Sponsored by: Moser

Dealer experience with spray-in liner

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:35 AM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dealer experience with spray-in liner

Hi all, I just got a new 2014 Supercrew Lariat from a dealer in Albuquerque, as I went outside my local dealer as I wanted specific truck with EcoBoost, max tow package, and long bed out of shrinking 2014 inventory at this time of year. I wanted the outgoing model year. Was pleased with the deal on the new truck as got nice rebates and discounts. Sacrificed my 2007 Supercrew, for a trade in, most of us are never satisfied with dealer's trade in offer anyhow but I knew dealer need to stay in business so it was acceptable. During the buying process, i asked if they do spray-in liner at dealer. The salesman said yes, with Line-x. I was surprised and quickly jumped in to have them do it before I pick the truck up and sign the deal. Their price was pretty steep at $740, but thinking it would be easier to have them done right away and have it compiled into payment with such quality product in Line-x. After I took it home beamly, the next day I saw the label on the bed showing other than Line-x. Puzzled, found out that it's not Line-x as I was led to believe after calling the business name on the label. They assured me that it's similar to Line-x and their cost was $400. I suddenly felt betrayed about this spray-in situation. Called the salesman and told him about my displeasure, he spoke with his manager and the accessory manager afterward then he decided to say that I was misunderstood and never told me it was Line-x. Stunned that salesman decided to side with his managers. Told them that they should either refund me or pay me difference at their actual cost.
Should I pursuit this somehow or I should swallow this one up. All that I'm pleased with my new truck but am having bitter taste with this dealership.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main thing is that you are pleased with the new truck, but disappointed with the scam from the dealer. Lesson learned.............never go back to that dealer. Good luck with the new truck!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
"Line-X"

Depends on what your time is worth.
Most dealerships have a website, e-mail the "salesmanager" describing what you asked for, what you got and the price difference. Ask for a "rebate" or even store credit of sorts. If they reply, you now have a hard copy of your issue.
Reply back that you really do not want to go to court to settle the issue.

Do your homework, warranty & feature details Line-X vs. Brand-X.

Like I said, depends what your time is worth.

Enjoy the truck, I've had my "14XLT Screw for a month and am still in the process of personalizing.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Chelle87
Freshman User
That is pretty disappointing. I would definitely pursue it further with the dealer. You were promised Line-X and they did not follow through.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you get it in writing that it was line-x?? verbal means nothing

Old 04-26-2015, 09:22 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
X2 as Chelle87 and brokenleg as I would pursue this issue. But check first to make sure it was stated in writing that Line-X was what was going to be sprayed. Otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on. Also check out the brand of spray in liner that was used. Find out if it is any good. Many claim to be just as good, but fall way short of the Line-X quality and durability. For me there are only 2 brands I would trust. They are Line-X and Rhino liners. No others for me. And for me I would choose their original formula's as well. You know the ones that when applied end up being an 1/8th" thick. Those in my experience seem to be the best. And if you don't mind and the mods are ok with it. How about posting some pics. of the liner that you have installed. Along with the truck. Hehehe.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 PM
dilas
Tuned
UPDATE:

Wrote email to dealer's new car sales manager, explained the situation to him. He said my satisfaction is important, so he's willing to reimburse the difference due to miscommunication. So I'm ok with it, yet I feel somewhat bitter, not able to get the Line-x I hoped. But the dealer stated that they've been doing business with the local vendor for so long and is guaranteed lifetime. Sigh....
Now time to shift the attention into driving and enjoying the EcoBoost power!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I suspect it came down to profit. They got a higher profit margin.....over the line-x. I also wouldn't believe its a "miscommunication"....but if they reimbursed you the difference, well, at least its got a bedliner........Although, next time have it in writing, and be very insistent about it.....

Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Yeah what he ^^^^ said.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:11 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
P.S. We NEED some dang pics!!! DAMMIT

Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
What kind of warranty was offered with the Brand X liner? Make sure you take it back for inspections as required.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 PM
dilas
Tuned
Originally Posted by paredneck33
P.S. We NEED some dang pics!!! DAMMIT
LOL.... alright, haven't really gotten decent pixs of the new truck. But here's the sprayin bed liner. I'm pleased despite not the Line-x brand.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
It sounds to me that the salesman used the term "line-x" as a generic meaning (that you recognize) for a spray in liner. When people do this, they assume that you are stupid and unable to comprehend what is said. I hate this with a passion.

I think you did right by asking the dealer to reimburse the difference. Had the salesman stated that the dealer uses an off brand installer but highlighted the fact that it carries a lifetime warranty, you could have made an educated decision and said "no thank you, I'll handle it" or, "I'll offer you this amount for the off brand product".

Anyway, it worked, it's covered and you have a complete beautiful new truck.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:15 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my truck used. It only had 2200 miles. It has a sprayed in bedliner. I have no idea of the brand. I have used it, thrown tools in it, hauled wood, etc. There have been no problems with chips, peeling, etc.

I would approach the sevice manager on a refund of the difference and escalate up to the general manager if need be. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer sends it out to be sprayed and the difference is overhead. But don't hold your breath waiting for a refund. Maybe take some free service in trade?

But if the liner holds up, you should be ok.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:21 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
liner looks good in the truck and I'm glad to see they removed the bed bolts before spraying the liner. A lot of the other companies spray over the bolts which spells disaster if you ever need to remove the bed.

Quick Reply: Dealer experience with spray-in liner