General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Atlas pinnacle shingles? Experience ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:35 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Atlas pinnacle shingles? Experience ?

After the recent hailstorm, my ins co is covering a new roof. the local guy I want to use brought some samples of atlas pinnacle shingles, I've never heard of them, but I'm no roofer. Is this a decent product?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How frequent are the hail storms around you? My personal recommendation is Rubber environmentally friendly roofing products! -

Around here we are getting more and more frequent hail storms and these euroshield rubber roofs are the ones being installed more and more as well. You're insurance probably won't cover the complete cost of these as they are more pricey but if you can cover the difference you won't have to re roof after the next hail storms roll through.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,296 Posts
google "atlas pinnacle shingles complaints" or ".....problems".

This one is a pretty good exchange:

Problems With Atlas Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

I was going to talk about my satisfactory roof experience with a roof installed in 2002. Some problems with the install, which I will have to deal with. But the shingles lived through a "100 year" storm here where we had at least 70 mph gusts. So I go to search for problems as I did with the Atlas stuff. Turns out my roof might be the subject of a class action!!!!!

I gotta go dig through all that stuff from the remodel! GAF Timberlines fwiw.

Wouldn't you know if I did have problems I might in line for money or a new roof. Since they are fine.....Oh well.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
google "atlas pinnacle shingles complaints" or ".....problems".

This one is a pretty good exchange:

Problems With Atlas Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

I was going to talk about my satisfactory roof experience with a roof installed in 2002. Some problems with the install, which I will have to deal with. But the shingles lived through a "100 year" storm here where we had at least 70 mph gusts. So I go to search for problems as I did with the Atlas stuff. Turns out my roof might be the subject of a class action!!!!!

I gotta go dig through all that stuff from the remodel! GAF Timberlines fwiw.

Wouldn't you know if I did have problems I might in line for money or a new roof. Since they are fine.....Oh well.
That's what we had installed three years ago. They are good for 50 years if the installer is a certified GAF installer and they can withstand a sustained 125 MPH gust. As for hail protection, I'm not sure.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Go with a National brand: CertainTeed, GAF, or Owens Corning.
Regional brands like Atlas, TAMKO, or Malarkey (yes, seriously) are cheaper and use gimmicks like ScotchGard to sell to unwitting customers.

Disclosure: I am a distributor for commercial and residential roofing products.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mecdac
Go with a National brand: CertainTeed, GAF, or Owens Corning.
Regional brands like Atlas, TAMKO, or Malarkey (yes, seriously) are cheaper and use gimmicks like ScotchGard to sell to unwitting customers.

Disclosure: I am a distributor for commercial and residential roofing products.
I would second this opinion. I've been in the trades almost 20 years, and I've seen the regional brands come and go, usually on the lower-end tract homes. On the better homes, the national brands he mentioned have always been there.

Jason

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I will say again though, if you are in a frequent hail storm area I would stay away from ashphalt shingles. Why keep putting the same thing on again if it doesn't hold up.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I will say again though, if you are in a frequent hail storm area I would stay away from ashphalt shingles. Why keep putting the same thing on again if it doesn't hold up.
All fine and wonderful if the product was available in the US, he is in the "NW burbs of Chicago".

The product that you have mentioned twice is only available in Canada.

Here is an alternative: Gerard USA Metal Roofing | Premium Stone Coated Steel Roofing Systems

or http://www.davinciroofscapes.com/

Or hail resistant asphalt aka IR = Impact Resistant, available from the national brands mentioned above.

Last edited by mecdac; 04-19-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-19-2015, 01:23 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

I know where he is, I did not endorse anything in my second post bucko. Just recommend not going with ashphalt regardless of its "impact resistant" claims. There must be some company down in the US who makes a product similar to what I "endorsed" in my FIRST post.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
I know where he is, I did not endorse anything in my second post bucko. Just recommend not going with ashphalt regardless of its "impact resistant" claims. There must be some company down in the US who makes a product similar to what I "endorsed" in my FIRST post.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys,

As far as hail, we get a decent storm every 3-4 years.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:33 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Originally Posted by mecdac

The Dude abides!

Mecdac, maybe there is an opportunity for you to become a distributor of the product down in the states? Especially with the current state of the exchange rate could be a good profit margin.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend

Hail storms happen in the Midwest, but it's not like they're often. It takes a pretty serious hail storm to damage a roof (probably at least grape-sized hail stones or larger), and those are quite rare. I'm about 3 hours SE of jake00, and in my almost 20 years of home ownership, I have yet to have hail damage. It's been close a couple times, but the hail portion of a storm tends to be confined to a small area.

Not to mention, there's the cost issue. The average length of ownership of a house is 5 years. A vastly more expensive roof product won't necessarily add enough to the value of the home for the seller to recoup their costs when they sell the home in a few years.

Jason

Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by jroehl
Hail storms happen in the Midwest, but it's not like they're often. It takes a pretty serious hail storm to damage a roof (probably at least grape-sized hail stones or larger), and those are quite rare. I'm about 3 hours SE of jake00, and in my almost 20 years of home ownership, I have yet to have hail damage. It's been close a couple times, but the hail portion of a storm tends to be confined to a small area.

Not to mention, there's the cost issue. The average length of ownership of a house is 5 years. A vastly more expensive roof product won't necessarily add enough to the value of the home for the seller to recoup their costs when they sell the home in a few years.

Jason
In the case of the GAF Timberlines, the warranty is transferable provided that your installer is GAF certified and you have all the documentation proving when the work was done.

Ridge vents have to be cut in where there were none, ice and water shield must be applied appropriately and the correct number of nails per shingle must have been used and it must be installed over clean roof decking.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tseekins
In the case of the GAF Timberlines, the warranty is transferable provided that your installer is GAF certified and you have all the documentation proving when the work was done.

Ridge vents have to be cut in where there were none, ice and water shield must be applied appropriately and the correct number of nails per shingle must have been used and it must be installed over clean roof decking.
Dang Tim, I need you to come and do a training for our contractors.

Quick Reply: Atlas pinnacle shingles? Experience ?