Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2008 F-350 SRW Brake Master Cylinder Sensor blow out question

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 04-18-2015, 06:50 PM
JohnC4X4
New User
JohnC4X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.

2008 F350 SRW 4X4 V10 with 135K miles One owner

Going down the highway doing 65MPH with a 2 car trailer behind me with one car on it.
As I approach the exit there is a truck getting ready to merge onto the highway >> car in front of me getting ready to exit
They decide to pace each other >> and then
COMES TO A FULL STOP next to each other!!!

I do (or try to) a Panic stop
I get a mil a second of stopping THEN the pedal goes right to the bottom
Luckily there was no traffic to my left and I was able to swerve into the fast lane
I limped home using trailer brakes and took the truck to my mechanic
Looks like there are 2 sensors on the bottom of the Master Cylinder
Forward one blew out

Common Problem??
Can just the sensor be replaced or sensors come with the Master Cylinder?
Guessing this is a dealer owner part so I am stuck til Monday

Thanks for any input

Truck with trailer<br/>

Old 04-20-2015, 04:04 PM
JohnC4X4
New User
JohnC4X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Didn't get any replies here BUT must be a fairly common problem as the local Ford place >> Metro in Raynham Ma >> Had the part on hand

Truck was an easy fix, just needed a new sensor installed and bleed the brakes
I was back on the road by noon today and only $250.00 lighter

So down about 48 hours and that was over a weekend for parts availability

Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Psyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to allPsyclopse is a name known to all
The forward sensor is the cruise control switch that is the subject of the many, many recalls on the older trucks (the other is a brake fluid level switch). I'm not sure if the 2008 was affected by the cruise switch recall or not- I'm guessing not since you took it to a Ford dealer and were charged for the repair. Had this been one of the recalls, your switch replacement would have been free and there's be a new fuse hanging out near the switch.

Look on the bright side- your quick thinking saved your truck, your life and those around you. If this would have been the older SD trucks, you might be posting about how your truck burned down on the side of the highway!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Never heard of it being a problem before.

Did the sensor blow apart?
Did the sensor blow out of the master cylinder?

Are there any modifications to it?

in 2008 the forward sensor is the sensor for the TowCommand brake controller. The rear sensor is for cruise control, and the top sensor is for fluid level. It was your TBC sensor that failed. Is there any way you somehow ended up with a vacuum boost master cylinder on a hydraulic boost pickup?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Slackdaddy
Junior User
Slackdaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
never heard of this failure,,
Did the sensor blow apart?
Did the threads in the MC fail?
Did the threads on the sensor fail??

Thanks for sharing,

Slack

Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 PM
CarolinianFordLover
New User
CarolinianFordLover is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think I have a similar problem, I had to brake really hard and my pedal went straight down to the bottem and all of this fluid starting pouring down into the pedal area, I lost power steering and my brake so I drove home with my E brake, now im wondering if my sensor blew out too or is it an entirely different problem.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
That sounds like the piston seal in the master cylinder failed!

The ports leaking wouldn't send fluid into the cabin, but only the engine compartment. The piston seal leaking would send fluid out around the rod that connects to the brake pedal.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Scott Grace
New User
Scott Grace is starting off with a positive reputation.
this same thing just happened yesterday to my 2008 f350 plow truck. I just finished up plowing for the day and someone plowing a driveway backed out in front of me. I stepped as hard as I could on the brakes to stop and pop.... pedal straight to the floor. NO BRAKES. luckily I was on a rural road with no traffic and I was only a mile from the shop. got to the shop...had to drop the blade to stop. all around the master cylinder was soaked with fluid and forward sensor was rusted and blown apart.

my question.....was anyone able to replace just the sensor or did you have to do the entire master cylinder?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Puddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud ofPuddy has much to be proud of

Just had the same thing happen to a work truck of ours