Sponsored by:

Calling All DENVER-Area Excursions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:03 AM
SIX-O 4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling All DENVER-Area Excursions!

Due to our mutual patronage of this forum, I think we can all agree that Excursions are awesome.

The aftermarket, however, is quite lacking in one department for Excursions... custom-made roof racks. Enter the subject of this post.

I've long been an admirer of off road racks made by a company based out of Aurora, Colorado -- Gobi Racks...and I've always lamented the fact that we can't get a Gobi Stealth Rack for our Excursions.

Take a minute to check out their website:
The most amazingly cool Racks that should be built for Excursions

So, here's the pitch: I've spoken with the company, and they're willing to offer their racks for Excursions. The problem? They need to measure off of one of our trucks to set up jigs and produce them.

Gobi Racks is willing to offer a rack at cost for whomever is willing to let them use their truck for measurements
...the rest of us will pay retail. UNLESS, of course, we want to arrange a group buy .

So, what does everybody think? Who is willing to take the plunge and have the first awesome Excursion rack of its kind?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Technologiq
Elder User
I thought about this till I did the math

via I-80 E 14 h 58 min
1,040 miles 13 h 57 min without traffic

Your 2080.0 mile (3347.3 km) road trip will cost you about 529.45 in fuel, based on an efficiency of 11.00 miles per gallon and a total fuel volume of 189.09 gallons. (Your fuel cost per mile will be about 0.25.).

If I drive there the rack will need to be free to make it worth it

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Take a look here......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-8-weeks.html

Looks like their Hummer rack will fit with minor modifications.

By all accounts Gobi makes a nice product, but as a guy that lives in the rust belt, it leaves me wanting a rack made of aluminum so I'm not fighting the rust coming through at the welds and such a couple years down the road. For that reason I probably wouldn't buy a Gobi myself.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Denver and if this moves forward, I can let them use my 2000. Guessing I won't do the rack, any changes in height never would fit in the garage....

Let me know.

Steve

Old 04-29-2015, 11:41 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SIX-O 4x4
So, what does everybody think? Who is willing to take the plunge and have the first awesome Excursion rack of its kind?
Don't need...

Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM
SIX-O 4x4
New User
Originally Posted by zapola6
In Denver and if this moves forward, I can let them use my 2000. Guessing I won't do the rack, any changes in height never would fit in the garage....

Let me know.

Steve
Guys, thanks for all the replies! I PM'd Steve to see if we can get together on this one...if so, it could be awesome.

A quick thought on using the Hummer H2 rack:

If we get an Ex measured and jigged by Gobi, they will offer full-length racks with air deflectors. Aside from having a great custom-made look just for our Excursions, the seamless design of an air deflector in the front will go great with the Ex's lines while keeping the wind noise down.

That fella with the H2 rack installed on his Excursion did a great job fabbing it to work for his Ex. Unfortunately, some of us aren't as talented. I know there are a lot of guys like myself out there that would like to have a custom aftermarket option, and from what I've seen, Gobi is the best!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:04 PM
psycoreefer
Junior User
could help

I'm going on a family vacation and will be driving through Denver in late July/early August. I could stop and let them take measurements off my 2002 if no one else can get over there first.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 PM
InmatesRunThePlace
Junior User
What the hell, I'll do it. I'm in Denver and would be happy to help.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Due to our mutual patronage of this forum, I think we can all agree that Excursions are awesome.
Hmmm, up until you just registered, it really wasn't mutual. Not that it's a big deal, but by the way you post, you're obviously not new to forums and you own an Excursion, but it took till now for you to register here?

Your penance is you hafta post pics of your rig and tell us what mods you've already done to it.

Welcome to FTE.

Stewart

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 AM
SIX-O 4x4
New User
Originally Posted by InmatesRunThePlace
What the hell, I'll do it. I'm in Denver and would be happy to help.
Looks like we're rolling! Zapola6 has already made contact with Gobi Racks...they're discussing the logistics of handling everything.

InmatesRunthePlace, if Zapola ends up not being able to coordinate schedules with Gobi, I'd love to be able to reach out to you.

I'll keep everybody updated as the process unfolds. I've already broached the topic of a possible group buy with Gobi...will let everyone know what they say!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
I hope to see pics of the process if Gobi would be interested...... as well as the completed product.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM
zato666
Junior User
Looks like we're rolling! Zapola6 has already made contact with Gobi Racks...they're discussing the logistics of handling everything.

InmatesRunthePlace, if Zapola ends up not being able to coordinate schedules with Gobi, I'd love to be able to reach out to you.

I'll keep everybody updated as the process unfolds. I've already broached the topic of a possible group buy with Gobi...will let everyone know what they say!
I'm only 45 min north of Denver, let me if u need me to drive down

Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Prospector57
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in NW Denver and willing to see if my 05 could contribute

Old 05-22-2015, 03:22 PM
SIX-O 4x4
New User
A sincere "thanks!" to everybody who has offered up their EX. Right now, Zapola6 is still working with Gobi to see if they can get on the same page.

Gobi has indicated they would like the truck for three weeks or more to create a jig (this was a real surprise to me)-- he's trying to decide if he can live with that or not.

If that is a non-starter with Zapola6, I will see if there is anyway for Gobi to expedite the process...or perhaps there is someone in the Denver area who is willing to part with their EX for that period of time. Three weeks is pretty intense, so I know that's quite a commitment.

Will update again as soon as I know more...thanks all.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I would be all for it if I were closer, I would LOVE to get a rack!!! I really like that one with the ladder I saw posted a few days ago

Quick Reply: Calling All DENVER-Area Excursions!