6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Reasons for frequent regens??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:21 PM
longrange1971
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons for frequent regens??

Hello all,
I have a 2012 F-250 CC with 36,600 on her. Within the past 3 weeks, I have noticed that my regens are occurring more frequently than they have been. I was going 200-350 Miles between regens. Now I'm seeing 100-150 miles between. I had the emissions re-flash done, but that has been some time ago and well before this started. since this has occurred I have changed the oil to Rotella T6, tried the Power service gray bottle fuel additive and Stanadyne warm weather performance additive with no change in the frequent regens. My driving style has not changed at all. I have not towed other than one time and am still seeing these frequent regens. Is there anything that would cause this to happen. I am using the dash command program on my IPhone and the regens generally begin between 2.7-2.8 g/l and finish between 1.2-1.4 g/l. I am not receiving any trouble codes. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In my opinion, since you only drive it about 10k per year it's just settling in to its typical duty cycle. I'd say it has taken about three years for the dpf to fill and find its balance point. In other words, your truck is now broken in, it's not new anymore.

If you towed more often and drove for many more miles/week it would probably go back to a longer interval.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Absent any oil growth or coolant loss then I would say the same thing.

when you drive it and you see the cleaning message, how long do you drive it? Perhaps maybe not long enough to complete?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it this has occurred rather suddenly and not gradually? I might not be overly alarmed yet but keep an eye on it and see if it drops even lower. The normal distance traveled between completed regeneration events 100-600 miles which is a wide range because there are so many variables that can affect how often the system needs to regenerate. So it suffices to say that your truck at this time is still operating within acceptable parameters.

To answer your question on a technical note, there are several things that can and will affect exhaust aftertreatment regeneration frequency.
  • Fuel Quality
  • Exhaust Restriction
  • Base Engine Concerns
  • The EGR System
  • MAF Sensor
  • EBP Sensor
  • Air intake system leaks
  • Turbocharger

Old 05-02-2015, 07:51 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, it's really hard to nail it down. My regen interval is between 600-1000 miles. Dragging a trailer 500 miles a couple times/week makes a drastic difference in the way my engine behaves compared to yours. My truck experiences a years worth of your driving in less than 2 months. It's not a big deal, my point here is to just give you an insight into where my opinion comes from, lotsa seat time.....

Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I over sometimes over 1K miles without an active regen...longer sometimes.

Towing heavy does that.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by longrange1971
Hello all,
I have a 2012 F-250 CC with 36,600 on her. Within the past 3 weeks, I have noticed that my regens are occurring more frequently than they have been. I was going 200-350 Miles between regens. Now I'm seeing 100-150 miles between. I had the emissions re-flash done, but that has been some time ago and well before this started. since this has occurred I have changed the oil to Rotella T6, tried the Power service gray bottle fuel additive and Stanadyne warm weather performance additive with no change in the frequent regens. My driving style has not changed at all. I have not towed other than one time and am still seeing these frequent regens. Is there anything that would cause this to happen. I am using the dash command program on my IPhone and the regens generally begin between 2.7-2.8 g/l and finish between 1.2-1.4 g/l. I am not receiving any trouble codes. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Most likely due to the weather warming up. I notice my regens frequency is less during the winter months and the most frequent during the summer months. My regen frequency has recently increased to due to the warmer weather.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
Regens are the process of bunring off soot. Take a look at how you are driving and see if you doing things that would create more soot. Basically more stop/start driving, more boost when accelerating.

On another point. I saw the "Drive to Clean" twice in 145,000 miles on my 2011 truck. I've already seen it twice in 4500 miles on my 2015 truck. The algorithim for figuring out when an active regen is needed is much different on my new truck.

Last weekend I drove 500 miles towing 4 horses and did not regen until almost home. Passive Regen from towing had the Soot % at .95 when it started the Active Regen and it regened down to .65 and took almost 30 miles Two days and 80 miles later running empty, it's telling me the filter is overloaded and drive to clean with the soot at 3.75% and in less than 5 miles I'm down to 1.25%.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Let us know if it gets worse. I hate getting stuck in the 100 mile regen loop - seems to take a long drive to get it back to the 250-300 mile regen mileage for me. I don't tow or pull like the others here so I rarely get a nice passive regen. As PH has pointed out running 70-80 on the highway not pulling still doesn't generate enough heat to passive regen. BUT doing it for a long period of time lets the active regen complete. Something my shorter 10-20 mile drives sometimes do not allow.

Fuel quality can be a big issue - I generally don't have that issue in Alaska, but I have had it driving around on vacation. BioDiesel in the summer when it is warm enough to run it, will cut down on regens. (Yes, even at the B20 level)

Old 05-03-2015, 07:12 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
when i used Rotella T6 i had frequent regens

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I may have an idea. Anyone think that wrapping the DPF with exhaust wrap to keep more heat in would keep the soot level down consistently? Just a thought, it may be an option or may wreak havoc with the EGT sensors.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:36 PM
travlingman
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Have a 2012 with 16.5k miles doing the same. Got re-flash and mileage went up for a few weeks. About 2 weeks ago it went into regen for over 20 minutes. Started truck next day and in regen for 15 more. Regens are now more frequent and longer. Mileage down 2 mpg from before flash, regens more numerous. If no improvement going back to dealer.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a thought. It might also be that winter blended fuel supplies have run out by now... if you live in an area where it is used. That might make a difference.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Regen

My truck is the same year and about the same millage. I have had the same issues for the last 20k Miles. I tow often and when towing it regens about every 600 miles. About half my miles are towing. When used as a street truck in san diego traffic I get about 120 between regen. I took it to the dealer twice and they found no problem. The only thing I have not tried is changing back to 30 weight oil. It still get better millage then my v10 so I turn I blind eye to it. What weight oil are you running?

So I have tried
Using Valvoline 5-40 oil. I read that it caused less regens
replaced all egt sensors.
Been to the dealer twice.
Check engine oil level.

If you find a answer please let me know.

The only true solution I know is to delete. This is not a easy answer for me.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Just a thought. It might also be that winter blended fuel supplies have run out by now... if you live in an area where it is used. That might make a difference.
Maybe it is that the more dense winter air creates a more complete burn of the fuel.

Quick Reply: Reasons for frequent regens??