edtahaney
FTE Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Ranger Lawsuit

Read the latest news by Chad Kirchner here:

Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Ranger Lawsuit - Ford Trucks

Also, more information can be found in this article here:

Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger | CarComplaints.com

If you have a 2001 and older Ranger you might want to check out the accelerator assembly. - Ed

Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
HMMMMMMM> that would be one way to fix my 2500rpm idle issue

Old 04-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds kinda fishy to me. An '01 Ranger is what, 14 years old? In all that time, this is the first I've ever heard of that issue, and I've been reading and posting to several Ranger forums for almost that amount of time.

I'd sure like to know what other years and models use that same "defective" accelerator assembly...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 98 Ranger with a 3.0 that I have owned since 2002. Twice over the years I have had the throttle cable bind and not allow it to return to idle. The outer sleeve of the cable would pull out of the firewall which would cause the throttle to remain partially open. This was always caused by me and was very obvious because of the very high idle. The first time was when I raised the engine a few inches in order to install a new oil pan and the second time was while I was replacing head gaskets. I was not driving the truck either time and the fix was simple, I just put the sleeve back into its proper place.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
Ford never has these kind of issues. The truck is old and who knows how many people have touched it and or abused it. It's not like Toyota's recall where new vehicles were effected and there was a mass of vehicles it was happening too.

Sounds to me like the guy is sue happy like everyone else in this world and wanted free money. Throw the truck in neutral hit the brakes and pull over. Engine continued to rev until it blew apart? How about shut it off to avid a fire? Guy sounds like an idiot to me.

People need to stop this nonsense. Pretty soon the car manufactures will stop making cars because they're too worried someone will sue and then these same people will complain they have no car. Newsflash; nothing in this world is perfect.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998F150XLT
Sounds to me like the guy is sue happy like everyone else in this world and wanted free money. Throw the truck in neutral hit the brakes and pull over. Engine continued to rev until it blew apart? How about shut it off to avid a fire? Guy sounds like an idiot to me.
Yep... same idiots that couldn't seem to figure out how to deal with a stuck accelerator in a Toyota.. should have had their licenses revoked for being too stupid to live. Now if ford should be sued over anything it should be for broken exhaust manifold studs and spark plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors... something virtually every single one of these engines suffers from.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Yep... same idiots that couldn't seem to figure out how to deal with a stuck accelerator in a Toyota.. should have had their licenses revoked for being too stupid to live. Now if ford should be sued over anything it should be for broken exhaust manifold studs and spark plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors... something virtually every single one of these engines suffers from.
I can't see that being a lawsuit. Although I've done quite a few manifold jobs and they SUCK. They should have used stainless hardware I will admit that. Far as the plugs, again not a real safety issue but 4 threads per head was BS. They did correct these problems in I believe 01.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Yeah maybe not a lawsuit but definitely should be an unconditional recall on both issues, I have broken exhaust studs on my '06 van that I just got.. not looking forward to that job.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM
taz11
New User
It looks like Ford got the shaft on that one.

$100 says he had his foot firmly on the brake with the edge of his shoe just catching the edge of the gas pedal.... done it many times myself. The difference would be that I realised the issue and corrected it. Sounds like he missed at least 3 opportunaties to avoid this.

The path this country is taking.....

Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll never figger out why these people don't just turn off the key, it sounds as if he had plenty of time.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You know these things have ignition switches You can turn them off when things malfunction.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The problem with turning the key off, then the wheel locks and they are not smart enough to turn it back to acc to get control back.

Also, I have NEVER began in any vehicle that the brakes will not stop the car. Even under FULL THROTTLE

Old 04-18-2015, 08:55 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Diesel, I think you have to push the key-release to get the key into the 'lock' position. At least I have to do that on my 85. Wheel is un-lockable unless I push the button below the wheel. You will lose power steering and mebbe power brakes past one application.
Have you ever had a child reach over and turn the key to OFF? That's a revelation...
tom

Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I've had the sticking throttle happen on my then new 99 Ranger, when coming to a stop light while towing my bass boat. I realized what was happening as I applied the brakes the vehicle didn't slow. I felt & heard the engine surge when I applied the brakes, so I quickly shifted to "N" & let the engine rev limiter take care of things. It went up to something like 3600-4000 rpm before regaining control. It was kind of exciting, as I too had traffic in front of me at the stop light, but it happened far enough in advance that I was able to react & stop in time.
It happened several more times over the years, while towing & not towing but always when coming to a stop. I was always ready & just shifted to "N" & let er rev until the rev limiter regained control. Replacing the OEM IAC with a BWD seems to have fixed my problem, as I've not had it happen for several years now!!!!????

Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
If the accelerator on my 87 sticks (it has), is Ford liable for that also? How about a leaky brake line? Or ...

Quick Reply: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Ranger Lawsuit