4.0L SOHC engine knock on start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:09 PM
jcgriffin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son's 4.0 L Explorer has an engine knock when it is started after sitting for a few hours. This knock last about 30 seconds and then goes away. If you shut the engine down and then restart it there is no knock.

I am guessing that there is a problem with upper engine oiling or something. Does anyone have a clue on this problem?

Regards, JC

Last edited by jcgriffin; 07-26-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Billy177
Senior User

run some fuel injector/system cleaner through the engine also make sure he is using the right octane gas how many miles are on the explorer

Old 07-26-2003, 05:51 PM
jcgriffin
New User

I run techroline through it on a monthly basis already.... it is not that kind of knock.

I should have been more discriptive on the sound that it makes... it sounds just like a stuck lifter on an old push rod engine. While I am not too familiar with these new SOHC engines.... I don't think these engines use a hydraulic divices that pumps up like hydralic lifters (do they)? My understanding is that they use a roller that directly operates the valves?

This engine has 40,000 miles on it.

JC

Last edited by jcgriffin; 07-26-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Billy177
Senior User

did you have the timing chain guides replaced under recall also the intake manifold gasket because the original cam guides were originally made of PLASTIC which doesent mix well inside an engine

and yes there are two camshafts in this engine above the valves eliminating the need for pushrods the camshaft directly opens the valves

Old 07-26-2003, 10:20 PM
jcgriffin
New User

No, we didn't have that mod done... My son some how missed the recall. His close friend is the original owner and I bet he got the notice.

I supose he can still have the work done by the dealer for gratis?

Last edited by jcgriffin; 07-26-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:55 PM
jcgriffin
New User

Billy177,

I found a TSB on timing chain rattling, I wonder if this could be his problem? The recall you mentioned was published in 2000 and my son's explorer iwas made in 2001 so I am not sure it would apply to his truck. I wonder, does Ford pay for repairs on TSBs?????

Here is the TSB that sounds like it might apply - 02-8-1 APR 02 Engine - Timing Chain Rattling Noise

JC

Old 07-27-2003, 10:20 PM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User

I got the same problem on my Explorer Sport Trac but its a little different.
If you drive the truck to work and back and let it sit for about 30 min. and restart it, the truck will make a heavy knock, but only ONCE. And it only knocks then the starter kicks in.
The truck doesnt even have 1,000 miles on it yet.
I gotta take it back to Ford but I wanna here what you guys think about this to shed some light on this mystery problem.
Another weird thing on this motor is that I bought it with 4.10 gears but it feels much slower at the light than my other 2002 Explorer Limited with 3.73 gears.
I dunno what the deal is with this truck.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by NASCARTruckDude; 07-27-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:44 AM
jcgriffin
New User

I went over to the dealership this morning.

My service advisor said that I could definitely get some help from Ford on this one. The service guy wouldn't guess on how much help I could expect from Ford...... (he hinted, maybe half of the bill)

What I would like to know is why there is any plastic used in making these engines.... (a retorical question) I know the eviromental laws, CAFE standards and etc. are why we have to put up with this C***. Ford learned a hard lesson this year on putting plastic on the new 6.0 diesel. In my world plastic has no place being used in the internals of any engine.

BTW - I just traded a dodge truck with the same mickey mouse problems.

JC

Old 08-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Chuckymadness
Freshman User

I was told by Ford that there wasn't a "recall" on the Chain Guide Assembly, but that if the customer brought their vehicle in for the noise, that it would've been covered up to 100k miles. Some recall huh?

There was a comment made by another member that even when they had their vehicle repaired that Ford didn't cover all of the costs. So that may be an issue as well.

If it is indeed the cam chain guide assembly that's causing the noise, so far you won't get any help from Ford. I was told that people who had internet access in 2000/2001 would have been aware of the Customer Concern issue by visited Ford's website.

Don't you just love 'em?

Old 08-27-2003, 05:16 PM
dogman
Elder User

I took my 2000 Explorer in on a hood latch recall,The hood latch had been replaced.But the dealer said there was a recall on timing chain Guide/tensioners. And they replace the parts. NO CHARGE. Can't hurt to see, most they could say is no.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Chuckymadness
Freshman User

First, it's only by owner notification that you will get a chance to have your parts replaced. Unless they've just changed the stipulations for the chain guide/tensioner program within the last 4 months or so it won't apply to most of us. However, I'll call a dealership and see what they have to say. But then again, I don't want anyone touching my vehicle and causing more problems.

Second, I was told NO by the dealer's service dept because my vehicle exceeded the 100,000 mile limitation for the program. 1997, XLT SOHC, 119,500 mi.

Third, I called Ford's Customer Service who also told me NO and that's where I stated the info outlining the Owner Notification Recall Program.

Finally, glad you got your vehicle checked out. However, most of us are just out of luck because our vehicles are older and exceed the mileage limitation. My post was just a "heads-up" for all those who wanted to know about the issue.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:39 PM
dogman
Elder User

Well OK, I hope you get the info. you need and the problem fixed.

Old 08-30-2003, 09:33 AM
hd303
New User

Hi I have the same problem and talked to a friend that owns a dealership. What he came up with is that there have been a lot of people questioning the noise, and it is a design issue. They shortened the skirt on the pistons, and it's basicly piston slap. the pistons expan and the noise goes away. Chevy had the same problem when thiers and they line the skirt with Teflon. I don't think Ford will do anything about this, But I'm looking into it fully.

Old 08-30-2003, 05:09 PM
dogman
Elder User

Have you looked at synthetic oils??? To see if it helps?

Old 08-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you aren't using a Fram oil filter....

Quick Reply: 4.0L SOHC engine knock on start up