer for clearance for where I camp at (Glamis Sand Dunes) and I needed the trailer more level. One thing lead to another and ...... This kind of stuff is fun for me.... Kinda like a toy model build.
Would I do it again....No/Yes, but not where I live... Trees and stuff.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:58 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Makes me wonder too about those nunbers we see on bridges... How accurate are they? Is there a tolerance that's used? Say 3" or 6" ??
About 6+ years ago I posted that overpass height question on about 4 or more web sites...
Powerstroke.com
Glamis Dunes.com
and more.....

Out of many many replies I never did get a 100% answer. The most I got out of the answers were that the posted numbers were pretty much right. I got Cal Trans workers stating that when a freeway gets a new coat of whatever (cement, asphalt....) before the Final Inspector "signs off" on the road work that that they check to see that there is a new sign posted with the corrected height.
Lot's of answers but no 100% one answer.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:08 PM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
Also she drove like a train..... Crazy straight and very easy to drive. You would have to drive it on my usual 245 mile trip each way to see for your self. I had to prove it to a few of my fellow club members. They tested it out for themselves. A little under 17K, LOT"S of ballast on that trailer. I had 3, 65gal water tanks (about 195 gals of water+) and a 50 gal gas tank under the trailer, all custom installed. It drove like a dream... But the city trees in my neighborhood and some small streets were a BIG pain.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:18 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,615 Likes on 1,641 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
13' 6" is the max height of the vehicle to safely pass under the bridge. If a bridge says 13' 6" it's actually taller than that. It doesn't mean at 13' 7" you hit...

Remember that missing by an inch is the same as missing by a mile. I think of the subway, metro, and tube stops I've been in where the train comes flying up and past the platform with less than an inch clearance. If it clears...it clears...
However, I one time saw where a guy had the clearance.......until he hit a bump at just the wrong spot and wrong speed, and hit the bridge on the bounce! At a slower speed, he would have been fine!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Rump - Wow... That's a ton of work just to keep a lifted truck. The ones I am familiar with where bumper towing.
I don't think you'd get away with that high profile east of the Rockies... Some of the winds we have here would have you all over the highway..
Good luck with your rig!

Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
However, I one time saw where a guy had the clearance.......until he hit a bump at just the wrong spot and wrong speed, and hit the bridge on the bounce! At a slower speed, he would have been fine!

Yes, there is always that one in a million shot. There are a million of those type scenarios listed on forums. If I worried about them all I'd never leave the house...

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also saw that happen. If the height of the underpass is close. I slow down when going under it - just in case.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 AM
RumpityRump
More Turbo
""""Yes, there is always that one in a million shot. There are a million of those type scenarios listed on forums. If I worried about them all I'd never leave the house...""""

I could not agree with you more....

If I was only allowed to have fun in a way that other folks said that I was......

I would never leave home also....

My Dear old parents....(Bless their hearts) said I should....
1) Go to work.
2)Come home and rest.
3) Have dinner.
4) Shower and then go to bed.

They forgot about 4x4ing and Quads and Glamis Sand Dunes

Quick Reply: The Home of the Monsters