1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Swapping 66 wiring into a 65?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM
ridealong34
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Swapping 66 wiring into a 65?

The engine, alternator, and turn signal wiring harness on my 65 Custom Cab is a jumbled mess. It also has the alternator voltage gage option which is another concern.

I have a 66 standard cab parts truck. I put a battery in it all the headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn, wiper washer, etc works.

How much of the wiring harness from the 66 standard cab (without volt gage option) will swap over into the 65 Custom Cab?

Also can anyone tell from the above photo of the 65 if the hazard lights switch is factory or aftermarket?

Thanks for your time, Jason.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you carefully checked the wiring harness in the '66 parts truck to make sure it's OK? If so, I don't see why you couldn't use it as it should be substantially the same, if not identical, to your '65 harness. One interesting anomaly between Standard Cab and Custom Cab instrument clusters is that the Standard Cab cluster has lights for both left and right turn signals, but the Custom Cab cluster has only one green light to service both. The dash wiring harness is the same, but the Custom Cab uses a combining pigtail to make one out of two. So you'll want to find and harvest that pigtail from your '65 harness. Likewise, the Amp Gauge wiring is not especially difficult, assuming your gauge is working correctly. It's pretty much a straight through shot, but you must be using heavy gauge wire. Again, if you can harvest that portion from your existing '65 wiring, including the junction block, so much the better. If you're worried about it you could always install a Volts Gauge in the hole, but of course it wouldn't match exactly. Wiring diagrams for our trucks only cost about $7 or so from several of our parts vendors. And if that's a hazard light switch, it's unlike any factory F100 switch I have seen, and it's not positioned where the factory or dealer would have normally installed it. Usually, but not always, they would be found in the most inboard switch position on the right side of the steering wheel. However, the lettering font looks similar so maybe that is a switch from some other model Ford truck. Someone will probably know. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 PM
ridealong34
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
SuperSabre,

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to post the question before I screwed up and accidently fried some wires! The worst part of my 65 harness is the headlight and turn signal harnesses on the engine bay side. It has been sliced and diced several times over. The 66 harness is nice and clean. Its too bad the 66 body is worn out...

Thanks, Jason

Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Checked source for reproduction harnesses which list the same p/n for both 65-66, imagine there may be minor differences. Purchased the reproduction alternator/engine harness many years ago for around $50. Suggest check the turnsignal cam mechanism from donor. If the donor does not have an 'alt' circuit it basically consist of a heavy gauge single wire. There are a few ways to run the 'alt' circuit, it took me some time before deciding to connect the gauge because not sure I wanted substantial amount of amps running to instrument cluster, also confused on how to connect the circuit; fortunately, FTE member emailed copy of one method, for me it became perfectly clear and had the gauge connected within an hour. To address my concerns about amps I decided to run a 50 amp fuse block purchased a local auto parts store for a few $, as opposed to running a junction block.

As member mentioned wiring manual runs around $7, I would post pic's from wiring manual but unfortunately can't read the wiring number color codes.