Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost Bad fuel mileage

Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Hopefully they get your truck figured out but I doubt it will get close to what you are hoping for. Hand calculate your mileage and I bet it's even worse than you think.

I have friends with the 3.5EB and not one of them comes close to the rated mileage on the window sticker. 14-19 is what they are rated for. Like mentioned earlier the higher mileage rating of 19 is achieved in a test that averages 48 mph.

At 75 mph plus the truck gets closer to 16mpg on the freeway. Ford used the regular cab truck with best gearing possible to make the mileage they post on the sticker. Some claim they get 20+ mpgs at 70+ mph.

The EB has plenty of torque and is super fun to drive but any hill and it's in boost. If it's in boost your mileage will really suffer. Wait until you tow if you think the mileage is bad now.
Agreed but the towing mileage won't be any worse than a comparably equipped 5.4L truck and you'll be able to tow much more.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:21 AM
VegasF150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
Hopefully they get your truck figured out but I doubt it will get close to what you are hoping for. Hand calculate your mileage and I bet it's even worse than you think.

I have friends with the 3.5EB and not one of them comes close to the rated mileage on the window sticker. 14-19 is what they are rated for. Like mentioned earlier the higher mileage rating of 19 is achieved in a test that averages 48 mph.

At 75 mph plus the truck gets closer to 16mpg on the freeway. Ford used the regular cab truck with best gearing possible to make the mileage they post on the sticker. Some claim they get 20+ mpgs at 70+ mph.

The EB has plenty of torque and is super fun to drive but any hill and it's in boost. If it's in boost your mileage will really suffer. Wait until you tow if you think the mileage is bad now.
You hit the nail dead on with your comments, especially about how the mileage will suffer when heading up any kind of hill. I started the day out getting 18mpgs around on flat ground the rest of my day consisted of free way speeds 70 plus and misc hills by the end of the day my fuel mileage is right back down to 12-13. Oh and I did pull a small enclosed single axle trailer that's about 10 feet long and got 10mpg's. My father just picked up his new Dodge 1500 diesel today, very interested to see how it's doing. Still pretty disapointed about all this, and if I knew then what I know now I probably would have made a different decision on getting this truck. My Chevys have a Eco mode maybe Ford needs to add that to turn the boost of to get fuel MPG's and then just switch it off or put it in sport mode when you just don't care about fuel savings. My opinion if anyone is reading this considering the new 2015 3.5L ecoboost F150 reconsider it. If you don't care about how much fuel you use get it and mod the turbos and go blow the doors of some sports cars!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 AM
B.Allen
New User
I picked mine up on Thursday and got 19.2 on the trip home from the dealer. It was a mix of stop and with a couple stretches of 55mph.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM
VegasF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by B.Allen
I picked mine up on Thursday and got 19.2 on the trip home from the dealer. It was a mix of stop and with a couple stretches of 55mph.
What model, motor, 4x4 or not and gearing does your truck have and how many miles have you put on it so far? Very curious to know.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM
B.Allen
New User
XLT, 4 door, 4wd, 5.5' bed, 3.5 Eco with 3.55 gears. Currently has 226 miles on it. We went yard saying this morning it dropped to 16.7 driving through neighborhoods...

Old 05-02-2015, 02:24 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
XLT, 4 door, 4wd, 5.5' bed, 3.5 Eco with 3.55 gears. Currently has 226 miles on it. We went yard saying this morning it dropped to 16.7 driving through neighborhoods...
Keep driving my guess is it will continue to tick down lower and lower each day. But please keep us informed.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:22 PM
B.Allen
New User
I hope not. It seems to be getting very similar mileage to the 2011 2wd ecoboost that I traded in.

I reset the trip before we left for dinner, and it jumped up to 22.5! I know it was a short trip, but still impressive to me.

Name:  C0C33A24-A335-4C96-8003-93E6AE8BBEE0_zpsf5mlwqth.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  900.2 KB

Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
I hope not. It seems to be getting very similar mileage to the 2011 2wd ecoboost that I traded in.

I reset the trip before we left for dinner, and it jumped up to 22.5! I know it was a short trip, but still impressive to me.

I've noticed short trips seem to make it jump up but by the end of the day no matter what driving style I use right back down. Instead top off your tank in the morning and reset trip gauge, drive all day then re top off the next morning and compare the fuel you used both manual calc vs the computer. I've done this several times over the past month and on average I get 12.5-13.5 with slight variations between manual calcs and the comp. I spent one day driving it more aggressive like I was in a hurry 5-10 over everyplace I went a I was getting 10mpg. Really like to know what you'll get if you do the calcs like I mentioned. I'm still convinced Ford designed the economy part of this motor with un realistic driving styles and didn't considered the massive amounts of fuel it uses when the turbos come on which in real life is pretty common.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been watching your thread. Like I said earlier, I got a new 2014 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. I've been watching my mpg too, I took a 300 miles trip yesterday and first 200 miles, I drove 78-79 mph all the way (the trip also had elevation changes up and down), I'm seeing 16.2 mpg. Somewhat lower than I hoped, so I slowed to 73-74 the last 100 miles, and it bumped up to 16.9. So apparently from this calculation, if I went 75 at speed limit the entire trip. Likely would be at 17.0 or slightly over. With my 3.73, I'm hoping to get 19-20 on the same trip after the actual break-in 5-10k later. So, guess patience is needed for our EcoBoost trucks. Yes, apparently your results are lower than it should be even at this early stage. Maybe you need re-flash on computer in truck. By the way, I'm going back home tomorrow with the same 300 miles up north. Will set it at 75 mph all the way and see.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:05 AM
VegasF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by dilas
I've been watching your thread. Like I said earlier, I got a new 2014 Ecoboost with 3.73 gears. I've been watching my mpg too, I took a 300 miles trip yesterday and first 200 miles, I drove 78-79 mph all the way (the trip also had elevation changes up and down), I'm seeing 16.2 mpg. Somewhat lower than I hoped, so I slowed to 73-74 the last 100 miles, and it bumped up to 16.9. So apparently from this calculation, if I went 75 at speed limit the entire trip. Likely would be at 17.0 or slightly over. With my 3.73, I'm hoping to get 19-20 on the same trip after the actual break-in 5-10k later. So, guess patience is needed for our EcoBoost trucks. Yes, apparently your results are lower than it should be even at this early stage. Maybe you need re-flash on computer in truck. By the way, I'm going back home tomorrow with the same 300 miles up north. Will set it at 75 mph all the way and see.
That's still pretty low even with 3.73's. The last time it was at the dealer I believe they did a reflash. I have also heard from other people that although seeing a increase in milage later on might happen it's possible you will never see a increase and it is what it is. Either way the ecojoke sucks for the Eco part.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:01 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Makes me a lil happy I got out of the '15 3.5 earlier this year......now I'll pick one up used and just enjoy the ecoboost ***** if you will cause obviously one shouldn't buy one and expect a fuel mizer.....think the brand new vs slightly used will make up for gas mpg inefficiency

Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, reporting short term mileage is worthless. It takes almost the entire tank of fuel before the numbers will converge on a stable average. Stop resetting the gauge and filling so often. And stop telling us numbers from your drive to McDonalds.

VegasF150, I agree that your mileage sounds terrible. I have a previous gen truck 3.5 Ecoboost and average 16 mpg mixed city/highway and 16.5-18 mpg freeway depending on headwind. The worst I ever got on a tank was 14 mpg in severe cold weather. I have 3.73 gears 4x4 and the largest, heaviest body style there was, and a 230 lb topper. My mileage is worse than most Ecoboost owners so I would expect your numbers to easily beat mine. Something is wrong with your truck.

I never got the magical increase at 10K miles. Been the same since day one.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM
TEC
New User
I do apologize, you asked for no comparisons to older trucks but the only real thing to change is weight and frankly right now you don't have many new trucks to compare to. So, just a few thoughts from my experience driving my Brother's truck and following my Brother in my truck along with a few other people I know that have ecoboost powered trucks. First thing, if your truck has 20" wheels you can just about kiss the idea of getting decent mileage good bye but especially so if your truck has 3.31 gears. That combination does not seem to be good at least around here and we live in the flat only about 500' above sea level. Second thing is, try to follow someone who is babying an ecoboost with a na v8 truck. If you try this it will explain a lot. The trucks take off so effortlessly that I will almost guarantee you are pushing it harder than you think. I could be wrong but I have followed my brother when he is babying his truck, and getting 22 mpg, and I'm running my 5.4 at a pretty decent clip to keep up (and getting no where near 22 mpg). Now I know that when your following someone your always pushing it a little harder. Even when I drove his truck with a trailer at about 5,000 lbs I was taking off with traffic with out even trying to keep up.

It seems to me that the trucks with 18" wheels and 3.55 gears seem to do the best as far as mileage. The 18" wheels and 3.73 gears come in a close second but as soon as you step up to 20" wheels, well I don't know anyone personally that gets decent mileage with them. To be honest I don't know anyone with 3.31 gears getting decent mileage either but as I'm typing this the only trucks I can think of have 20" wheels to go with them. The other big item of note is speed. These trucks just don't like to be run over 60 for mileage. For a little perspective, my older 5.4 (2010) is the same way, as a matter of fact the only truck that I have owned or driven for any amount of time that doesn't suffer from running over 60 is my wife's 5.0. It seems to like to run about 70. However, I can easily get 15 mpg out of it.

The 5.0 was running down around 15 mpg this winter and the 5.4 was running about 17. Usually the 5.0 does better than that and runs about 17 in the winter. In the summer the 5.4 will run about 20 and the 5.0 will run about 21.5. I know everyone has different experiences and I'm sure someone will have some claim to dispute something I've said but these are simply my thoughts on the matter.

2010 2wd, standar cab, long bed, 17" wheels, 3.55 gears, 5.4 20 mpg
2011 4wd, crew cab, short bed, 18" wheels, 3.55 gears, 5.0 21.5 mpg
2011 4wd, crew cab, short bed, 18" wheels, 3.73 gears, 3.5 eco 20 mpg
2012 4wd, extended cab, short bed, 3.55 gears, 3.5 eco 22 mpg
2014 4wd, crew cab, short bed, 20" wheels, 3.31 gears, 3.5 eco 18 mpg

These are the trucks I've had the most experience with and no I do not own all them, only the top two the rest have been or are owned by friends/family. The above is the highest mileage that can be achieved repeatedly by the trucks in the summer months. Mostly highway type miles on fairly flat ground. These are all hand calculated mileages.

Something interesting happens in the winter months, basically all the eco's drop down to around 16 to 17. Winter blend gas, cold air, or whatever it is. The na trucks down to something close as well.

Sorry this is so long

Old 05-03-2015, 12:12 PM
TEC
New User
Also, have a look at this page and it explains the EPA test cycle.

Detailed Test Information

For instance, max acceleration for city mileage test is 3.3 mph/sec and on the highway test it is 3.2 mph/sec. So as to your unreasonable expectation for acceleration, I'd have to agree with you. That is slow, even for me but it does help to explain why small turbo engines do well. I doubt you would be getting into the turbo much.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
VegasF150
Junior User
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Guys, reporting short term mileage is worthless. It takes almost the entire tank of fuel before the numbers will converge on a stable average. Stop resetting the gauge and filling so often. And stop telling us numbers from your drive to McDonalds.

VegasF150, I agree that your mileage sounds terrible. I have a previous gen truck 3.5 Ecoboost and average 16 mpg mixed city/highway and 16.5-18 mpg freeway depending on headwind. The worst I ever got on a tank was 14 mpg in severe cold weather. I have 3.73 gears 4x4 and the largest, heaviest body style there was, and a 230 lb topper. My mileage is worse than most Ecoboost owners so I would expect your numbers to easily beat mine. Something is wrong with your truck.

I never got the magical increase at 10K miles. Been the same since day one.
Last time I didn't reset and ran the whole tank it was 11.3 haven't done it for a few weeks but I'll do that on this next tank since I will be refueling today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost Bad fuel mileage