Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Not happy with John Wood Automotive!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not happy with John Wood Automotive!

Well i Ordered my 6.0 trans cooler from John Wood last week. Just trying to get my truck ready for the busy camping season coming up. When i called to order, I SPECIFICALLY asked if the cooler was a 31 row and also if it was a Ford OEM part. They told me YES! Well UPS delivered it today. I get it opened and the first thing I notice is it's all black? Not gray aluminum like the factory OEM cooler that they are advertising on there website.. Then i see the sticker "MADE IN CHINA" with the Dorman part#918-216 !! It cost me $375.00 and I could have gotten the same thing from RockAuto for $150.00!!!!

Has anyone else ordered this cooler from them??

Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Send it back and get one here:

6.0L Transmission Cooler 26 Row - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Don't think you will see any difference between a 26 and a 31 row in our trucks

Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I have run a 26 row Ford cooler and haven't seen above 190°. I can't see the larger getting you anything more.

I would talk to John directly, I have run his stuff for a long time and have been very happy. I would hope he wouldn't sell Dorman crap... OEM for the win!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^^

That's great, there's no way I would buy a used trany cooler for my transmission, I'm just sayin! JMO thought!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdw1
^^^^^

That's great, there's no way I would buy a used trany cooler for my transmission, I'm just sayin! JMO thought!
I bought a used one about 6 years ago... drained it, sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner inside then used compressed air (40psi I'd guess) to blow it out, than an hour later "sacrificed" a quart of trans fluid (filled, sloshed around, disposed of properly) and installed it. Zero problems with it.

Check it over thoroughly, and buy from a place that will either 1) accept returns and/or swap it out, or 2) is so dirt cheap it's worth the gamble.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact that you paid for an OE cooler and got an aftermarket one is wrong.

Send it back and either buy an OE one somewhere else, or as I would do, save the $150+ and run the Dorman cooler......

Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Before bitching about a market niche company on a niche forum, perhaps you should take it up with said company first. At least give them a chance to make it right before complaining "publicly". It might've been a misunderstanding or an employee having a bad day.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:46 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford79
The fact that you paid for an OE cooler and got an aftermarket one is wrong.

Send it back and either buy an OE one somewhere else, or as I would do, save the $150+ and run the Dorman cooler......
That is exactly why I'm upset. I didn't mind paying extra because I wanted a OEM cooler. That is what they advertise on there website and what they told me i was getting! If i wanted the Dorman I would have saved $225.00...
Was hoping to install it this weekend. Now I have to wait till Monday to call them and send it back to California from Connecticut. then wait till they credit my $$ back so I can order from somewhere else...

Old 04-25-2015, 09:58 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by mechelement
Before bitching about a market niche company on a niche forum, perhaps you should take it up with said company first. At least give them a chance to make it right before complaining "publicly". It might've been a misunderstanding or an employee having a bad day.
I purposely bought from them because of there reputation. The picture on there website is of a Ford OEM 31 row cooler. I specifically asked before ordering if it was a OEM cooler and they said yes. I don't have a reason to be mad?? And just ask if anyone else has ordered this cooler from them and ended up with the same thing??

Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I purposely bought from them because of there reputation. The picture on there website is of a Ford OEM 31 row cooler. I specifically asked before ordering if it was a OEM cooler and they said yes. I don't have a reason to be mad?? And just ask if anyone else has ordered this cooler from them and ended up with the same thing??
No, you take it up with the company first, then post. That's business.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Ty_Deschaine
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the OEM cooler from John Wood. Mine was 100% OEM. Came with all the fittings to install and it went in like a dream. I'm sure there was a mis understanding and they will get it sorted.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Bad luck

Yeah, call the company first. Things can't be perfect 100% for any company- sometimes you just get the bad luck.

Especially for a company who has done so well for so many, it may require some patience and understanding. Get it corrected for sure, but don't stress over it.

For example, I have had TWO missed deliveries and am now 3 WEEKS into waiting for an exhaust that was supposed to arrive within a few days. It's held up my entire build.

I've contacted the company several times, each time being told it will be taken care of.

Sure, I'm not pleased, same as you But when I see how good they have been with so many, I just have to step back and give them time to work it out.

Okay, you've vented. We all give them a virtual sneer Now, let's get it squared away and back to your build so you can better enjoy your ride!

Reminds me, I should call to find out where my exhaust is. LOL!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:59 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
According to Mark K., who was a transmission engineer with Ford, the 26-row unit is a later design which had better flow porting internal to the cooler and was actually more efficient than the initial 31-row version.

I expect the fact that AutoNation has the 31-row unit priced higher is probably due to simple marketing tactics based on consumer impression/opinion/demand, and might even indicate a reduced supply of them... you know... the whole supply-vs-demand scenario.

Do NOT take that last comment as a swipe at AutoNation... I've purchased from them numerous times and will do so again... I'm just pointing out some real world facts so someone armed with them can get a better price for the better unit while avoiding the marketing gimmicks of the corporate bean counters... double-win in my book.

Quick Reply: Not happy with John Wood Automotive!