6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New 6.7, first question (Morning warm up)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New 6.7, first question (Morning warm up)

As I understand it, you don't want to idle these things too much, but I was wondering how long, if at all, I can warm it up at idle in the morning before taking off? Does it hurt much, or should I take right off and drive easy the first few miles? Thanks in advance for advise.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 AM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Michigan and during the cold winter months I might let it warm up for ten minutes or so but honestly it does very little to actually warm the motor up. During the non cold months I jump in and let it idle maybe a couple of minutes. I think you'll be good as long as you're not letting it idle for an extended period of time.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:08 AM
vermilian
Senior User
Originally Posted by 22rimfire
As I understand it, you don't want to idle these things too much, but I was wondering how long, if at all, I can warm it up at idle in the morning before taking off? Does it hurt much, or should I take right off and drive easy the first few miles? Thanks in advance for advise.
Generally I do the same, about 10 mins though I usually like to see my temps abound 60*f before I drive off, just to make the shifts a little easier

Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys, and as a follow up refresher; Why is it that these newer diesels shouldn't idle for long periods? Is it the build up in the emissions filter etc, or something more complicated than that?

One other comment off the subject. Only 300 miles on the clock, but this truck shifts way better than the '13 gasser did. Much firmer from the get-go. Hope it stays that way.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
I remote start then put my coffee in the thermos and then go. Just drive slower for a few miles.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
A lot of us have learned over the years having these 6.7's that they don't warm up idling. I idled in the winter for several years but I'm generally hard headed and stuck in my ways but the fact is, this truck warms up much faster driving it around the neighborhood. The truck will inform you if it is too cold and will prevent you from moving it for a short period of time. As others said, just take it easy until your oil is at operating temp. After that, don't baby it all of the time either. I have idled much less the past two winters.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
I agree with Kyper. These trucks don't produce much heat at idle. Get a little turbo boost and they warm up pretty fast.

That said, I usually hit my remote start as I head out the door. Feed the horses and then jump in the truck. I've got my truck set on 5 min warm up and it rarely turns off on it's own. So my warm up is less than the 5 min

Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As with most things, depends on how you use it. Do you drive 20min to and from work? If you commute, I'd warm it up less like the above posts. If you drive regularly to and from job sites all over logging in 100+ miles/day I don't think it matters how much you idle it. My engine typically runs 6-12hrs each day. When it's moving its towing a trailer for hours at a time.

Before my days begin in the driver seat I start the truck, load my suitcase, do a quick visual inspection/walk around, grab a drink from the cooler, wipe off the mirrors, get in the seat, set my phone, program nav destination, and go. Takes about 10 mins. 500 miles later I park and shut down. Whatever harm I'm causing by idling a bit more gets undone by virtue of loading the engine pretty good all day, I think....

So, it depends. Consistent light use? Don't idle it. Consistent heavy use? Idle all you need.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
I start mine, put seat belt on, then put it in gear and go. There is a 25mph speed limit on my road for the first 3 miles which is my easy time. Hit the local 7/11 let it run while I grab what I need then hit the highway. The remote start is used for the hot days getting the cabin temps down so there may be a few additional idling minutes there, but not many.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,615 Likes on 1,641 Posts
I have about 3/8 mile of dirt before I see pavement, so if I am not towing, I just run that at Idle speed, then when I get on the pavement, I use light throttle until things start warming up. Then progressively use more and more throttle as the beast warms up. When towing I do let it idle for a few minutes before moving, then use similar strategy.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I let mine idle for 10 minutes or so before taking off. I have let mine idle all night before, BUT I am deleted. So the only thing I'm hurting is mpg and my wallet.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:22 AM
desertnomad
Senior User
I idle for about one minute then go. If its real cold (20's) I let it idle for ~5 minutes.

From the Diesel supplement:
For temperatures below 32°F (0°C), the use of the correct grade engine
oil is essential for proper operation. Refer to Engine oil specifications
in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information.
Your vehicle may be equipped with a cold weather starting strategy that
prevents severe engine damage by assisting in engine lubrication
warm-up. In extremely cold ambient temperatures, this strategy activates and prevents the accelerator pedal from being used for 30 seconds after starting the vehicle. By not allowing the accelerator pedal to be used, the engine oil is allowed to properly lubricate the bearings preventing engine damage due to lack of proper lubrication. After the 30 second warm-up period, the accelerator pedal will be operational again as long as the pedal is not being pressed when the 30 second time limit expires. When starting the engine in extremely cold temperatures (-15°F [–26°C]), it is recommended to allow the engine to idle for several minutes before driving the vehicle.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:11 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When its cold I hit the remote start, put my shoes on then get in and go, but I do take it easy until the oil temp gets up to 100 degrees, after that let her rip. When its warm I just get in start it, watch the gauges come to life then take it easy until the oil temp is 100 degrees.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I live in a pretty cold climate, I plug in when temps are 20F or below. I have never seen the 30 second wait to drive message. I have only had the truck in -20F. I do hit the cold start high idle often though... (even when plugged in overnight)

And I too have noticed no real heat when idling... So I let it idle a minute or so and go easy until the temps come up.

Quick Reply: New 6.7, first question (Morning warm up)